iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If i could ask the small engine repair guys something

Started by limbrat, November 30, 2007, 11:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

Brigggs went through a series of small engines a couple of years ago that had the carb mounted right on top of the fuel tank. They have a pickup foot that goes straight into the tank on the side of the hole in the tank there is a tsp. size bowl that catches water. when that bowl gets full the engine stops runing. Is there a easy way to empty the bowl without removing the air filter can throttle and choke controls fuel tank and carb seperating them and dumping the bowl? 
ben

mike_van

That bowls not for water - if theres water in it, your gas is bad. The long tube with the screen in the bottom sucks fuel from the tank & dumps it into that bowl,  the engine runs off whats in the bowl, so it's always a constant level even as the tank gets emptyed.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

limbrat

Thats right Mike  a little water or the gas is hard to avoid with extreme care i would possibly never accumulate enough water in there to matter but it happens. I have one engine on a tiller and another on a trash pump neither one needs the repair now. Im just not looking forward to doing it again.
ben

sawguy21

If you have a recurring problem with water, use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol or methyl hydrate (gas line antifreeze) in the fuel. Briggs built more than a few engines with the Pulsa-Jet carburetor. The design has been around for close to fifty years.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Slabs

I like those little pulse-jets.  That bowl takes the place of the float and valve assembly that seems to account for a lot of the small engine problems.  Likewise the carburetor is simpler with the pulse pump diaphragm and associated piston and spring being the bulk of the workings.  Replacement diaphragms can be had from Foley Belsaw for a few cents.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!