iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak seedlings transplant

Started by ant888nsmb2, June 30, 2018, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant888nsmb2

Hey all, I recently found 3 white oak seedlings. I transplanted them yesterday, and when I dug them out to replant them, 2 of the 3 seedlings tap root broke a little. Does this kill the tree eventually? The seedlings are about 2 to 3 inches tall. They're still doing good today, hopefully they continue to.

Thanks.

Klunker

They should be fine.
Give them a place with lots of sun in good soil. Keep them watered for a month or so and in a hundred years or so you'll have a place to hang a nice swing ;D

ant888nsmb2

Thanks for your answer. So giving the seedlings sun won't harm them? I read somewhere that it will harm them if there's sun?

ant888nsmb2

Update: the largest one's leaves are curling up a little. The 2 small ones are still fine. It's 99 degrees here so I wonder if the tree has heat stress.

Ron Scott

It's not the best time to transplant trees during this hot weather. The leaves will wilt some during the reestablishment period. Best to wait until the fall season. Keep them watered good.
~Ron

ant888nsmb2

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 01, 2018, 05:01:40 PM
It's not the best time to transplant trees during this hot weather. The leaves will wilt some during the reestablishment period. Best to wait until the fall season. Keep them watered good.
can the leaves grow back eventually after they wilt or fall off?

Ron Scott

They will grow back as a sign that the tree has survived the shock of the transplant. Probably until the next growing season.
~Ron

ant888nsmb2

Oh. Nice. Thanks for your answers. IIRC I had a burr oak tree that dropped it's leaves in late July, and grew the leaves back in Mid August.

Ron Scott

Yes, they can respond quickly under good conditions. Keep them watered.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!