iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple syrup any one on here making it making it

Started by jocco, March 14, 2014, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daconant

We have an Urban Forestry forum, how about an Urban Maple Syrup forum  :D. 2 taps out with 5 gal joint compound buckets, 100yds south of the Boston city line. I boil it up on the kitchen stove as it comes in. Hoping to get a bit more that a quart of syrup from 2 small trees in the back lot. I lost my 4' dbh sugar maple last year to progressive decline. I used to put 3 buckets on it and get about a gallon of syrup in a good year. Still some of the best syrup ever. Is there a grade lighter than Light Amber. If so I had it.
I can sometimes start tapping in early Feb. This year, not until the first week of March. With the loss of our big tree last year, I had to buy syrup for the first time in 20 years. Hopefully the new youngsters will carry me in the future. My 20 year old son at college in VT is so used to it that he wants to tap a tree on the college property and boil it up in the dorm kitchen. I say, go for it.
David Conant

Maine372

tell him to tap it way high! high enough that only sap can get in the pail. college kids are known for pranks and general disrespect.

HiTech

It is zero here this morning. I have talked to some bigger producers 2,000 to 6,000 taps and they haven't done much. One who has 3,000 taps says he only gathered about 600 gallons of sap so far. I have a feeling being a late easter this year the season will be late also. I am going to see if my old crawler/loader will fire up and go forward and backward and steer left and right. If so I will open my roads. The season may not be lost yet.

JamesE. PikeLogging

have made a little over a gallon so far! looking forward to this warm weather for a big run!!!

Ed_K

Spring is here and sugaring is over here in ma. wasn't the greatest yr,I'm at 50% of a regular yr. The sugar content was good tho so I made some light syrup and have a 1/2 a wood shed to fill back up.
Now it time to get going on some TSI work till mud season is over.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!