iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home-made hydraulics

Started by pineywoods, October 24, 2009, 10:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I just finished adding hydraulics to a friend's woodmizer manual LT40. Here's how to add a log turner, log clamp and toe roller to just about any bandmill. I added power backstops also, but that's pretty much woodmizer specific. This is a claw type turner with a couple of unusual twists. All the claw type turners I have ever seen use springs or bungee cords to hold the claw against the log. This one uses a hydraulic cylinder that's stout enough to shove a log up against the backstops, and serve as a very good log clamp. The claw can drop down low enough to get under a cant and lift it up, then slide it in or out.

This is the third mill I have upgraded, so it's a well proven design. An absolute requirement on all 3 was absolutely NO WELDING on the mill structure. Everything bolts on. On an LT40, 2 holes have to be drilled through one of the bunks.

here's the beginning, made of 2X3X 1/4inch angle iron. The round holes are 1 inch to take 1 inch steel pins. The oblong holes are a passthrough for a push rod on the power backstops

Here's the sub-assemblies , the mount. lift arm fabricated from 3X 1/4 plate, and the claw arm from 2 inch square tube

The whole works assembled with 3 hydraulic cylinders installed

It bolts to the inside of the frame rail with 4 bolts. On LT40's the holes are already there

Toe roller assembley

Bolts to the front log bunk with 2 bolts

Mount for the 2 hp 110 volt electric motor and 3 gpm pump bolts on to the hitch attach bolts. ok, I forgot to rotate the pic 90 deg  :-[

Oil tank (made from a piece of 4 inch pipe) and filter mounts on the other side.

The control valves mount on top of the motor mount, this shows all the necessary plumbing also

There's some welding involved on the power backstops, remove the backstop from the mill and make 2 of these out of 1/4 inch steel plate

and weld them to the backstops

The two backstops are linked together with push tube made from 1/2 inch pipe with rod end bearings on each end

Actuator cylinder is attached

with a bracket bolted to the log bunk. Requires drilling 2 holes in the bunk.

Couple of other points...The motor is a compressor duty 2 hp counter clockwise rotation, pump is coupled with a lovejoy coupling, pump must be clockwise rotation. There is a manual switch mounted to turn the motor on and off, don't leave it running continuosly. Before you ask, I used steel pipe instead of hose, because it's a bunch cheaper, there is a short 18 inch hose on the cylinder end.
why 3 cylinders on the turner??  Physical room. not enough room to get larger cylinder in the space so use 2  2 inch
The main lift cylinders are 2in X 12 inch stroke
the claw cylinder is 2 inch X 6 inch stroke
The toe roller uses a 2 in X 4 inch stroke
Backstop actuator is 2 in X 8 inch stroke.

Control valves....new stock from surplus center. Standard open center valves

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Piney, this is a super post.  I would like
to adapt some of your ideas to my mill.  What would you guestimate the total cost of the added hydraulics including steel and all parts?

Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pineywoods

Quote from: fishpharmer on October 24, 2009, 10:11:46 PM

What would you guestimate the total cost of the added hydraulics including steel and all parts?

Thanks

The mill owner bought the parts all new, but they mostly came from surplus center. I would guess somewhere around a grand. The one I upgraded before this one was around $700, but that was a few years ago and did not include the powered backstops.
Nice thing is, once you get past the control valves, motor and pump, you can just build the turner and add other stuff later. The valves I used are the stackable kind, you buy the 2 ends and then just stack ever how many valves you need in between, add more valves, just use longer bolts through the stack.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

bandmiller2

Piney,this setup just cries to have a vidio of it in operation.If you traced pattern on kraft paper ,bill of materials,and instruction sheet you would have a very saleable set of plans.In fact it looks like it would be adaptable to circular mills.As I've said before I wish you were my neighbor.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Norm

Larry

Outstanding job Piney 8) 8) 8)

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 25, 2009, 07:01:33 AM
Piney,this setup just cries to have a vidio of it in operation.If you traced pattern on kraft paper ,bill of materials,and instruction sheet you would have a very saleable set of plans.In fact it looks like it would be adaptable to circular mills.As I've said before I wish you were my neighbor.Frank C.

I agree.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

york

PW,

looking at your turner-for the cyl. that is in there instead of the springs,are you able to put control valve in float???And yes,would like to see vid. of this setup...

Bert
Albert

sdunston

Great job, Are you using the logtuner as a log clamp all the time or just on large cants?
Thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Planman1954

Wow piney woods, I'll bet you could figure out how to put a man on the moon.......AGAIN!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Ernie

You ever thinking of coming to New Zealand?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

pineywoods

To answer a few questions
I use the clamp feature on everything all the time. Exception- it won't turn or clamp a 6 inch log, won't reach in close enough, but it will roll a 36 incher.

