iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a Mill

Started by wng-2, November 03, 2014, 11:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wng-2

Hi there, I'm looking to buy a mill sometime in 2015. My objective is to build a barn. I would like to think that I will keep the mill after the project is complete. I own a 45 H.P. Kubota tractor with forks. My thought right now is to buy a Woodmizer LT15. I would like to know your thoughts first of if that is a good choice, and what power option I should choose. I know a local fellow who has a LT15 and is very satisfied with it. He said on occasion more power would be nice, but for the most part the 18 H.P. Kohler is fine. I found it to be very loud. Is the 10 H.P. electric comparable to the 18 H.P. Kohler performance wise?
Is it possible to put a Honda on it? Thanks very much.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

york

Welcome,i think i would be asking Woodmizer this....
Albert

thecfarm

wng-2,welcome to the forum. There will be a 2 day expo in Bangor in May. There will be sawmills in motion there. WM,Thomas,Norwood and others was there last time. Lots of other wood stuff there.WM will also have a open house in April too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

uler3161

Quote from: wng-2 on November 03, 2014, 11:29:40 AM

I imagine it's possible, but it'd probably be up to you to handle pulleys, mounts, electrical, etc. But is there a reason you'd prefer a Honda? I think the Kohlers are great engines. If it's just an issue with the noise level, maybe just a different muffler would work.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

GAB

Is the 10 H.P. electric comparable to the 18 H.P. Kohler performance wise?
Welcome to the forum.
In reply to your motor to engine question - Generally speaking two HP gas or diesel is roughly equivalent to 1 HP electric.  So yes they are comparable.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

dgdrls

Welcome wng-2,

I see you are in Maine,  give Thomas Bandmills a call,
they run Honda motors on their mills and would be close by.

Best
DGDrls

Chuck White

Quote from: uler3161 on November 03, 2014, 12:15:13 PM

I imagine it's possible, but it'd probably be up to you to handle pulleys, mounts, electrical, etc. But is there a reason you'd prefer a Honda? I think the Kohlers are great engines. If it's just an issue with the noise level, maybe just a different muffler would work.

Or a second muffler!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, wng-2.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wng-2

Thanks very much for the replies guys! uler3161, I like Honda, I've good luck with them, and suspect it would be more quiet. I would have to determine first if I could buy the mill with no motor, then if I could fit the mill with a Honda, and what the total cost difference would be.  I suspect in the end the Kohler would be just fine for my needs, though I would like to explore the electric option some more as I do not intend to transport the mill. Thanks again for the replies, looks like a great forum!
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

WDH

If you buy the LT15, the engine upgrade to 25 HP is well worth it and will surely help the re-sale value if you decide to upgrade. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: dgdrls on November 03, 2014, 08:43:42 PM
Welcome wng-2,

I see you are in Maine,  give Thomas Bandmills a call,
they run Honda motors on their mills and would be close by.

Best
DGDrls

Welcome to the forum!  Many of us here in Maine & NH have Thomas mills. If your looking for an all manual mill they can't be beat and have several upgrade options. I'm sure anyone of us might give you a go at milling some wood on ours.  Another thing is Thomas will
Customize a mill for you. Thecfarm has the next size smaller mill to mine but with the 20hp Honda. Good combo. I really like the power of the 20hp. I've cut some pretty big/dense stuff with it without a worry and its a solid power unit.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Bruno of NH

I have a thomas 8013  with no flex and the trailer pkg .
It has a 13 hp honda cuts great and is very quiet any one that watches the mill running comments on how quiet it is .
Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scully

Ear plugs are cheap ,we all should wear them ! No matter how you go good luck !
I bleed orange  .

Tree Dan

Welcome to the forum,
If you like the LT15 ...You may want to have a look at the lt15Wide.
I would also consider the 25 hp...Lots of power.
They use the same motor on the new lt35.
Have fun with your new adventure

TD
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

thecfarm

The options are nice on the Thomas,20hp honda,no flex track,I have the 4 foot extension,I can cut 20 foot logs and I have the movable bunks so I can cut a piece of stove wood length wood. The grab the throttle and push is nice too. No other lever to engage. I did not get the trailer package with mine. They removed it when they delivered it,which saved me some money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wng-2

Quote from: thecfarm on November 04, 2014, 07:32:41 PM
The options are nice on the Thomas,20hp honda,no flex track,I have the 4 foot extension,I can cut 20 foot logs and I have the movable bunks so I can cut a piece of stove wood length wood. The grab the throttle and push is nice too. No other lever to engage. I did not get the trailer package with mine. They removed it when they delivered it,which saved me some money.

