iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum

Started by RShober, February 11, 2019, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RShober

First run on my new mill...1,000bf mix of walnut, cherry, and maple. Love this forum!
Robert

Robert

Florida boy

Welcome glad to have ya, take your coat off and stay a while!
What kinda mill you running ?

RShober

I purchased a WM LT28 with the 19hp Kohler, power feed and the manual deck package.
Robert
Robert

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Rshorer
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, RShober!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dad2FourWI

Welcome!

That looks nice! - I wish I had some of those species!  ;D

Now take a pic of your mill and post it for us to see!

This forum is so willing to help and has great experience... grab a coffee and start reading.. :D
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Wallys World

Welcome to the forum! Lots of info around here!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

RShober

That's my dad supervising the inaugural log. I've since added an hour meter, and I'm currently working on a conventional type trailer jack for the front.

Robert
Robert

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
Whatcha going to use the lumber for?
You will need a Logrite cantdog/peavey to turn the logs. Sponsor on the left,made here in the USA. by nice people. Website tells the difference of a cantdog and peavey.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Welcome to the coolest hangout around.  Pull a stool up!

I see your future... a better way of stacking and stickering your wood.  I started like you and finally learned how to organize my wood a bit better.  It also depends how much wood you'll be milling.  Is it going to just be a hobby for yourself, or are you wanting to sell wood?  

Other things to quickly learn if you haven't already...using anchorseal, making stickers ahead of time, and maybe making lumber pallets.  I stack all my wood in my pole barn on lumber pallets that I made.  I have enough air flow in that building that I'm not getting mold on my Ash, Walnut, and cherry.  I've also milled a little honey locust and oak and Osage.
Newbie mistake. I leaned the hard way. Palletizing. in Sawmills and Milling

The flatter your stack is, the flatter your lumber will be.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RShober

I do a lot of furniture and cabinet making. My main hobby though is making bird houses. I've drawn up plans for a mill and drying shed and have started collecting building materials, but it's been so darn wet for the past 6 months, I haven't really gotten started. Hoping to visit Wally's World soon and see his solar kiln. We struck up a conversation last weekend...he's about an hour away.
Robert
Robert

caveman

Welcome.  The lt-28 is a good mill and will keep you supplied with bird house material.  There is a lot of information to learn here and a good group of folks to associate with.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

Welcome to the FF. You look to be about 3 hours away so if you are ever passing through this way stop by and see us.

Ditto Brad's comments about stacking pallets. Building them and putting/attaching your first level of stickers helps you start right and keep the stickers properly aligned. BTW - I see on your lumber you have lumber out past the stickers. I have read here that placing your first sticker very near the end of the boards helps keep the boards from checking/splitting. Apparently the board will split till it reaches the sticker then stop so that helps protect your lumber. Also keep the stacks straight and up off the ground on pallets, concrete blocks or crossties or such. If your stack has a hump or dip I hear every board will dry with the same hump or dip in it. I keep all my stickers on centers of 2' or less. Many of our member recommend 16-18 centers and always aligned, which yours seem to be. I like the Anchorseal Bard mentions. Some species are much worse about checking than others. I find wild cherry and ash to be among the worst I saw. Softwoods don't seem to check as badly. Keep on posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OffGrid973

Welcome aboard, wonderful piece of machinery you have there.

Stacks look great and I was curious about the painted ends on the stickers, was that on purpose or used to tell what type of species.  Has me thinking next time I have to mix and match stacks.

Make sure we get pics of the build start to finish, those get lots of followers and plenty of suggestions to help along the way.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

RShober

Thanks so much for the advice on stickering...really like the pallet idea. I sourced a company out of New York for the painted end stickers. Pretty sure they're made from mahogany. Spent a few hours milling some poplar for my nephew. It's great practice for when those paying jobs come in. Following a post by Magicman, I think my first 6x6 post came out pretty good.

Robert

Brad_bb

Looks like you've got a good start.  Now, if you're going to mill at home,  you're going to have to decide how you're going to dispose of your slab wood, and your bark and sawdust.  I came across some bucking horses that I put the slabs on and cut them to firewood length.  My tail gunner takes it all for his wood stove.

Dust and bark will pile up faster than you can believe.  Dumping it on my property wasn't working out well when I first stared.  It takes up a lot of space quickly, and I didn't want to wait the time it would take to decompose.  So I made some Vortex burn barrels.  Two will keep up with us milling and usually they will burn into the night from when we loaded them during the afternoon.  The heat from the initial coals will dry out the dust and then allow it to burn.  That's why I like to burn bark first if I can.  I use a little splash of diesel and a mapp torch to start the barrels and they go pretty quick.
Click link below
Burning as we go in Sawmills and Milling
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RShober

I have a cabinet maker about 2 miles away that'll take all the flitches I have. I've got a large compost pit going, so the sawdust will definitely help out. Now to find a pallet maker...sincerely appreciate the input from all!
Robert

Thank You Sponsors!