iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley-Belsaw M-14

Started by SimpleLife, August 31, 2018, 02:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleLife

Hello Everyone! Got a few questions. Got the chance to buy a brand new(still on the skid),Partially assembled all steel frame M-14! Fellow two hours north of me is selling his dads mill that he bought and never got it set up. He's asking $2,000. Is that a good price?? He wasn't sure on the blade size. Did all these come with standard cutting capacity? I'm hoping to relocate upstate within the next couple years,so my question is can I set it up temporily on some timbers? Thanks for any help!
-Jeff

Don P

I bought mine new in '93 I think, production of the circle mills ended a few years later. IIRC it was around $6,000, 46" blade but there were several options, that was the largest. I don't think 2K is too much for that saw. I've been on temporary timbers since '93, Hmm that sounds like a T shirt :D

Take a look @moodnacreek 's gallery. He moved the feedworks outside of the rails, that is a good idea if you can do it. 

bandmiller2

Jeff, sounds fair for a new mill. For temporary use set it up on railroad ties. Sawdust around the ties will go a long way to keep it from frost heaving, some day give it a good foundation and a roof over its head. What are you going to use for power.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SimpleLife

Thanks for the replies! I don't have a tractor,So what would be the cheapest, most efficient way?

bandmiller2

Jeff, probably the best thing to find a large older farm tractor preferably a diesel. You must be concerned with proper rotation, belsaws are set up to use a tractor PTO parked on the back side of the mill. Tractor would have other uses and they have good governors very important to hold a saws hammered speed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!