iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickup tires

Started by Dwood01, July 21, 2020, 05:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 23, 2020, 06:45:21 AM

HA! I guess this one should be added to the FF Dictionary, I thought it was already there. A crummy is the truck that is relegated to getting crew and/or tools and parts into and out of the logging site, either coming out from town, or the trail head. Usually this was the 'crummiest' truck in the fleet because it often does not even leave the woods and you could 'get away' with a lot in the way of road worthiness. ;D
My crummy is just my Mule, it's all I have, but I am a one man show working in a small area, so it works for me.
A crummy is just another name for a loggers pickup they are always the most beat up looking rig to be called a crummy either.
Then there's crew bus which can be a crew cab crummy or an actual bus depending on the job.

sawguy21

:D Must be a west coast thing, we'll get those eastern boys edurmacated yet. I ran Michelins once in winter, never again. They wore like iron but were useless in mud and snow. The best snow tires have a soft compound for better traction but don't last long so it's a tradeoff.
:D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Satamax

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 23, 2020, 06:11:10 AM
The county uses limestone rock on the county roads around here and that chews any tires up
Try to get yourself a set of nokian rockproof. I have heard the Aussies swear by it! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

snowstorm

the highest mileage i ever got. were  235-16 bandag recaps. put them on the rear and didnt take them off until worn out 100,000 miles later

sawguy21

That surprises me, caps are generally quite soft and while offering good mud and snow traction don't last very long. I frequently see 'alligators' laying on the highway from the large trucks, they are not allowed to use them on the steering axle for that reason.

DDW_OR

FYI
i had a two flats, at different times on the same left front tire.
First was a radio tire on a freeway driving 75. was in the center dirt before i knew it

the second was a bias tire on a different freeway. was driving 75, then thought "I think i got a flat". moved the steering wheel left and right, decided i had a flat. pulled over, checked and found the center of the tire was shredded but the side walls looked like new.
"let the machines do the work"

Ed_K

I have the cooper mud and snow's they lasted longer than the truck >:( :(. Just bought a dodge ram 2010 I sent for the title so I can get a compliance sticker an safety sticker on june 16 I still haven't got it back from the registry >:( they say their behind because of the virus :o.
Ed K

snowstorm

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 24, 2020, 10:54:32 AM
That surprises me, caps are generally quite soft and while offering good mud and snow traction don't last very long. I frequently see 'alligators' laying on the highway from the large trucks, they are not allowed to use them on the steering axle for that reason.
the old hot caps were soft a cold cap is not and lasts a long time. a good big truck tire would be able to be capped 2 or 3 times. after the casing is 10 yrs old it cant be capped. most of the alligators you see have pulled the steel belts 

dgdrls

Very good experience with Toyo's.    Nokians in the winter.

D

gspren

How old will you allow a truck tire that's going to be driven on the highway at 70 mph? I have a 2014 FJ Cruiser with original 265x75 16 E truck tires about 60,000 miles but because of the Cruisers light weight they still have at least 70% tread.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

I would replace them after 6-7 years regardless of tread, the rubber compound deteriorates with age. We had a blowout at 60 mph on our fifth wheel then two days later the spare grenaded and I had to buy new tires. No serious damage but scared the daylights out of us and lightened the wallet considerably.

Walnut Beast

That's the 50k mile tire. There are 3 levels of the geolander.

Magicman

I have been very well pleased with the Toyo Open Country AT's.  There is the RT if you need more traction, and the MT for maximum traction.

If I was in the tire market right now it would be the new AT III.

Most all of the Loggers, Foresters, and Farmers here run Toyo's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

There is a trade off on the more aggressive tires. They just don't last on the crushed limestone rock county roads. 

Magicman

Good point so it is a matter of location, location, location.  Here I'm either on pavement or bare dirt/mud.  There are very few rock/gravel roads that I normally travel on.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

I estimate the rubber condition with regards to replacement, and not any particular time frame. I imagine there's a huge amount of variability depending on where/how they were kept. With a bunch of cracking, I'd be leery of driving it high speed/high temp. Slower and colder? Maybe. Depends on what I'm seeing.

enigmaT120

I've never seen limestone gravel, is it really worse on tires than basalt?  It's not as hard, does it  break sharper or something?  I killed a set of BFG AT's on my '58 Chevy Napco in maybe 30,000 miles, almost all local logging roads with basalt gravel.  They chunked out.  
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Bruno of NH

If you get on a road around my parts that has crushed ledge 1" you going to get a punctured tire no matter what brand.
Some towns at now using a compacting roller after grading in the spring and the fall.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moodnacreek

Been using Michelin xps rib on pick up and trailer for years. They are not cheap.

charles mann

On my 06, bought new, i tok factory off and put bfg all terrains and got about 12,000 miles, went to cooper discover stt, about 15,000. When i lifted it, i put 37x12.5x20 toyo m/ts and got nearly 60k, with 80% highway. Bought another set and 50k, 80% highway. 
On my 12, 16 and 18 rams, all had toyo at2s but my last set, started on my 16 and swapped to my 18 dually, with about 8,000 on them, i got an additional 20k. Im looking for something else too and may try the at3s from toyo. If those are garbage, ill give the m/ts 1 more shot before hanging my hat up with toyo. 
I do 70% highway running, 25% dirt/rock road running and 5%, ground that 4x4 is required. Of those %s, 80% is 2wd only and 50% no trailer pulling. 

I was told when i bought my last at2s, toyo changed the rubber comp and they wear sooner. So buying shoes every 2 yrs @ $1500 a pop is a no go. I need something that'll last more than 30k miles, yet offer better than 40% mud/slick ground reliability. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Stephen1

Just put on a set og Michelin LTX rated for 75,000k . I have them before and they are nice all round tire. Good in the snow and rain, and quiet on the highway. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!