iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cummins problem

Started by Ken, August 28, 2013, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I was working with the harvester yesterday morning when it just shut off.  After talking to a couple of mechanics I changed the fuel shutoff solenoid.  What a tight fit that was  >:(.  The fuel shut off had not been working properly for the last while but changing that did not allow the machine to start. 

There is a mechanical lift pump that when pushed is moving fuel through the filters and the injection pump.  When I crank the motor over there is no fuel travelling through the injection pump.  Therefore I have made the determination that the pump has failed for some reason.  After a day of searching eastern Canada I have come to the conclusion that there are no reman pumps available.  A new one from Cummins is prohibitively expensive.  I may have to have mine rebuilt if nobody can point me in a direction where I can get a reman. 

Thanks in advance
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Dave Shepard

What model engine? Is it an inline, or a rotary pump? The electronic rotary pumps in the 98.5 to 02 Dodge trucks were prone to die if they did not receive enough fuel flow to cool the electronics in the pump. If it's an inline, I'd be surprised of a sudden failure.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ken

Sorry it is a 5.9L in a 97 Timberjack.   I believe it is a Bosch inline pump.  Not sure of the difference between inline and rotary pumps
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Dave Shepard

'97 is probably inline. It's probably something like a 6BTA5.9C model. If it's QSB or ISB that's an electronic engine. An inline pump will have all six injector lines in a row, and a rotary will have then in a circle around the outside of the pump.

Is it the P7100 pump? A search comes up with them starting at $825, but I think you'd have to know exactly what specs it has.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Ken, you could put a 12 volt inline electric fuel pump to get the fuel to the fuel injection pump untill you get the right transfer pump. I had the same thing happen on my Franklin skidder and it had the same cummins engine. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

ken call corry at diesel injection in bangor. he used to work for cummins and he dose bosch injection pumps. he knows his stuff. i knew him when he was a little kid hadnt seen him in years till i bought a ficm for my 6.0 from him. the case motor is the same thing

barbender

A '97 won't be electronic, it is likely a Bosch P7100. It would be unlikely for it to die suddenly. If it is the transfer (or "lift") pump, Loggah has the remedy. Did you crack open your injection lines to see if there is fuel and get any air out? I did have an older Dodge pickup, a '90 model, the cummins in that one had a rotary pump. It developed a bad seal that would bleed the fuel off on the low pressure side, and it would start really hard if didn't work the primer (which is also your lift pump).
Too many irons in the fire

HiTech

Fuel shutoff solenoids aren't cheap either. I had a 5.9 cummins when you shut it off it would not start again. NAPA stores can get the lift pump. When they told me the price of the solenoid I almost had the big one. Didn't buy it. I went home opened the hood and turned the key to the run position. Next I reached in and moved the solenoid lever till I heard a click. Then started the engine. Shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Repeated the process and it started again. I had some lube they use on disc brake calipers and put some on the solenoid rod and moved it up and down by hand a few times. (There is a boot that covers this rod) then tried the key and it worked fine. Has worked fine ever since. In the run position the magnet in the solenoid pulls the lever up opening the fuel supply. The rod must have got dry or corroded a little and the lube freed it up. You can hear the click of the solenoid when it opens in the run  position. It could be a faulty starter switch also I suppose.

Dom

I imagine you tried Stairs Diesel in Dartmouth 902-468-5626? They reman pumps and usually have some in stock. There is one Cummin's injection pump  I recall that they can't do as it requires special tools. They ship that model to BC and have it done there.

Thank You Sponsors!