iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overrun by Chipmunks!

Started by Pete J, October 02, 2005, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonsBane

I can sympathize with you guys. We have a real problem here. Lots of chipmunks but no squirrels. Its really depressing to think about it. When I was a younger lad I can remember going squirrel huntin' and having no problem geting my limit a 6 a day. And that was being choosy about which ones I shot. Now all I see in the woods is those DanG chipmunks.

As for those chippies in question, the overall population was reduced by two boxes of 12 guage shells today. Not cheap, but very effective and more fun than my best day at work.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

Furby

Thought this would be a good place to post this one.

SwampDonkey

OOh, I got an itch, I think it's a flee.

Ouch! It bit me! I think I'll go chase down some pine cones.

;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Alrighty then, have it your way. War has just been declared on the wood pile.

Before they get themselves into more trouble than I can count bushy tails.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

We live far enough out of town that it isn't illegal to shoot.  ;)

We use a single-barrel 410 shotgun.  Don't have to be so precise with it!  ;D

They dig in the flower beds and under the swimming pool.

When they dig under the pool, after a period of time, their tunnels collapse and then we have a divot in the bottom of the pool.

So, now when we see a chipmunk (or red squirrel for that matter) one of us will go for the 410 and a shell or two.
Usually the 410 wins.  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

We've taken over 30 chipmunks this year. Probably closer to 40.  A five gallon bucket two thirds full of water with black sunflower seeds floating on top.  We have as many as 4 at once in there.  Single minded little devils. Almost always they completely fill their mouths with sunflower seeds before they drown.

There is no end to the little varmits.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Those 5 gallon pails make a pretty good trap Jeff.

We've used pretty-much the same thing at camp for mice.
We'd put a rod across the mouth of the pail with a can out in the middle, and peanut butter smeared on the can.
The can is free to spin on the rod.  A little piece of wood extends out so the critters can just about reach the peanut butter.
When they stretch too far, they fall into the pail.
In cold weather, we fill the pail about 1/3 full with used motor oil.  It won't freeze.  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I like the open top method for us, because it allows the bigger squirrels, that are not a nuisance for us, to easily escape.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I did clean up on the squirrels, there was 2 adults and babies. I don't mind the chipmunks so much. They stay out of the buildings and stash in the ground. I have no prized lawn. The skunks dig for grubs as well. Mom always called the lawn a ram pasture anyway, which it was a cow pasture in great grand dad's day. No such thing as manicured lawns back then, especially not on this estate. :D :D :D

indiaxman1

No problem with chipmunks here..got a few......many grey squirrels....season opens soon for them...wife feeds flying squirrels peanut suet....watch them fly in at dusk (unless screech owls around)...

Magicman

Quote from: indiaxman1 on July 12, 2010, 11:47:42 PM
watch them fly in at dusk (unless screech owls around)...

Screech owls gotta eat too.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bro. Noble

My son Tom used to live in a little house by our sawmill.  He had a screech owl that lived in his attic and a chipmonk that lived in the slab pile.  They entertained us keeping an eye on each other.  They are both cute and entertaining critters,  but can also be annoying.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

nas

We have a natural chipmunk control here.  We were sitting outside eating dinner yesterday and a kestrel came down and picked one off about 50' away from us.  It was cool. 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Onthesauk

Our two cats have gotten too old to catch them anymore so we were overrun with them this spring.  Then had a barred owl hanging around the house for about a week and pretty well cleaned them out.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

I have a lot of the smaller raptors here like kestrel as well. They often times come sit on the lead in wire. But, boy do they cause alarms to go off with all the little song birds around the house. Last year we had a mighty crop of them kestrels. In the fall when the robins were invading the old orchards and line fence rows after the berries, those things were swarming over them like sharks.  The robins were real noisy, I suppose to confuse the raptors. :D :D Be something to video tape. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!