iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Swing Mills near Kansas City?

Started by Tom the Sawyer, May 31, 2011, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

Did a site visit for a potential sawing job but the logs were too large for my B-20 and the owner has no way to move them to a circular mill.  Two logs from what was the State record shagbark hickory and an oak.  Both in the 40" diameter range.  Did some on-line searching to find someone for him but haven't found anyone close enough.  Kansas side of State line, 15 miles south of Kansas City.

Thanks,
Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Jeff

Meadows Miller and Sigidi are going to be on a vagabond sawmill journey this summer with a lucas, looking for saw jobs. Maybe see if they are going to be traveling anywhere near that area.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kansas

Tom, I know you called the other day and I meant to mention it to Gary that works for us, who has a swing mill. He might just want a good challenge like that.

Maybe the vagabond sawyers are the answer.
If the vagabonds show up, let me know. I might want to take a road trip. I would like to see that log.

Kcwoodbutcher

I have a tree service friend who had a line on that hickory. He's supposed to quarter the logs and haul them to me. He said he was friends with the owner and could have them for nothing. Wonder if it's the same guy or is this somebody else. That tree has been down a year so something has to happen soon.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Tom the Sawyer

Well, it certainly sounds like the same tree.  The hickory has been down a year, the oak a little longer.  He seemed to have plans for using the wood from both trees.  There was supposed to be a track hoe there yesterday to do some drainage work and he was going to have them move the trees so that they were easier to get to.  I told him that I could saw it if it was quartered but I don't have the chainsaw that could do that.  He does want to get a full width (3 x 36-40") slab out of the oak.

The important thing is that it gets sawn soon, the longer he waits the less he will get out of it.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!