iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your Sawmilling Operation Name......

Started by Percy, November 25, 2020, 10:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

After reading Magics story on how he got his sawmilling company name in his "Sawmilling duds" thread, it got me to thinking...
Mine, P.M.G. Sawmilling, is rather plain compared to Knothole sawmilling or Wildfire Wood working.....but
P.M.G. instead of being my initials, could mean

Play My Guitar
Pretty Mean Guy
Puke My Gutsout
Pinders Migrating Goats

I digress....Whats your sawmill name story?
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Mooseherder

Pine Milled Gracefully, Gleefully, giddily, 

WV Sawmiller

I try to be a pretty simple man.

Green's Sawmill Services - pretty simple and straightforward I thought. Family name is Green. My business plan was to offer whatever sawmill services I can do - mobile or stationary. I mill lumber, beams, resaw, cut cookies, square up fence posts, make mantels, and once sawed the legs off a rough homemade table to get the legs all the same height and angle for my customer's wife. In addition to that, as a sideline to salvage some of my excess and damaged trees on my property, I sell some rough lumber and make and sell some primitive crafts like benches, crates, birdhouses and little buildings for bus stops/outhouses/deer blinds, etc.

I figure it makes it fairly easy to find on-line using my name or for anyone looking for a sawmill for a special project.

I figure people should not have to guess at what business you are in when they see your business name. I assume when they see mine they recognize the basic work I do and they can check my website or call for specific details.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

donbj

Back in the day when custom sawing mine was "Straightline Custom Milling". Just a hobby these days. Contemplated selling everything a few years back but just could not do it!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Bruno of NH

Big Meadow Sawmill 
The piece of property that the sawmill is at was know as Big Meadow .
All the older 70 + locals refere to it as that.
Sounded like a good name.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

Well, Wildfire Woodworking was a name that could encompass my sawmilling and my woodworking.  Like most firefighters with a side gig, I wanted somthing that hinted at my real job.  A buddy has Backdraft Woodworking and another Off Duty Handyman.  The list goes on.  I've always enjoyed wildfire firefighting more than structural.  I did wildland out in California, Oregon and Wyoming about 20 years ago.  I gave that up when my kids were born.  Now I am on the Missouri FEMA Urban search and rescue task force as one of my other side things.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

I'm thinking of calling my operation Sand Country Enterpises, because I have a variety of things going on- the mill, firewood, and skid steer work when I have time. And I live on sand, I the highway where the pine starts🤷🏽‍♂️ I like the name, but I'm worried it doesn't explain what I do in the snippet of attention you get. Like Alger Sawmill would. Give me wisdom, friends 😁
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

I named mine because I wanted people to know the product "hardwood lumber" and who I wanted to market to i.e. "Hobbiests" or rather not commercial bulk sawing. There for awhile, I was doing some pretty heavy sawing and was filling up flatbed trailers as fast as I could, production and custom sawing.  At some point, about the time I thought I was going to get rich sawing pallet wood, and didn't, I decided that wasn't for me and wanted to change directions and exclude the commercial sawing I had been doing.  It's also a name that is easy to remember and nobody had picked yet.  It also provides a location.  So our business name is Hobby Hardwood Alabama, and even though have customers come in from all over the country to buy our wood, I still have new customers drive up and say how it must be nice to have a hobby selling wood in my spare time.   :D :D

We had a guy just this weekend ask me to plane a few boards for him, maybe 150 bdft, since he figured I had a small hobby planer on the premises somewhere, and he hoped it wouldn't take too long to plane them.  So I couldn't resist and said I would if he would stand on the backside of the planer to make sure it didn't snipe. :D  So he walked into the shop and his mouth dropped.  We planed the wood, three boards at a time, 80 ft per minute, and ran them through the straight line and another customer laughed about how a hundred thousand bucks worth of "hobby" equipment was used to clean up a few boards.  It was all in good fun but its means the name still works.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

KenMac

My company is" It Grows On Trees Woodworking". My best friend thinks it refers to all the money I expected to make, but actually it points to a joke from woodworkers about when a piece is miscut: "It's only wood- it grows on trees!" It's too long according to most folks but I like it. ;D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Cjross73

Blue Bear Woodworks in honor of the only reliable help I have 

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

dgdrls

Quote from: Cjross73 on November 25, 2020, 08:53:10 PM

Bear the Blue Heeler?

