iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dovetail jigs

Started by flip, January 09, 2008, 01:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Looking at 24" jigs, mainly PC omni and the Leigh D4R.  Any comments good or bad on either?  No, I don't have enough patience to do them by hand. :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

I have the Leigh jig and taught the class for a while here at the Woodcraft store.  It is  a very versitile jig and well made. You can cut through DT, half blind DT, sliding DT, and  box joints combining just about any thickness of wood from 1/4" through 1 1/4" and widths from 1 1/2" to 24".  All of that versatility comes with a price, though...lots of patience is needed.  Lots of tid bits of information is needed to be successful.  However, unlike me standing in front of a class, you can refer to the manuel when needed. :D  The manuel is very clearly written and gives you step by step procedures for all the above mentioned operations.  I think once you get over the initial hurdle of the learning curve, you will be very happy with what the jig can do.

In use, it takes me very little time to DT a drawer with the jig.  For a typical kitchen sized drawer, my guess would be 5-7 minutes for through dovetails. That includes changing the bit in the router.  They are much quicker than half blind on this jig.  For the through tails, you can sneek up on the right fit with out having to have test pieces.  With HB tails, the test cuts must be made on scrap.  Then after the proper adjustments are made and the fit is just right, you move on the project stock.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

I have the Leigh D4R.  It is more complex to use, but has great versatility.  Much more than the Porter Cable.  The big advantage is that you can dovetail a 24" panel.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

I have the 24" omni. I thought I needed the 24' to do chests and other wide panels. I don't think I have ever dovetailed anthing over 18". I don't like that I have to reach back behind and under the jig to adjust the clamp for the panels. Mine is several years old and I think on the new models the clamp adjustment is on the front and top. If my panels are all the same thickness I can half blind a drawer  in three or four minutes. If I don't use all the exactly same thickness panels it can take me ten minutes to do a drawer. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

flip

WDH you be readin' my mind  ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Thank You Sponsors!