iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

Two decent white oaks and single smallish log of chestnut oak. The bigger white oak (~22" dbh) has a second stem that only affects the bottom 3 ft.  Got three decent 12' logs out of it.  Smaller white oak (16" dbh) gave 3 nice 9' logs.  

tule peak timber

Two loads of live oak inbound and cutting beetle-kill pine all day for the "Brown" job to start the new year off.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Quebecnewf

No sawing for me yet . Hope to get logging by the end of the month . Going to try and get sawing in early March . Try and get some inventory built up 2x material . We had a nice bit sawed and not sold as we shut down the mill late last fall . Of course as soon as we had everything covered and closed we sold all that and could have sold more . 

It seems that's always the way of it .

Quebecnewf 

DPatton

Quote from: Magicman on January 02, 2020, 08:01:21 AM
Quote from: DPatton on January 01, 2020, 10:44:10 PMThe third log I put on the mill was a total bust. It was a large ERC 24"+ in diameter but turned out the entire log was full of heart rot. I couldn't even get any decent lumber off the outer perimeter....

"traveling about 170 miles....... I took this picture when I did my pre-saw site visit in early November.
You made a 170 mile pre-saw site visit??  :o

This one was not full of heart rot!!  ::)
MM,
  Yes I did do a 170 mile pre-saw site visit! ;) ;D
But like I said the client is a friend of a friend. Stephanie and I just happened to be visiting those friends for a few days when the client called. The client lives just 12 miles away from our friends house, so I took a little side trip while we were there. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

OK, I can go with a 12 mile side trip.  Side trips are the only site/pre-saw visits that I make because cellphone pictures do a wonderful job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KenMac

WDH and/or Yellowhammer, can y'all explain to me what might cause the stresses in those logs? I've  never seen anything like that! Thanks in advance for your help.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WDH

In my logs, there are some very dark black lines in the heartwood.  My take is the log was bacterial infected, and the infection weakened the wood, leading to the failure of the wood fibers.  Also likely a contributing factor was natural growth stress in the log, which combined with the bacterial infection, did the job as the log began to dry out some.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

My log was an odd one because I didn't have obvious stress in the ends of the logs when I bought them.  However I did notice some odd twist in them when sawing them up.  So my thinking is that the 20 foot log has stresses induced by the twist, and when I bucked it, the log unraveled like a rope.  The cracks in the log were slightly spiral, and added to the sawing fun.

It's not unusual for wanut logs to be stressed, in fact it's one reason veneer buyers like to see a foot of trim on each log. However, this was an extreme case.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

I saw pine trees twisted off about 15' - 20' high when Hurricane Hugo came through. Would tornadoes do something like that to a standing tree that might not show up till years later when the tree was cut down? Any thoughts or experience in that area?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 02, 2020, 10:34:34 PMIt's not unusual for wanut logs to be stressed,

It is however quite usual for walnut log buyers to be stressed.....;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jcald327

My first board (ash), cut on my first mill (outside my home junky alaska mill with a lil farm boss).

1500 miles in 2 days and I'm home with a lucas 827, ordered the slabber on the way home.

60ish logs to go on the first round of the next chapter of my life.  Thank you to all on this forum for giving me the confidence to try something I truly enjoy as a business and not simply a hobby.

Happy sawing for 2020 (that's weird to type).  May all your logs be metal free.
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Husqvarna 395xp 32, 42 inch
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Lowrider cnc 4x8 capacity
Logrite mega 78 and 60

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 02, 2020, 04:38:06 PMcutting beetle-kill pine all day for the "Brown" job to start the new year off.

That's a lot of wide pine!  What's the job entail?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congratulations Jcald327 on your "new to you" Lucas.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum and to the world of sawing.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

longtime lurker

I broke it in two on the truck yesterday, just managed to lift the biggest piece enough to drive the truck out with the 4t forklift to help the LD9. Then got it to the side of the yard with the LD9 mostly on two wheels - and the old girl is good for 14000 lbs .

Job for the Lucas mill methinks... Or at least until I whittle it down some. ;D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 02, 2020, 11:17:22 PM
Robert,

I saw pine trees twisted off about 15' - 20' high when Hurricane Hugo came through. Would tornadoes do something like that to a standing tree that might not show up till years later when the tree was cut down? Any thoughts or experience in that area?
That's a possibility, but I don't know.  Maybe, because since the ends of the 20 footer looked pretty calm, it seems the mid part of the log had developed a severe twist, almost like a wringing the water out of a rag.  We get enough tornados around here it seems the twist in the log was externally induced.  This was an odd one from the start, it was unusually straight, which usually indicates a deep woods tree, but if you look at the sap ring in the picture, its pretty thick, indicating a fast growing, field tree.  I also noticed that when it was unraveling on the mill, a strip of rope bark came off, indicating that it had been lightning burned, but it would have been a pretty light hit as there wasn't an obvious lightning scar, which would have prevented me from paying good money for it.  So maybe it got lightning scorched and that caused it to twist as it grew.  So, I'm not sure exactly what happened.

