iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsereds 70E rescued!

Started by HolmenTree, June 24, 2014, 10:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Today I was in the middle of a residential tree removal job when a old logger friend stopped by and yelled to me... "Willard I found something at the garbage dump that will bring back some memories".

He brings out this Jonsereds 70E from the late 1970s that was missing a air filter, filter top cover and a chain brake lever but other wise in very nice shape. Who ever owned it had good taste and out fitted it with a Tsumura bar and Stihl semi chisel chain. Bar looks brand new with just some rust, chain is brand new.
Good compression but that's as far as I got with it, probably a burnt out electronic ignition module. Anyways my buddy gave it to me.............. and now I have the urge to start collecting and fixing vintage saws :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ReggieT

Great Find!!
Definitely worth restoring! 8)
Have you tracked down any missing parts yet?

SawTroll

Information collector.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

thecfarm

Did someone clean it up before throwing it away?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Quote from: ReggieT on June 25, 2014, 02:04:22 AM
Great Find!!
No time at the moment but will look into it soon.  It may never be a runner from the corrosion I saw inside the fuel tank. Would mean a total break down which would mean new gaskets , bearings etc.
If I could find the Nordfeller inflatable felling wedge accessory I would mount it on this saw seeing it was designed as an option for the Jonsered 70E.......I would then have a interesting conversation piece for a display.

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on June 25, 2014, 08:28:40 AM
Did someone clean it up before throwing it away?  ;D
No I spent about 20 minutes with some WD40 , some emery cloth and a rag before I took the pictures.

Fifelaker

Before you get too deep into it make sure it has spark. The ignition parts are NLA and hard to find. That was a later one I believe as it has a chain brake. My Dads was an 81 I believe and had no brake. Sawtroll is an encyclopedia on these.

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

shinnlinger

Don't forget about chainsawr for parts!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JohnG28

Big brother.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ReggieT

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 25, 2014, 08:35:58 AM
Quote from: ReggieT on June 25, 2014, 02:04:22 AM
Great Find!!
No time at the moment but will look into it soon.  It may never be a runner from the corrosion I saw inside the fuel tank. Would mean a total break down which would mean new gaskets , bearings etc.
If I could find the Nordfeller inflatable felling wedge accessory I would mount it on this saw seeing it was designed as an option for the Jonsered 70E.......I would then have a interesting conversation piece for a display.

Hmm...interesting! :o

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 25, 2014, 08:35:58 AM
No time at the moment but will look into it soon.  It may never be a runner from the corrosion I saw inside the fuel tank. Would mean a total break down which would mean new gaskets , bearings etc. .....

Have you verified that it actually is corrotion, and not just ramains of the "paint" that they used inside the tank?
Information collector.

LittleJohn

OH my the memories, I want to say the first saw my dad taugh me on was a 70e; and he made me limb trees with it.  Needless to say, after the first hour my arms and butt were dragging, but I loved it. Ahhh, to be young again.

Shetland Sheepdog

8) I have a 70E that came new without a brake. I added the brake shortly after purchase.
Saw sat unused for around 10 years, until I needed a longer bar!
Took it into the dealer, and he gave it a $75.00 tume up.
It is back on the front line, as good as ever!  8)
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

HolmenTree

JohnG28, Your 90 looks to be in beautiful shape. Yes I'm definitely on the lookout for a Jonsereds 90 too .....along with a 621, 80, 910 and a 111
:D

Sawtroll, yes the inside ceiling or roof of the fuel tank is corroded so bad the paint is just a scaly gray coating. Only that part of the tank though, weird.

Thanks to the other guys  for your comments 

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 26, 2014, 11:52:37 PM
Sawtroll, yes the inside ceiling or roof of the fuel tank is corroded so bad the paint is just a scaly gray coating. Only that part of the tank though, weird.

Yes, that is weird!
Information collector.

JohnG28

Thanks, I got you in mind if I decide not to keep it HT! Got it over the winter and haven't played with it much. Starts right up too. Too bad that 70E won't be a runner again.  :(

HolmenTree

I was just talking to my buddy who found  the 70E at the dump. He said  he grabbed the saw seconds before the dump dozer pushed everything up into the pit,  but he wasn't quick enough to grab a box sitting along side it , what he said was full of red colored parts.

My brother found a good condition 2 man Mall a few years back at his towns garbage dump.
One man's junk another man's gold.

HolmenTree

Quote from: JohnG28 on June 27, 2014, 11:15:14 AM
Thanks, I got you in mind if I decide not to keep it HT! Got it over the winter and haven't played with it much. Starts right up too. Too bad that 70E won't be a runner again.  :(
Thanks John, I'm definitely interested in the 90 if you decide to part with it.
I may get the 70 running but would be a good project for next winter off season. Very busy with treework at the moment.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Spike60

Great find Willard, and a classic saw for the collection. Despite their age, they really don't feel like old saws when you run them. Really ahead of their time when they came out. I've got 5 of those things, and I run them frequently. (same for the "little brother" 49SP. Together; the original 50-70cc "2 saw plan")

One of mine has that missing paint/corrosion/oxidation issue in the fuel tank. You can live with it on a saw that will only see occasional use. Fuel filter should be changed a little more often. And it's best to run/dump the fuel out after each use, which also provides a rinsing effect.

Chain brakes for 70E's were actually an option and can be found on either early or late model saws.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Oliver1655

Willard, you have mentioned the Nordfeller attachment before, how was it connected to the saw?  I have a air line you can use with a car engine by inserting it in place of a spark plug but as a chainsaw is a single cylinder, ...?
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Oliver1655

Willard a thought on the corrosion being mainly at the top of the tank.  I was taught to either keep the fuel tank topped off or if storing it for an extended period of time, to drain & dry it.  The reason is to prevent condensation damage.  If the tank was partially filled, the fuel would have protected the lower area but allow the open air area to corrode.

I use my saws frequently enough I just keep the fuel topped off.  (Ethanol free of course!)

Congratulations on the great gift! 
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

HolmenTree

Spike 60  I never owned a  70E when I worked the woods back in the day. I went straight to the 910 Jonsereds when it became available a year or so after the 70 was introduced.  Then when the 910 and 920 were wore out I bought the newly introduced 630. My brother did own a 70 and he said it was a big improvement over the 621.
I may soak the fuel tank in some sort of solvent to disolve the corrosion . I used to soak my tea corroded stainless steel thermos bottle with water and denture cleaner tablets....worked really good :D

Oliver I believe the Nordfeller option was plugged into the cylinder with a connector like on a air compressor and air hose. The cylinder port would probably be like a decompression port.
Im awy from home for a few days so can't check the 70 to see if the cylinder has the port.

Thank You Sponsors!