iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening Bands near St.Louis

Started by DDobbs, June 19, 2015, 03:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDobbs

Anyone know of anyone around STL that sharpens bands?  I live NE of STL about 30 miles.

Thanks
Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

gww

I am southwest about 70/80 miles and it would interest me also.
gww

Ozarkoak

Twin City Sharpening (Craig)
1837 Gamel Cemetery Rd, Festus, MO 63028
(636) 933-6000

gww

DDobbs

Thanks   Still looking that's about 80 miles one way for me.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

gww

D
I guess it is centerally located, cause map quest says it is 80 miles from me.  I had looked that one up with a search on the internet.  I didn't find anyone else though.
gww

Ozarkoak

I am 100 miles+ away. I take a few at a time and then plan a family trip near or around the area someday down the line.  I found no one closer to me with internet searches.  There are plenty of sawers out in the hills but those are not the guys on the internet!  Ask your local tree service contractors if they know of someone.  Their chainsaw "guy" might be the same guy that does bandsaw blades.

thecfarm

I went to a hardware store asked about that. I found a real nice guy to do mine. Than there is a drop of service at another hardware store.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

I'm very new at this... So this may or may not work for you...
I just built my mill and I got some blades from the junkyard.
My first cut I got blade rise.
So with no lost for me I got out my dremel with a 5/16" stone.
I never took the blade off the saw. I just sat down and went to work.
It only took me around 5 min to touch up every tooth.
The blade cut great.
Now I'm on my second blade and I also needed to sharpen it the same way.
I'm very happy with my results.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

I have been extending my cutting with one blade by taking an angle grinder to the back of the point.  I also do this while on the mill.  It helps and the last blade I just cut untill the blade broke.  My intention is to do the same on the blade I am using now.  If I ever find someone to sharpen and set, depending on cost I may handle this differrently.  I do have some sharp blades with bad set and may someday work on making something to help with that but I still have two blades to break first.
gww

Kbeitz

Quote from: gww on June 25, 2015, 11:01:34 AM
I have been extending my cutting with one blade by taking an angle grinder to the back of the point.  I also do this while on the mill.  It helps and the last blade I just cut untill the blade broke.  My intention is to do the same on the blade I am using now.  If I ever find someone to sharpen and set, depending on cost I may handle this differrently.  I do have some sharp blades with bad set and may someday work on making something to help with that but I still have two blades to break first.
gww

I use an adajustable wrench to put set in my radail arm saw blades and that also works great.
A blade with good set and dull teeth cuts better that one with sharp teeth and no set.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 25, 2015, 08:58:19 AM

When I'm done with my blades,I don't even think the junkyard would want them.  ;D Either they are in one long piece or I hit metal with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billikenfan

Craig at Twin City does mine also.  Great guy and he does a great job.  I'm lucky he's 10 miles from me. He sharpens almost everything.

Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

Kbeitz

Quote from: thecfarm on June 25, 2015, 09:18:52 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on June 25, 2015, 08:58:19 AM

When I'm done with my blades,I don't even think the junkyard would want them.  ;D Either they are in one long piece or I hit metal with it.

A broken blade would not stop me...
I silver solder broken blades.
I woulg not let metal damaged blades stop me from trying to resharpen them.
I think the hardest part would be putting the set back in and getting it right.
But I would try... Live and learn.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

When bands break the entire band has metal fatigue and usually just break somewhere else.  It is a temporary patch but never a fix.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

The filing of the back of the point is also really temperary and I would not suggest anyone who wants to get the most out of their blade to do it.  Since I am on such a small scale and intent to purchase more new blades till I find a better way close to me, I don't mind knowing I am cutting till failure.  I figure things out kind of slowly but hope to have a better system someday.  It has helped for now.
gww

Kbeitz

Quote from: gww on June 27, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
The filing of the back of the point is also really temperary and I would not suggest anyone who wants to get the most out of their blade to do it.  Since I am on such a small scale and intent to purchase more new blades till I find a better way close to me, I don't mind knowing I am cutting till failure.  I figure things out kind of slowly but hope to have a better system someday.  It has helped for now.
gww
I dont file the back.
I use a dremal stone  in the gullet.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!