iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sandblasting

Started by westyswoods, February 16, 2012, 06:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westyswoods

Bought a Ford 350 Super Duty and in the process of converting to a flat bed dump. Will have the old box pulled today and am going to sandblast the frame and clean up before rebuilding for the dump.

Never sandblasted but have access to a commercial set up (outside) at a welding shop. I am sure the owner Dan will help in any way but wanted to pick a few brains as to what medium one should use an pressures to run at.

While I am at it I will clean up the tops to my joiner and planner (ouch) if my father were alive he would kick my butt for how they look. In doing these I don't want to pit and have heard corn cob is a great medium to use. Any info on tricks of the trade will be more than appreciated.

Thanks Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Tom L

I used to sandblast here at the shop but I do not any more, regular medium should work fine on the truck to remove old paint and dirt.
on the machined surfaces of you planer and jointer sandblasting will only make the pits bigger and deeper and will not flatten out the surface top. that is better machined or ground off at a machine shop. using a large surface grinder.

there is a bunch of different mediums you can use but none of them will repair a flat surface back to original.

sawguy21

I would use sand on the truck frame to cut the rust and scale but as Tom said, a less aggressive medium on the tools. Plastic bead would work well, baking soda or walnut shells are also good. The important thing is make sure the air is DRY. Moisture will make a goop especially with the soda.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DDDfarmer

For my old tablesaw I just used a sanding block with required emery cloth.  did not try to polish just returned to smooth then used some oil to prevent it from getting worse.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Don_Papenburg

For the frame :Larger grits of silica sand ,  Aluminum oxide if you have a booth .  90to 100# at a min.of 150 cfm.  I use 185cfm.   Make sure that you have a good comercial blasting hood .  wear a long sleave shirt and underwear with good elastic waistband .
for the cast tops :  you can use the same but blast at a 160 to 180 degree angle to the top .  This give a polishing effect rather than a pitting finish .  when you are done sand the serface with a random orbit sander working your way up from 80grit to 600 for a smooth top to 1200 for a finer top  you may have to go higher if you want a mirror polish. 

If you do not have a good comercial hood  ,get a real good dust mask with prefilters to wear under the cheap hood . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

westyswoods

Thanks to all who have responded. Had some things come up so will be a week before get to truck frame.

Gee does anyone else have a tendency to speak before thinking. Aligator mouth overload canary mind. Got like six big projects in the works how did that happen. DA

Have a great day
Stay Safe Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Thank You Sponsors!