The control valve for the clamp does not have float, why would you want to???

video--I don't have the facilities to get a video uploaded. come visit and bring camcorder.

stumpy --Don't think I'd go so far as to make templates, but how about if I post drawings with dimensions ?  I definitely am not interested in selling plans..

I cut most of the parts with an abrasive cut-off saw, couple of places where a cutting torch came in handy. Welded everything with an old 200 amp stick welder. A one inch drill bit is a necessity, preferably in a good heavy drill press.

Ernie - Of all the places on this world I would like to visit, NZ is right up there at the top. Fraid it'll never happen tho  :(

Planman - thanks for the compliment. It would take a heap of cipherin, I don't exactly remember how we did it  ;D

stumpy

Thanks Piney,  I understand.  Anything you could do in the way of pictures and/or drawings with measurements would be greatly appreciated.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

sdunston

Thanks for the reply on the clamp. Have you even given thought to making a clamp/dog like is on the lt40-SH?
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

pineywoods

Quote from: sdunston on October 26, 2009, 08:35:04 PM
Thanks for the reply on the clamp. Have you even given thought to making a clamp/dog like is on the lt40-SH?
Sam
Yeah, I thought about it. Not worth the trouble and expense for me. I even thought about buying the parts from woodmizer, but my mill is so old, the parts won't fit. I have a friend right up the road who runs an LT40 super hydraulic with the 2 plane clamp. Within limits, my setup will do anything his will, just not quite as fast.

bandmiller2

Piney,your ahead of me I haven't even mastered the picture thing.I am fasinated by that turner clamp but its hard to visualize its operation, mayby a snapshot of it turning a log or cant.Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ronwood

pineywood,

Is the response of the hydraulics quicker than the non super lt40? I was wondering if it would be something that I could attach to mill like Bibbyman only I would like to disconnect so that I can go portable.

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

MotorSeven

Coon-azz ingenuity....straight from the bayou ;D  Piney, that's fantastic....I wish I had your talent.
As far as NZ, I am thinking a trade would benefit some sawyers there. Fly Piney over, have all the parts/materials ready. Have him fab it all up, show him the "countryside" & fly him back. It's a win win.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

pineywoods

Quote from: ronwood on October 27, 2009, 09:15:06 AM
pineywood,

Is the response of the hydraulics quicker than the non super lt40? I was wondering if it would be something that I could attach to mill like Bibbyman only I would like to disconnect so that I can go portable.

I'd say the speed is about the same as the standard mizer hydraulics. I'm limited by the small motor (2 hp) and 3 gpm pump. With bigger motor and pump it could be made as fast as you want. One easy option would be to put disconnects in the lines and hook it up to a log splitter, or tractor hydraulics. For fixed installation, Bibby's setup is the best deal. I did put a 2 stage log splitter pump on one mill. Had to fall back to smaller pump, the 2 hp electric motor won't pull a log splitter pump. Some mills have a separate small gas engine to drive the hydraulics. I did consider that option, even acquired a 5 hp honda but opted for the electric because all 3 mills are fixed setups under a shed.

Ohio_Bill

Pineywoods  ,  Your  clamp and turner combo looks great  I have a LT 40 manual with Woodmizers  add on hydraulic  loader kit  which could supply the juice to make your clamp / turner work for me . I also have a son in law that is a welder -pipe fitter by trade that has offered to build it for me.  You had mentioned in a previous post that you might post some dimensions or drawings. I would really appreciate that if you could .
Thank You for sharing your project.
Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

woodhick

Ohio Bill, not knocking piney's clamp as it looks really good but I have a manuall  LT40 mill that I have added hydraulics to and I bought the two plane clamp from woodmizer and added to mine.  You would have to cut the outer 4"x4" frame but not that hard.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

sdunston

Woodhick, what was the price tag on that 2-plane clamp? And do you have any photo's of the retofit
thanks Sam

woodhick

At the time the price  (if I remember correctly) was $1500.  I don't have any pics of the mod but will try to get some.   The outer 4"x4" frame has to be cut to allow the clamp to go in.   I welded a piece of 4"x4" tube to the outside of mine before cutting the inner one out so I would not mess up any alignment with the mill. Best mod I have ever done.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

coastlogger

Good thread!What does this 2 plane clamp look like  anyone have a picture? very few woodmizers around here to look at.Thx
clgr
clgr

Ohio_Bill

Coastlogger : you can go to Woodmizers Web site and look at the LT40 HD 28  and see a demo of the clamp .

thanks

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Puffergas

Now that's poetry in motion  8)

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!