iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison sausage

Started by isawlogs, March 01, 2004, 04:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Any of you make your own.... I did a batch yesterday , Honey & garlic . They will be ready for the pan today , can't wait for lunch ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norwiscutter

Have made my own before... find it easier to take it in and have it made during the season. The price normally isn't to bad. Took 75 lbs in to the regular place this year and got 100 lbs back. Cost just under $200. Tried a new place also. took in 50 lbs., got 65 back and paid 110 for it. The sausage from the new place wern't as good as the regular place but the brats and italian sausages are the best I have ever had. If you are gonna take it in to be processed, try and get it in as soon as possible so you get it back faster.  We always shoot a few first weekend of bow season to get meat in the freezer.  Don't normally grind for burger until later in the season, we normally have some burger left over from the year before anyways. Everthing except the backstraps and large roasts goes to the processor to be made into sausage, brats, and hot dogs. Way to early to be talking about this stuff though... I am already getting hungry.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Kirk_Allen

I process about 200 lbs of venison each year.  We make our own Brats, summer sausage, venison sticks, breakfast sausage and peperoni.

We get a catalog from "The Sausage Maker" every year and that is where we buy our supplies.

I buy one 250lb pig from a local farmer each year and keep the select chops and use the rest for mixing with the venison.

I was getting tired of doing it unitl we purchased the BIG electric grinder from Cabelas.  Now that we have the stuffers and a good quality grinder its fun to do.

As we are spicing up the meat we will fry up a peice to see if its just right or needs more.  

I still have to do last years deer but not sure when I am going to get to it.

shopteacher

isaqwlogs: Just to let you know, my sample hasn't arrived yet.
(Butch been grumbling in anticipation)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

isawlogs

Shopteach...
 Had I known that you where into wanting some of those sausage I would of taped a pack or two to the moose that is bringing Jeff his mula fur the hat.... ;D ;D   YOUR WELCOME TO COME AND HAVE SOME HEAR ....(dam &*?%*? capslock ) We are tapping the maples so I figure by the time you get hear you could help... I mean have some of that to ;)
  You could if you want bring old butch with ya I'm sure hercules here will be quite happy to show him all the cool places to lift a leg....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

shopteacher

Ya know if school wasn't on and you lived south instead of north I would probably take you up on it. Wouldn't mind lending a hand at sugaring. My dad use to help out in Somerset County, Pa. when he was a kid. Where you guys get all those bottles with the log cabin on them? ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!