iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on February 22, 2020, 08:46:04 PM
I think it was last Sunday I said something like, "I never make mistakes when nobody is looking."  Well I admit I was wrong..... >:( :D
If that is the worst mistake you make all year, you're going to have a great year.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Kwill

Finished sawing the siding and got my doors on the south side of my sawmill shed. No more blue tarps and south winds bothering.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

RichTired

Kwill, That's a nice looking shed.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Magicman

You gonna gutter the sides, front to back?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I needed some top plates and more rafters on my shed so I went up in the woodline where my last poplar log was staged (I had pulled it there till it got hung and I had cut a couple of shorter logs off already lightening the weight.) It was 21'8" I thought about cutting it in half then decided to go for broke and just saw it 21'. It was about 15" SED and pretty straight. I sawed 3 full length 2X12's, stopped and cut one of them into a 9'+ and a 10'+ to tie my shed together and staged one on top of the framing for an interim top plate on the wide end (it is trapezoid shape 22' on one end and 12' on the other to fit my lot). I went back just before dark to edge the rest and broke my band and quit for the day and will finish edging a couple more flitches tomorrow.  

One lesson I have learned is sawing full mill length/21' lumber is very meticulous. Both ends of the log have to be bucked perfectly square and every time you rotate the cant or go to edge a flitch you have to go stop and make sure both ends are between the factory marks (Pieces of black tape) or your blade won't enter or exit the cut. Also I have to raise the head higher when loading the log or rotating the cant or placing flitches for edging. I also have to raise the head higher at the rear to push the flitches on the loading arms to stage them for edging or the flitch will hit my blade guide adjustment arm.

Full length - the hydraulic loading arms, turner and clamp never even groaned loading and turning it.

Three very pretty 21' 2X12's. More than John can likely handle so I made 2 trips for them I'll finish edging the rest tomorrow as my light ran out today before I finished.

EDIT: I finished edging my 21' flitches this morning. I got 5 2X6s but 2 taper out to 19 & 17 ft respectively and one nice 21' 2X4. While I had them on the forks I went ahead and put the 2X6's on the roof of the shed where they will be used. 239 bf out of that log.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on February 23, 2020, 05:14:05 PM
You gonna gutter the sides, front to back?
The back will have gutters
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

richhiway

You guys are killing it on the sheds. I will get mine started when the ground thaws out.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

ejb17

Milled up about 300 bd ft of Red Elm yesterday. It was a beautiful February day and all the lumber is going to my sons school for his 8th grade class to build a large picnic table as a gift to the school.

USA - Believe in it, or Be Leaving it!
2005 LT40G28

Jim_Rogers

After taking some time off to let my neck/shoulder/arm straighten out with help of my chiropractor I've started cutting some red oak for planks.
Two weeks ago, I cut one white pine, and had to cut that 6x6 off into two pieces. Just about killed my shoulder with pain starting the chain saw.
Last week I added this to my tool box:

Today, I gave it a real test, I had to cut off the end of this 15" red oak log so I gave it a try.

It has plenty of power and only used one bar on the power scale on the battery:

I think I'm going to like this saw.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

donbj

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 24, 2020, 04:39:03 PMIt has plenty of power and only used one bar on the power scale on the battery:

That's pretty good. What's the mah rating on the battery?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: donbj on February 24, 2020, 07:14:13 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 24, 2020, 04:39:03 PMIt has plenty of power and only used one bar on the power scale on the battery:

That's pretty good. What's the mah rating on the battery?
Sorry, but I don't know what "mah" stands for.
Jim Rogers

doc henderson

mili amp hours or the storage capacity of the batt.  or amp hours.  could take a pic of the data info on the batt.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

It probably has a 4ah or 5ah on the side from the size of it.  Milwaukee makes some 6ah ones as well, I think.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

When you buy this tool, the saw comes without a battery or charger. You have to get them separately. So, you have a choice of what size battery you want. The clerk at the tool crib at Home Depot told me my options. I went for the highest capacity battery I could get.
Here is the label:

So what does that tell you?

Jim Rogers

boonesyard

You'll use it a lot. Great saw, we use ours all the time around the mill and yard. I had a 12 AH battery for one of my other tools and it works very well in the saw, good stuff.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 25, 2020, 10:13:04 AMSo what does that tell you?
A couple things.  First, that's a lot of battery!  My DeWalt's I have are 5's and they now have some 6's.  Second, you used up a 1/4 of the capacity on that log (2ah +/-), that's a bit of juice. 

