iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling 2x6s from a 17" log

Started by leeroyjd, February 28, 2024, 03:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeroyjd

A friend dropped it off and wants as many 2x6s as possible.
Any suggestions for best way to break this down?
My plan was to make some 2" side wood that I will edge later, then have a 12x12" cant that I will split, then mill those into the 2x6s. But this seems like a lot of extra heavy handling,
especially on a mill that's all manual.  Am I missing an easier or better plan?
Woodland Mills HM 126

Peter Drouin

If you split the heart you will have all bananas.
Try to box the heart. Might have less lumber, but straight wood. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Position the log so that your saw through will be from either the hump or horn face of the log.  Take side lumber off until you have a 6" cant, then saw through.

In addition to the 2X6's, you will get a few 2X4's plus your stickers. 

I realize that it will be more handling but quality is your most important product.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RetiredTech

Hmm, I must be missing something here. Do you see a picture with the OP? I checked the post logged in and as guest but I don't see a log.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

leeroyjd

Quote from: RetiredTech on February 28, 2024, 07:19:02 AMHmm, I must be missing something here. Do you see a picture with the OP? I checked the post logged in and as guest but I don't see a log.
No picture, but if I get a break in the rain I will try to get one. 14' White Pine for what it's worth.

leeroyjd

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 28, 2024, 06:02:37 AMIf you split the heart you will have all bananas.
Try to box the heart. Might have less lumber, but straight wood.
Does this mean to make sure one of the 2x6s ends up with a boxed heart? 
White Pine by the way.

RetiredTech

Quote from: leeroyjd on February 28, 2024, 08:34:54 AM
Quote from: RetiredTech on February 28, 2024, 07:19:02 AMHmm, I must be missing something here. Do you see a picture with the OP? I checked the post logged in and as guest but I don't see a log.
No picture, but if I get a break in the rain I will try to get one. 14' White Pine for what it's worth.
From the two answering post I assumed they were seeing a a crooked log. Had me thinking something was wrong on my end. :)
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

doc henderson

you might find out and or add what the lumber will be used for.  If some wane is acceptable as in for framing, you can get more rather than if each board needs all sides perfect.  It seems if I try too hard to get more, I get less.  meaning you will sacrifice something like quality, to get quantity.  that is where you have to understand the goals of the client.  You could tell him; it would be easier if you just bring me an extra log.  remember the 2/3rds rule.  you may not be able to get a 12 x 12 cant from a 17-inch log.  Assuming that is the small end, and the log is straight, it looks more like an 11-inch cant.  full 2 x 6 or nominal size?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

leeroyjd

@doc henderson  it will be full 2x6 for framing a barn addition, including rafters. Wane is acceptable. He has framed with lumber I've milled in the past, just trying to learn more.
The pith is not centered on either end and it has some sweep.

jpassardi

You noted it does have sweep: I believe Magic was saying to cut from those sides to make the cant so the stress and bending ends up along the thin dimension of the 2X's.
This is preferred for framing lumber as it can be straightened when sheathed. With boards it's best to have the bend along the wide dimension as you can joint and rip to straighten once dried.
Pith causes considerably less distortion in white pine once dried than it will in hardwoods like hickory or oak.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

bannerd

If you do the math a 17" dia log will give you a 12x12" cant.  You should have a total of 12 2x6.  Might be able to swing some 2x4's from the slab wood but that's up to you and your time.

Also depends on a lot of factors but EWP is pretty good wood and I've never seen it twist or bow.. very relaxed.

doc henderson

a straight 18" diameter log at the small end for sure.  a 17" with sweep, maybe, maybe not.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Using the "half again bigger" rule, yes a 17" top is close enough to give a 12X12 cant with probably a touch of wane.  If it has much sweep it may only be a 12X10.

I can not and will not chance splitting a 12" cant into two 6's.  Ain't gonna happen.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

so, MM, you would cut side lumber to get a central cant that is 6 x ?? and cut that into as many 2 x 6s possible and then edge the side lumber?  you would try to capture the pith in one board, that may or may not behave itself? :usa:

Magicman

No, I would make no attempt to capture the pith on the saw through.  If the center boards have a tendency to bow, place the ends downward so that the weight above will flatten them as they dry.

A builder can deal with bow, but crook (crown) can be a very real problem.

Thank You Sponsors!