iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pico chain

Started by grampt1, February 19, 2002, 07:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampt1

Has anyone had any experience with the pico ripping chain in a portable saw mill, does it have a smaller kerf than granberg or oregon ripping chain? The only place I have seen this chain is in the logosol advertisment, is this the only place it is aviable?

Thanks

Ron

psychotic1

Hello Ron, and welcome

I haven't had any real experience with the pico chain, but I have studied the logosol mill brochures and video intensely.  Basicly the pico ripping chain is the same sort of stuff as the low profile chains you find from other manufaturers.  It takes about a .25 inch kerf compared to the 3/8 of "normal" chain.  You should be able to get the pico chain at your local stihl dealer.  I've heard on the net though that some of them don't know what your talking about.  Oregon makes a low-profile chain.

Bruce

Ps. Anything I forget Kevin?
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Tom

Kevin ! !..............Ke-e-v-i-i--i-n--N  

Where'd you go Kevin?............Anybody seen Kevin?

DanG

Last I heared, he wuz up in Canuckadadia, somewhere. Probbly out chainsawing a whack of lumber by the light of the moon.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

To the best of my knowledge Stihl picco chain was designed for small lightweight saws.
I wouldn`t consider it for milling chain.
The new craze with milling chains is to go small and use a narrow kerf.
Been there, done that, don`t care for it and won`t recommend it.

psychotic1

The saw that comes with the logosol mill is a stihl 066 set up with a 16" bar and two picco chains.  They claim they worked with stihl (another swede company) to set this up.  What don't you like.  Not strong enough?  Does this also include the low profile chains?  enquirring minds want to know...

Bruce

Kevin

Bruce, low pro chains are lighter which make them weaker and prone to stretch for use in  milling.
I think once you find something that works well for you, you`ll stick with it.
I know some people like the low pro chains and if they`re happy with it they`ll probably continue to use it.
Low pro chains were designed for Arborists and I think they are well suited for that purpose.

psychotic1

I have seen that same comment on a couple of other websites, but thought if the manufacturer said it was ok...
Maybe I'll use it on the 16" bar for little stuff, but not on anything bigger.

Thanks Kevin

Bruce

CharlieJ

I haven't used Picco chain but I have used low profile from baileys and Oregon. I also use 3/8 Oregon 72R. 91vs low
profile from Oregon makes the best ripping chain. it does
stretch but just keep adjusting untill it quits. I have never broke one
even when I sawed thu 3 20p nails.

Charlie

Kevin

Charlie,
I`m putting together a team of doctors who will help wean my fellow millers off that garden chain you`re now using and get you started in a rehab program in order to get you using RA on your milling saws.
Recent testing is showing some real positive results!

CharlieJ

Well Doc,

Yes I do use that narrow stuff
No I am not sick
I do use RA sometimes but its SLOW
Yeah Doc I did drive A GTO in my youth
I know but its so much faster and saves wood, NARR kerf you know............
 :D

VVVVVVVVVVVVRoooooooom

Kevin

Charlie, that garden chain is ok for holding up your pants but it`ll shake your teeth loose over time and then you won`t be able to chew the rag anymore!
I want you to try the patch, it`s one link of RA and all you do is tape it to your arm and within a month or so you won`t even want to look at that bathtub stopper chain you`re using now.

CharlieJ

Sorry Kev,

91vs runs as smooth as RA   8) 8) 8)

grampt1

TEXT
Charlie
  How do you think the 91VS would work with my Stihl 046 with 105 drive links?

CharlieJ

Grampt

I use a 24" bar with 84 drive links so I don't know for sure but
if I needed a longer bar i would try it. It may need to be adjusted
a lot at first but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

grampt1

Thanks Charlie for the information!
  I can't make up my mind as to try the low profile chain or not, I guess I am just chicken,with a 32" bar that's a lot of chain flying around if it did break, but it sure would be nice to speed up the milling process.

Ron

CharlieJ

Grampt,

Get one and use it the first time after you have slabbed a big log
and have a nice clean cant to bury all that chain in. 91 will run on a regular 3/8 bar. Or get a shorter bar setup to use in smaller logs.That alone will speed you up.

grampt1

CharlieJ
  Do you file the 91 the same as 72R?
  Thanks
Ron

CharlieJ

Ron,

Yes 10 degrees across the top plate. Because the cutters are
short I only take a little off each time untill the entire cutter is 10 degrees this takes 4 or 5 filings. this doesn't seem to affect the cutting speed or smoothness much. File the rakers to .30 or .35

Charlie

grampt1

CharlieJ

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Ron

CharlieJ

Ron,

Let me know if you try one and how well it works on a 36 bar.
I need to get a larger mill. I tackled a 30" log the other day with my 24. Talk about tedious.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

With my Stihl 090, I think that I am "stuck" with using .404 pitch, 063" gauge chain.  Of course, the bar is 41", so I suppose the strength of this huge-kerf chain is an asset.
I do wish for smaller teeth at times, but, when cutting a 30" sappy pine, I think the large teeth might be necessary, just to carry out all that saw dust.   When I was cutting a 28" Red Oak two weeks ago, it seemed that the chips were packing the chain and bogging down the engine more so, than was the actual strain of the cutting action.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Kevin

Oregon lists a 3/8, .063 in a 36" bar for the 090.

Here`s a little something extra...

QuoteFosters Sales can deliver custom saw bar to your design - from 8" up to 96" and for all
pitches including 1/4", .325", 3/8", 3/8"LP, .325", .404" and 3/4".

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,

Funny you should bring that up.  Im talking at the moment with a GB rep regarding a 87" double ender...... Around 4 hundy US, which equals almost 500,000 NZ sheckels!  Have had a few occasions where the extra length would have been handy, for that "mother of all table tops".
Also, got a box of 27RA to try, (on your recommendation..... lol) should be fun.

Phil L - with the chips packing your chain, are you using full skip chain?
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Charlie, is that 27RA full skip, 15o top plate in .404?

Thank You Sponsors!