Quote from: Southside on January 02, 2020, 11:17:37 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on January 02, 2020, 10:34:34 PMIt's not unusual for wanut logs to be stressed,
It is however quite usual for walnut log buyers to be stressed.....;D
Thats the truth. Paying for a load of logs that cost as much as new little compact car can be a stressing.  Especially knowing that walnut is one of the species with the highest value drop off for reduced grade lumber, and it is probably the worst species around here for high value lumber recovery.  However, the real high grade lumber sells as fast or faster than I can dry it, and recently I've been supplementing my inventory with some Missouri walnut, which as also high quality.  Here is some of my walnut I got out of the kiln and unstickered yesterday evening, getting staged and ready for planing.  Zero knots, and sawn with just a hint of sapwood so that I can have a buffer when I straight line these boards to be pure heartwood.  These will sell for $10 per bdft, after planing, as fast as I can put them on the shelf.

Here is some cherry I was edging, it pretty nice looking, no knots, premium grade.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

tule peak timber

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 03, 2020, 01:13:10 AM
Quote from: tule peak timber on January 02, 2020, 04:38:06 PMcutting beetle-kill pine all day for the "Brown" job to start the new year off.

That's a lot of wide pine!  What's the job entail?
The "brown " job is 6000+- square feet of custom wall panel for the Rise Hollywood apartment building.Custom color , texture and finish for this upscale new construction project.

Magicman

Quote from: KenMac on January 02, 2020, 07:55:47 PMWDH and/or Yellowhammer, can y'all explain to me what might cause the stresses in those logs?
Notice that mine (Reply #12) and WDH's (Reply #21) both show ring shake which would suggest bacteria related.  YellowHammer's (Reply #11) does not exhibit ring shake.  His pith is badly off center and also the sapwood is much thinner on that side, so his stress was induced as the tree grew.  It could have grown on a hillside or most likely was crowded (shaded) on the "thin side" and had more growing room on the thick side.  There were probably more limbs and roots on the thick side.  You see this quite often on what I call "edge" trees that have woods on one side and an opening on the other side.  

With this internal stress already built in, the tree could have taken a hard fall when felled and then Robert finished the stress (energy) release when he bucked the log.

tule peak timber

I have a yard full of these "treasures". I charge extra for these boards....

YellowHammer

I think MM is on target, but most edge trees show a little crook where they start following the sunny side of the edge, their canopy gets heavier on that side, they crook a little and then straighten back up.  However, this tree was very straight from bell to first fork.  The pith was off center, qnd it definately has some twist to it, also.  So maybe between all those factors, it was a doomed log.  It's also odd that even when I was sawing it, the cracks would not propagate to either end,  but would twist off to the edge about 5 feet down the log and separate off and fall to the ground.  So even as I was sawing it, energy was being released.  I wish I had taken more pictures as I was sawing it, but I was dodging the squirrels falling.  

I definately got a lesson in this log.  I'm always learning.  I just hate it when the lessons are so expensive.   
YellowHammerisms:

KenMac

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and thoughts about these logs. I'm definitely learning from you guys every day!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Anderson

I mostly just lurk and bask in the knowledge of this great forum but I was inspired to throw up a few pics as it seems everyone enjoys those...Especially me!  :)

Unfortunately nothing fancy or beautiful, just utility lumber.  2x framing lumber sawn oversize for straightening after drying and some 1by oak for siding on our newish mill shed. you can see the nailers in the back ground for the siding.
The shed is still a mess but we are figuring out materiel flow and handling as we work through a backlog of logs. Very much looking forward to having a place to efficiently produce lumber. (well..as efficiently as we can with a manual mill! :D) I guess all the more reason to not waste steps.

busenitzcww

Dropped this one today. Do I make cookies or slabs? ??? It's around 20" diameter

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

Quote from: busenitzcww on January 03, 2020, 11:06:28 PM
Dropped this one today. Do I make cookies or slabs? ??? It's around 20" diameter

we love the boxelder, it is a shame we can't keep the color.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!