iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro 5020 av and Stihl MS 271 head to head

Started by SasquatchMan, September 23, 2012, 11:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SasquatchMan

All you real logger types can just skip this, because you wouldn't buy either saw.   

For the rest of us, rancher/homeowner/hunter/contractor types, these are reasonable purchases. 

I think a lot of Poulan Pro (and apparently Crafstman are identical) saws are pretty crappy little things that are basically a headache to own.  Reviews and stories everywhere show all kinds of running and adjustment (particularly chain tension) issues. 

The PP 5020 av does not have tool-less adjustment, it's the old fashioned screwdriver and double bolt assembly.  The clutch housing is metal, astonishingly.  When I pulled the saw out of the case it is sold in, I thought "Huh, this thing actually feels like a chainsaw."  20" bar from the factory.   

This saw is a pretty good deal, out of the box for around 200 bucks.   It starts and runs if you follow the directions.   Cutting power is enough to get jobs done.   The low kickback chisel chain is a good option, right between an outright safety chain and an outright full chisel.  Cuts okay, but obviously is easier to control than a full chisel.   I tried to get some kickbacks out of it, cutting up a bunch of triple 2x10 beams, and it didn't do anything I couldn't easily control.   

My only serious complaint about the pp5020 is that if the saw is running, the oiler is oiling.   And oil it does.   My god.   Left the saw on a deck I was demolishing, and it hopped and popped and left a slug-trail all over the place.   Quite funny.    But the oiler works like hell.  Throws lots of lube on the bar.   This is good for me - I bought the saw for dirty demolition jobs and the extra lube won't hurt a bit. 

I'd say good value.   For me, if I get a year out of the saw cutting up decks and chopping through walls and roofs, that's a good deal. 

I bought a Stihl MS271 at the same time for cutting firewood only.  This saw comes with a Stihl RS chain on it, and the cutting is just effortless.   This saw cost about double the Poulan, about 500 bucks.  What do you get?   More power for sure, and the saw is happy at 13,000 rpms or wherever it runs at, just smooth as silk.   Think the Poulan is running about 9,000.    Again, following the directions, the saw starts easy and runs again with one pull all day.  I had one tough start after a re-fuel, and I think I had the switch in the wrong location. 

This saw runs beautifully, accelerates fast, and just feel like it wants to cut wood all day.   The oiler is anemic like all the new Stihls - it's putting out lube but not even half of what the Poulan is spewing.  Another major difference is the exhaust - Stihl claims far less emissions on the 271 and I have to agree - no cloud of white smoke, no greasy smell.   Running the same gas, the Poulan leaves a trail of smoke and the Stihl puts out hot air.   It's kind of neat.   Now, this is likely a tuning thing too - I am using factory settings on both saws, and I think the Poulan is set rich so that dummies like me don't kill it on the first day.    :D

The MS271 uses far less gas than my 290 did.   The 290 had similar power, a touch more power, but used gas in shocking quantities to get it.   I could use 5L of gas to fill two pickup trucks with wood.  The 271 cut up a truckload on a tank and a half of gas.   It seems like it's using about half the fuel that the 290 did.   That might be exaggeration, but it's obviously using less. 

I would buy both saws again at their relative price points.    If you are looking to own a chainsaw and want to use it a few times a year, or run a real danger of using the saw in ways it probably isn't going to be too happy about, go get the 2050av.   It's a good deal.   It costs so little that you can't really go wrong.  In my case, I bought the saw, fired it up, chopped up a huge deck all afternoon, wrecked the chain on a few nails, and thought "Well, that thing paid for itself."   That demo was done in 4 hours, and it's because the saw ran for me.   So, go buy a chain, bill it to the job, and that's how my life works.   If I drop it off a roof or run it over, it's no big deal. 

If you cut a lot of firewood and want a nice fast cutting saw, the Stihl is literally twice the saw that the Poulan is.  And you pay twice the amount.    My dealer can service it, whereas the Poulan.... well, let's just say that for 229, if the saw has an issue.... I'll just replace it.   

There's better saws than the Poulan and better deals than the Stihl, I guess.  But I'm completely happy with the performance of both at the price point. 

Senior Member?  That's funny.

thecfarm

and that's all that matters. There is a thread on being a jerk. If I brought both,my FIL would run around and ask 50 people at a Bluegrass festival and ask about a Poulan and a Sthil,not give any details on WHY I brought them and than come back and tell me everyone thought I was stupid to buy a cheap saw. But he ask people who has hardly cut a tree in thier whole life or only use one 40 hours a year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Great reviews Sasquatchman! Are you sure you're not a
Professional writer? That was a well composed post!  I think that all saws have their place. Kind of like the saw issue-I am an aircraft mechanic for my day job, and I always joke about how good craftsman hand tools are...... For cutting up and modifying to make custom specialty tools from.  :D not saying a
Guy has to buy snap-on, but there is a difference depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  I own a wild thing as well as the pro saws in my inentory, for much the same reasons, I don't like trashing one of my nice saws when the Poulan can be just as effective and if I ruin it I can pick up another used one for prolly 20 bucks.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SasquatchMan

CTYank

I've had a PP520AV for about 6 mos now, or about 8-10 tanks of mix, and I'm wondering about your smoke/efficiency comments. My experience differs, a lot.

I've never seen smoke from it, and can can cut up a heaping pickup-load on a pint tankful. Seems to me your carb is badly mis-adjusted, or something else is amiss. The carb-adjustment tool is available cheap online. Some folks use stiff plastic tubing, specifics unknown to me. Get it right and you might question $500 for the 271.

Note that the air-filter doesn't seal well on the side opposite the clip; silicone helps.

Not meant as a neener: got mine for $180 from Northern.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

SasquatchMan

I did order the carb tool.   I don't think it's way out, but I'm sure it could use some tweaking once it's run in fully.   

The saw is way more efficient on fuel than my old 290, no question, and less efficient than the 271, so for a 50cc saw, I'd say it's working about where I'd expect a 200 buck 50cc saw to work. 

That clip on the air filter seems dodgy for sure.... will look at the opposite side and maybe seal it up better - that's a good idea. 

Cut4fun

I noticed he said the poulan was turning 9000 rpm and 270 13000 rpm. That to me is a clue the poulan  is set way to rich from the factory.   

Heck I adjust carbs on new stuff all the time.  Cant believe how far off some are.

ladylake

i think we have a little mix up between in the cut rpm and max rpm, they would both be about 9000 rpm in the cut.   Also no way the Stihl cuts much faster than the Poulan, both are not the best pro models.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SasquatchMan

No mix up. 

This is not intended as a "how can I make a Poulan run like a Husky 372xp?" thread.   

This is "I just got two saws, both are 50 cc, and from the dealer/factory here's what they come with and here's how they behave."   The Stihl revs higher and cuts faster.  Partly due to the discrepancy in chains as well. 

I do think that the comment about tuning the Poulan and maybe wondering if the Stihl is that much/any better is pretty accurate.   Had the same thought myself today - I'd have been just about as happy with 2 Poulans.   It has exceeded my expectations and seems like a perfectly decent little saw.   It needs a bit of adjusting, but I think once that's done and once it's broken in a bit more, I'll be real pleased with it.   

ladylake

If that 5020 is really turning 9000 rpm no load it needs tuning.  There are good reports on other sites about the 5020.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SasquatchMan

Certainly true.  Pretty high altitude here, and I suspect that these all get the same pre-sets at the factory, so I'm thinking it's running pretty rich.   

Till that splined tool shows up, all I can do is keep running it.       ;D

Chopping up another deck today. 

Thank You Sponsors!