iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curved Mantel sawing or Firewood?

Started by pine, March 03, 2015, 12:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pine

The answer I am most likely to get is that it is firewood but here is the scenario.

A friend has a 34" diameter log that has a LOT of sweep in it. Grew up at about 45 degrees before going vertical at about 20 linear feet from the ground.  To say there is stress in the log is putting it mildly.
He wants to know if it can be sawn to make a curved mantle.  Obviously it can be hand hewn to make a curved mantel out of it but my question is can it be sawn into a 4 x 10, oriented such that the stress will curve the beam/mantle.  I suspect that at the 4x10 dimensions that there is too much mass for the stress to curve the cant into a shape that can be used for a curved mantel.

If it is possible to get the natural stress to curve the cant I presume that the 10" dimension would be in the plane of the curve and the 4" dimension would be orthogonal to the curve.

Can you spell firewood

thecfarm

Jim Roger did a curved log on his mill. Yes,it may take time. BUT it would be worth it to see it as a mantel for years!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I would saw it, you can always burn it later if need be, I remember the pics of Jims bench, and have seen a few others on here,  the just saw the timbers keeping the natural curve it looks to me.  Trying to saw one and have it react in time to a desired curvature seems a bit of a stretch.  I would find out what is needed in the curve, then lay it out on the sweepy log and see if you can saw it out that way already curved to specs, so to speak. sounds like an interesting project,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmarch

I've cut several curved pieces and the thicker the better it seems to a point.  The most stable are of course without the pith, anything above 2.5 inches thick seemed to survive without a problem, thinner wanted to twist more.  I like to cut them thick then saw to thickness after they dry.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Jim_Rogers

The hardest cut is the first one. You have to block up or hold up the top end so that you'll make a fairly even cut along one side.

Then after that cut flip it over. Now with the cut side down it's easy to slide it around on the mill table. You can saw in a ways, shift it over and then saw some more.

I've done it lots of times.

Just don't do this:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fishfighter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You need to put that log on CustomSawyers LT70 lathe.  He can make a propeller out of it.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Gideon_70

Quote from: pine on March 03, 2015, 12:57:21 AM
The answer I am most likely to get is that it is firewood but here is the scenario.

A friend has a 34" diameter log that has a LOT of sweep in it. Grew up at about 45 degrees before going vertical at about 20 linear feet from the ground.  To say there is stress in the log is putting it mildly.
He wants to know if it can be sawn to make a curved mantle. 

I would say yes, yes, and yes!

Okay, I did this a while back and it came out great.  First, if you need a 4" mantle, then go about 8" on the cut.  Cut it with the idea that you are going to cut it again later.

Now, stack something nice and heavy on it, so that it doesn't rack too much, and then put it somewhere in the sun and let it dry.  When it's pretty dry take it back to your mill, and because it will have some new twist in it, use blocks to center it on the mill, and then slice one side to remove the twist, and then take it back and let it dry a little more, just to make sure you're good.  Then put it belly down, and slab off the rest of the twist on the other side.  Now, you should have a block that is about 5-6" 

If you really want to do it right... take it to the house and let it sit there, inside, for a couple of months and let it dry as much as they homeowner will stand.  Then lock it in the mill and finish it by taking it to 4". 

I did this recently with some bench seats.  I wanted a couple of benches and used an oak log that was really bent over.  It twisted on me, and did it pretty badly... but I was able to slab off enough to take the twist out with a little creative blocking.  I left enough to sand down and soon I'll be adding oil to it to get it ready to put out.

I would say that the only difference you will see is that once it's in the house, it will twist a little more before it's installed.

But as for me, I say try it!
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Gideon_70

You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Jim_Rogers

Sold it for a curved bench seat.

Jim Rogers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 04, 2015, 09:35:03 AM
Sold it for a curved bench seat.

Jim Rogers

BAM! $300.00!  :D :D :D :D :D

Jim_Rogers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

100 BUCKS IS A 100 BUCKS....NOT BAD FOR THAT LOG.  :) BETTER THAN FIREWOOD.  8)

MartyParsons

Hello,
Still trying to get the picture live on the post? 

We did make a nice bench after Lisa completed her nap.

We did not have any yellow paint!

(1)    (0)   

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D Looks like a 'nanner.  ;D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I am the last person to give advice on cutting logs with sweep.  All I know is that I love the challenge of cutting them and I learn a whole lot at the same time. Way better than book learnin'!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!