iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best log splitter for small farm work?

Started by Cowgirl in boots, September 03, 2015, 01:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowgirl in boots

My boyfriend is looking for opinions from the pros here (he is not much of a computer whiz).

Could anyone give me some tips or suggestions on which log splitter would work best for him?  We just have a small farm with a lot of trees down from a storm and he wants to buy a log splitter.  He is looking at a 22 ton splitter at Lowe's, but any suggestions?

Thanks!

beenthere

Way too many variations and variables to consider for an answer to that question.

I have an 8hp horizontal splitter that will not convert to vertical. Don't find there is a need to have more or less.

It isn't the splitter that will make much difference. It is the gumption to get the job done in time to have a year or two supply of split wood seasoning before it is needed for heat (hope he is good at that !! )  ;D

Go for the one at Lowe's and if something better comes along after getting experience with the Lowe's, sell it and buy a different one. just sayin............  good luck.

There are prolly much better replies a-coming from others.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cowgirl in boots

Beenthere, thanks.  I understand that is a pretty vague question that I asked, but I know absolutely nothing about it, other than I like a fire in the fireplace.   ;D   I'll pass on your recommendation to him.  Thanks for the reply!

Ron Scott

The Husky splutters from Tractor Supply seem to do well for the small farm or home owner.
~Ron

Hilltop366

Many of the splitters have off shore engines on them and a lot of people have good luck with them, If your looking to get one splitter that will last for years with a lot of use look to a name brand engine.

Honda is the brand I would be looking for myself, I haven't heard anything bad about Subaru but no first hand experience.

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

treeslayer2003

there all pretty similar, i prefer one with the wedge on the beam instead of on the cylinder, but some may like the other way round. i would look for a horizontal about waist high, i hate bending over.

goose63

my old splitter

with a small A T V winch I'm to old to pick up the big one's

when I wore the old one out wife got me a new one it has a Honda engine and I put the winch on it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

I myself would buy one that splits either horizontal or vertical. I think most do at most of the big box stores. And most come at the same height. I brought one that has 26 ton of splitting power. I never used the vertical way until I got an OWB and needed to split some big pine. If you don't need it,than don't use it,but it might come in handy no matter what. Even if I am splitting pine that I just cut and splitting it to burn the same day.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cowgirl in boots

Thank you ALL so much for your advice & the pics also.  I can't wait to show him what you've shared!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

g_man

I have one of those very popular 22 ton splitters. It is an older one and has split a lot of wood. I also like the horizontal/vertical option. Hard to beat these splitters for the money.

Very big blocks I split vertically to sizes I can handle.

Most blocks I just use horizontal. I let the tractor do the lifting and toss it into a roughly stacked pile or into a trailer off the splitter.

gg

wfcjr

Timberwolf.   Made right in the USA in Rutland VT.

mad murdock

You say "small farm", what does that signify? What type and size of wood do you typically use as firewood?  For us, we have a small tree farm(40 acres), and heat with wood( doug fir, big leaf maple, madrone, alder), and have used large hydraulic (gas powered) and hand split with maul/axes. I prefer the axe, but we recently purchased a 6 ton electric splitter (bluehawk sold at lowes), and are honestly amazed and surprised at its ease of use performance and overall function. I was realy skeptical, but it is nice to use something quiet, and fairly fast on the cycle. We were a bit out of reach of an outlet, so we used a generator and with a heavier long cord kept that noise at a distance from out work area and it was really the most enjoyable time I have had splitting firewood for soem time. It was 299 new.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Cowgirl in boots

Thank you all again so much.  I showed your replies to him and he was really appreciative.

mad murdock, we have 100 acres of primarily oak trees.  We had a storm come through this past spring and blew down at least 100 large oaks.  Our property almost looks like it's been timbered.

Thank you everyone!  I think he is going to head to Lowe's for the 22 ton and go from there. 

leeroyjd

rjwoelk

I would go with the vertical/horizontal and able to do a 4 way split, we built our own and put a 4 way on it ,much better, get the job done faster, just need to have a good size cylinder on it.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

chester_tree _farmah

I was peeking at the $999 22 ton splitter at Tractor Supply. I am finally going to retire the maul this fall. I have to split enough for two homes now. It is the same one most of you guys are talking about that is made by Huskee?

Thanks
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

pineywoods

Quote from: Cowgirl in boots on September 06, 2015, 06:12:30 PM

we have 100 acres of primarily oak trees.  We had a storm come through this past spring and blew down at least 100 large oaks.  Our property almost looks like it's been timbered.

I'm right across the state line in north La. Sounds like the same storm that took down a bunch of nice oaks for me, that I still haven't stated cleaning up.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SAnVA

Please do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to get a decent splitter now, buy one that will split either vertically or horizontal and please buy one with a horizontal shaft HONDA engine, preferably their better engine (red & white) you will be so much happier in the long run. Hondas are very reliable, quiet, and have the easy start pull start , I believe my 3 yr. old grandson could probably start mine, that easy to pull! If you have a Northern store around you they sell some pretty nice ones equipped with the good Honda engine for around $1600, good luck!

OH logger

I am a firm believer in timberwolfs so I would suggest one of those even if you opt for the smaller model. they are top notch quality. my buddy has a husky and it is in the shop more than the woods. most of the time its the motor, I think it has a Tecumseh. junk. you get what you pay for and you will get years of use and hundreds if not thousands of cords through a timberwolf and still have something in the end.
john

Maine logger88

I agree on the timber wolf I have a tw2 that has served me well for years!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

John Mc

Quote from: OH logger on September 08, 2015, 09:47:20 PM
I am a firm believer in timberwolfs so I would suggest one of those even if you opt for the smaller model. they are top notch quality. my buddy has a husky and it is in the shop more than the woods. most of the time its the motor, I think it has a Tecumseh. junk. you get what you pay for and you will get years of use and hundreds if not thousands of cords through a timberwolf and still have something in the end.

Tecumseh engines have not been made in a while, I believe.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Kbeitz

Today the only way I would go is with a flywheel splitter...
Small engine and very fast...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!