From that other thread, you won't be going to the woods with that but around the mill, a great thing to have!  Assuming you have a "fast" charger similar to my DeWalt, charging that battery from empty probably takes 45 minutes to an hour.  Not too bad for the convenience.  My fishing buddy got a DeWalt chainsaw that I got to play with.  It works pretty well, too.  Since I'm on that platform already, I'll probably get one for myself.

That is just a single battery saw, correct?  So a 20v platform.  DeWalt also has their 60v platform that uses one special 60v battery that can be used in the 20v platform with triple the ah capacity (a 60v 4ah = 20v 12ah)
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

boonesyard

Take a look on youtube, there's a bunch of video on the battery chainsaws now. I know the Stihl battery saw is a good one too, they really like it. I've got a bunch of batteries for our Milwaukee tools (4's, 5's, 9's and a 12 AH) so that saw was the natural go to for us. I was very skeptical when we first got it, but it's been a real performer. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

jeepcj779

It shows 18V on the battery. Will 20V batteries work on a saw like that?

donbj

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 25, 2020, 10:13:04 AM
When you buy this tool, the saw comes without a battery or charger. You have to get them separately. So, you have a choice of what size battery you want. The clerk at the tool crib at Home Depot told me my options. I went for the highest capacity battery I could get.
Here is the label:

So what does that tell you?

Jim Rogers
Thanks for the info. That's a good battery and the saw will be handy around the mill. Good idea to have a spare bat so when it dies out when you need it you won't have to stop and wait on the charger.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

so to round this out, your 8 amp hour battery will last longer than a 4 amp hour.  remember that volts x amps = watts.  so on the batt. you have a 8 amp/hour battery at 18 volts so 8 x 18 = 144 watt hr.  so in theory something that pulls 8 amps or 144 watts, at 18 volts should last 1 hour.  dewalt makes a conversion so the 20 volt batts can fit the old 18 volt tools.  I like the old batteries and they are still available but being phased out.  they are cheaper online such as amazon.  I have the old 18 v dewalt, but I got my wife stuff for in the house and it is a 20 v kit.  I think each brand would have to be checked for the application.  it is not amps per hour, but amp hour =Ah.  1 amp = 1,000 mili amps so you batt is also 8,000 mili amp hours.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: doc henderson on February 25, 2020, 02:31:03 PMdewalt makes a conversion so the 20 volt batts can fit the old 18 volt tools

If you look at the fine print, the 20v batteries are 20v unloaded, 18 nominal.  It is the same battery as the 18v, just packaged different (IMO better).  The 20v is just a marketing gimmick to get you to upgrade.  A lot of the DeWalt 20v tools are coming out as brushless (not sure how that works on a DC motor) which should make them last longer and they seem to use less power to do the same job or better.  But, I digress...

Now, back to the original topic!
John Sawicky

doc henderson

they had come out with an 18V "compact lithium ion"  battery, but instead of running down they would suddenly stop.  they did not seem to last as long, and mine are all shot now.  I will make the full switch someday.   :)

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on February 25, 2020, 03:06:28 PM
they had come out with an 18V "compact lithium ion"  battery, but instead of running down they would suddenly stop.  they did not seem to last as long, and mine are all shot now.  I will make the full switch someday.   :)
Lithium batteries do NOT like to run 100% flat, quickest way to kill them. So any decent system will kill the power electronically at 10% remaining, and say "it's flat". So you have normal power, until suddenly you don't. 
Same as when there is a natural disaster, Tesla can give drivers ~10% more range via a software switch. They suggest you try your best not to use it as it's hard on the battery, but it beats being stuck on the side of the road with a hurricane bearing down on you, when another 10 miles would have got you to the fast charger. 
QuoteA lot of the DeWalt 20v tools are coming out as brushless (not sure how that works on a DC motor) 
Electronic magic. A regular DC motor has magnets in the case, and current runs through the windings of the armature, switched by the brushes as the motor rotates. 
A brushless motor spins the magnets by electronically switching the power to stationary coils. Because the current is controlled electronically it's easier to build in speed control, soft start, electric braking etc. And there are no brushes to wear out.  This sort motor has been used in computer hard disks for years, and they can sit there running 24/7 @ 10,000 rpm, for years, and it's usually the bearings that eventually give out. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Ianab on February 25, 2020, 07:07:46 PMElectronic magic.
Ahhhh,, very clever.  Makes perfect sense.  Also, one less wear item.  But they claim longer battery life.  Not sure how that works.  I think its just a "selling point".
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!