iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hedgelaying UK Well into the 20/21 season

Started by Dorset, December 16, 2020, 09:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorset

Hi all from the soggy SW UK 
Hope everyones doing ok.
Well, as the subject states were well into the hedgelaying season over here now and heres a couple of pic's just from the last job.
Some before and afters (depending how they have loaded up )

< 
Others can be seen on website FB or IG
Russell
Dorset Hedgelayer ? Hedge Laying,
Echo 501XS, Echo 390ESX, Echo 2511WES. Elwell3807#2, & Gilpin Yorkshire billhooks, L200, 1 Cocker Spaniel & 1 Cairn Terrier,

jmouton

i got a dumb question,,  but what is hedgelaying  and why,,just to clear the land,,does it grow back every year,,just a little confused about this ,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Ianab

It's on old technique mostly used in England, and predates fencing wire. By coppicing, pruning and intertwining the branches you can make a stock proof living "fence: So the first picture is a "fresh" job, and the later ones are a year or 2 later when it's all bushed out again. After a few years it gets trimmed back and redone. 

I read some place that they can estimate the age of the hedge by how many different species of tree are in it. Over the centuries more random seeds get dropped by birds, so there is a greater variety of species making up the hedge. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: jmouton on December 16, 2020, 08:09:44 PM
i got a dumb question,,  but what is hedgelaying  and why,,just to clear the land,,does it grow back every year,,just a little confused about this ,,
:D :D :D :D

Not a big sport/task in the USA.

I grew up in Fla. The first I time I turned on the TV and saw a bunch of morons on the ice with a bunch of brooms and an old dishpan filled with ?? and they called it curling I knew cold weather and being locking inside too long did things to people's minds.

Truth be told - crickets are better bluegill bait than a national sport too. Sorry if that steps on anybody's toes.;D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mudfarmer

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Watched a video a while back and it seemed like there were different methods based on region that were used for hedge laying but don't remember the specifics of which means which place or how many variations there were. Yours has a single post driven in with horizontal stems woven around/in between but seems like some other region used one on each side or some other difference.

What I am asking is, do you have a term for your specific type of hedge laying? Are there derogatory terms for how those "other" crazies down the way do it? :D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

farmfromkansas

Looks like a lot of work, if you have to rebuild often.  Seems building a fence with hedge posts and barbed wire is less labor intensive.  Build new, lasts for years, then you repair the loose and broken spots and maybe get 50 years out of it.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Ianab

It's more a historic preservation thing I think. Some of those hedgerows could be 500 or more years old, and are part of the local ecosystem. (Wildlife habitat etc)

I imagine hiring a bulldozer and replacing with a modern fence would get the farmer run out of town pretty fast.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!