iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ips beetles

Started by GATreeGrower, August 13, 2013, 06:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

We have what I believe are Ips beetles in a 27 year old stand.  There are about 20-30 trees that I just noticed are infested.  They have jumped on it quickly.  There's about 60-70 acres of these pines.  We were going to wait another year to cut but should we go ahead?   Can we get away with only cutting a few acres around the outbreak spot?

Texas Ranger

Looks like a lightning strike on the middle tree, I would watch real close, and cut to preserve
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Looks like the lightning struck tree attracted them.  They will probably stop there, but they bear watching closely.  I expect stumpage prices to go up a bit next year, so waiting until next year on the whole stand and losing the trees in this spot would probably make you more money than harvesting the whole stand now.  If you could cut a couple of acres around the spot now, that should take care of the problem, and you will not lose much value.  Check to make sure they are not in other parts of the stand.  Do you see pitch tubes on the trees?

Hopefully, they are not southern pine beetle.  There is a way to tell by taking off a piece of bark and looking at the egg gallery shape in the inner bark.  The gallery branching pattern for Ips and SPB are different.  As I am sure you know, SPB would be a higher level threat to the stand. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

I'm gonna check tomorrow more closely, burnt out on the tree farming business today.  Bogged down in the woods since 9:00 and had to leave the disc harrow behind for another problem.

Logger is supposed to move in sometime next week anyway but it was on the other side of the road.  This stand was thinned pretty badly (by a different logger & I was still in school) and isn't doing much growing.  A lot of it has died already.

Thank yall as always.  If it's SPB, clear cut?

WDH

No.  But, I would cut more like five acres around the spot.  The GFC website should have some specific recommendations on just what size buffer to cut for SPB.  They can be nasty. 

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Quote from: WDH on August 13, 2013, 10:37:23 PM
No.  But, I would cut more like five acres around the spot.  The GFC website should have some specific recommendations on just what size buffer to cut for SPB.  They can be nasty. 

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Hoping so, Mr. Danny.  Thanks as always.

Texas Ranger

It looks like Ips, but only inspection would tell.  Danny may be right on the 5 acres, but, I would be more conservative.  but, Danny knows Georgia a whole lot better than I do.

OK, never mind on the 5 acre comment above, Danny was talking about SPB.  Flagging in the crowns supports Ips as the cause.  I do not care to be quoted on prescriptions from Texas, Danny does enough of that!!! 8)  Long distance recommendations are suspect, at best.

WDH

After checking, the buffer width that must be cut around an active SPB spot is at least as wide as the trees are tall.  For 27 year old trees, I would go with at least 100 feet around the spot.  A circle with a radius of 100 feet is a bit less than 1 acre. 

Texas Ranger

Back in the day when I was actively controlling SPB's we cut 100 feet in front of the last fader's and monitored for a few weeks.  Had one guy working for me that could smell an active beetle spot, never got the hang of that, but you could hear the secondary insects.  Biggest bug spot I ever worked was a little over 1800 acres back in the '80's, we harvested over one million feet and lost several million more.  The spot had come off the Big Thicket National Monument, where there was no control, and into the A-C indian reservation.  It took us most of the summer to shut it down.

GATreeGrower

I havent had a chance to look.  Started monsooning after work and hasn't quit.  And the harrow still stuck in the mud.   ::)

WDH

The rain has missed me so far  :-\.

GATreeGrower

Looked today and could not find any signs of bugs...no pitch tubes, no dust...it appears the lightning strike weakened all those trees.  ???

Texas Ranger

Cut the strike trees and watch the rest.  Flagging in the crowns is the first indicator of Ips, so watch for an increase.

GATreeGrower

We are planning to cut em....in other news, the harrow is out of the muck finally  8)

WDH

Even in the torrential rains  ???. 

Texas Ranger

And looks like more coming................

Claybraker

Considering the Okefenokee burned clear to the waterline in 2011-12, and what they are facing out west, we ain't complaining.

GATreeGrower

WDH....friend with a big dozer did us a favor

WDH

Big dozers can be very handy.

Thank You Sponsors!