You folks make THE best pickles indeed!!  

At  Cucumber and Vine,  ;)

jeepcj779

While I wouldn't call it an "operation" just yet (I just got my LLC paperwork back from the State last week), I named the business "MoreWood Mill" because the pond we live on is Morewood Pond.

TimW

Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

hopm

The creek we live on is called Webb Creek. Not to be confused with the one it joins which is Webb's Creek. My Dad raised chickens and beagles for years so we jokingly referred to it as the Webb Creek Poultry Palace and the Webb Creek Puppy farm. So about 18 or 19 years back we started calling my mill Webb Creek Sawmill. A customer made me a sign to that effect. My son in law has also started the only legit business in the bunch with Webb Creek Lawn Care and Property Services. I guess we're just taking a few decades to develop the brand. 😁😁

Raym

This will be an interesting thread.....

I transitioned form doing side work to working for myself full time January of 14. Since I had a plan for revenue from many different sources I really didn't want a name that defined what I did such as "Jones construction". As a woodturner, I already had a DBA which was Virginia Turnings, but didn't want to use that either. I just couldn't come up with a name.

While wondering where God would take me on this new adventure, it caused me to remember the old children's fable called "the story of the three trees" and there it was....My company name is 3Trees.

The really cool thing is every time I get asked "what does 3trees mean" I get to explain the background and tell them the story of the three trees. If your not familiar with it, please take a minute and read it. Its a great read. Here is a link to one version.....

Virginia Turnings | The Three Trees
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Raym

Quote from: Raym on November 26, 2020, 05:04:23 AM
My company name is 3Trees.

Of course some days it seems like the name should be "3Tries". :D
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

terrifictimbersllc

If you tow a sawmill with a spare, it could be 3 Tires!  :D

I wanted a name that was catchy and a bit general.  
So Terrific Timbers LLC.

Had this on my first business card.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Hamsley Hardwood, LLC.

Hamsley is my name and hardwood is what I do.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

Eastern Red Cedar Products.
Wanted people to know what we did.
Easier to find on web searches too.
I wanted it simple and to the point.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rjwoelk

Countryside firewood. Was the start.
Then the sawmill showed up.
Now it's Countryside firewood and custom lumber.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Patrick NC

A+ Custom Sawing and Urban Lumber LLC
Kinda lengthy, but easy to remember. A lot of the logs I get come from new job sites that we start at my day job. Many of these sites are in and around the city of Charlotte NC and are too small for commercial loggers to be interested in the timber. So I take a lot of the logs home. Most of them would be destined to go to the landfill. Not because they aren't good logs, but mostly because of the small amount on each job. I've made quite a bit of money from these "urban" logs.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Cjross73

Quote from: dgdrls on November 25, 2020, 09:16:46 PM
Quote from: Cjross73 on November 25, 2020, 08:53:10 PM

Bear the Blue Heeler?

You folks make THE best pickles indeed!!  

At  Cucumber and Vine,  ;)
The pickle plant is about 10 min from here, not a big fan of pickles but I hear they are good.  
Charli is a blue heeler, looked like a little bear cub as a pup so everyone calls her blue bear
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Skip

Rocking K  (K with a rocker underneath) like a brand , Last name starts with a K . My LLC used to cover a couple of endeavors .

boonesyard

I'm already in a crazy busy business (Municipal General Contracting) and it pretty much takes all my time. A lifetime ago I had a small woodworking business that I really enjoyed, but life got in the way and it took a different path. 3 years ago we decided to build a toybox for our grand daughters and snap,,,, I had the bug again. Went down the rabbit hole and started looking at hobby sawmills along with getting back in to some woodworking for myself. An LT50, kiln, support equipment, tools, buildings 3 years later, WHAT HAVE I DONE  ;D. 

My wife and I like to work (nuts, i know), so we decided to create a partnership for a retirement business while we had income from our real job :D. The first name we came up with was "It All Started With A Toy Box", too long and confusing. Wilkin Wood Products, Wilkin is just the county, is general enough to encompass it all, and just kin of rolled off the tongue. Fun stuff
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Thank You Sponsors!