iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar problems

Started by sawyerkirk, April 07, 2003, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

what causes a saw to curve as it goes down through a log? I thought it was curved by a burr on the bar edge, but I cleaned the edge of the bar an it still happens. I get about 4" down into the log and it takes a drastic right turn. Any thoughts?

cut2size

Sometimes the teeth of the chain are duller or shorter in length on one side, this will cause a curve cut.  Also one side of the bar is worn more than the other and this will cause a cut to curve.  The best way to tell if it is the bar is to stand the bar on a flat surface and check it for perpindicular with a good machinest square (checking both sides).  I have jointed a bar on a grinder much the same way as wood on a jointer.
HTH,
David
cut2size

Kevin

If you dress the bar, get all the cutters the same length then put the same chain back on it will likely wear the bar again.
The chain is probably worn on the bottom of the links.

Captain

I agree with Kevin - chances are your drive links are worn -OR-your bar groove is too wide.  

Evening the bar edges is important, but equally important is checking the width of the groove.  The best way is with a couple of new chain drive links in absence of the correct size feeler guage.  I bought a "bar rail closer" years back from my cousin in the business.  It works great for a small width adjustment.  I have seen the same types at Bailey's and Madsen's.

I also cut circles (or try) if I forget to sharpen both sides of the chain  ::).

Captain

sawyerkirk

well, I spent about an hour working n the chain, getting every tooth just right and it helped considerably, but still turns a bit. I'm about due for a new chain, and will have my dealer check out the bar and replace if needed.  THANKS

Kevin

It's a good idea to turn the bar over on a regular basis so the wear is even top and bottom.

Thank You Sponsors!