That sounds like a great setup! Can I ask what the total cost was for what you have? I see you live in the same town as the Woodmizer dealer. Have you ever owned a Woodmizer? I would like to know what steered you to the Thomas. I have plenty of time to make my mind up on this, so I hope to get myself as well informed as possible, and this looks like the place to do it! Thanks again to all for your input. My initial thought of the LT15 is because I know a guy in the next town from me that owns one, and would be willing to help me set up, and school me a bit. I'm certainly open to all options. I'm green to the whole process. Thanks.

Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

thecfarm

The moveable bunks,the clutch,the no flex track,made in Maine too.  ;D   Mine is made out of ¼" 3x6 tubing with ¼"3X4 angle that the head runs on. That is a rugged mill. I think $7000 did it about 10 years ago. They also have a real nice clapboard option too. Not available than,just a lever to angle the head. No need to have a jig now. WM did not have much for smaller mills when I was looking way back when. Times have changed.

dboyt

Rather than deciding on a sawmill and looking for ways to modify it, you'll be ahead of the game by starting with what you want, then finding a mill that meets your requirements.  Lots of sponsors (banner on the left of the screen) to check out.  Guess it's no secret that I'm very pleased with my Norwood, and they do have Honda engines on their smaller mills.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Herb Brooks

I understand the affinity to Honda.  I too ride a Wing. Trying to wear out my second one now.  I was unsuccesful wearing out the first one.  Killed an 8 point with it @ 70mph.  Honda is a truly well made machine.  We run hondas on our compaction equipment at work. They run in the dust and vibration for what seams like forever. Got a 25hp Kohler on a stump grinder that just seems to use a lot of fuel. Pretty hard to stall or bog down but the fuel economy just don't seem to be as good as the hondas.

Bruno of NH

The honda on my mill sips gas .
That's  the great thing about Honda power .
Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

wng-2

Quote from: Herb Brooks on November 06, 2014, 05:31:52 PM
I understand the affinity to Honda.  I too ride a Wing. Trying to wear out my second one now.  I was unsuccesful wearing out the first one.  Killed an 8 point with it @ 70mph.  Honda is a truly well made machine.  We run hondas on our compaction equipment at work. They run in the dust and vibration for what seams like forever. Got a 25hp Kohler on a stump grinder that just seems to use a lot of fuel. Pretty hard to stall or bog down but the fuel economy just don't seem to be as good as the hondas.

Yikes! Killing an 8 pointer @ 70mph  is no fun, I hope you weren't injured! That is something I dread, I come into work early....I have  193k on Wing # 2, a 2001. I'm hoping to get my money's worth out of it sometime in the next eight to ten years, then get one more which should take me to the finish line....

Getting back to the topic of mills, I need to get myself as well informed as I can in the next six months. The primary objective is to get a barn built. I live in an 1100 square foot passive solar home. The good news it heats with three cords of wood per year, the bad news is that it's on a slab, so no basement storage. We do have 720 square foot garage, but that poor thing is full, and the wife wants some of it to upgrade the kitchen! I want to get a barn built, and I want to do it a inexpensively as possible. The wife and I are in our fifties, and life's challenges have prevented us from doing these upgrades and improvements sooner. I'd like to be able to retire and take her across North America on Wing # 3 as I have done Wing # 2, but we're running out of time, thus cost is a factor.  We do have some pine on the property, but not enough. I have a good friend that has a logging business and can provide me with what I need for logs.  I could have them milled locally, but I think milling is something I will enjoy. I could always sell the mill after the project is finished if I don't have the time to use it, or if I need the money more than the mill. I'd like to think that I will keep it, and if I do, speed of production will not be an important factor, and I have the tractor to the hydraulic work. I just tossed out the idea of putting a Honda on an LT 15 to see if anyone had done it. Looking online, a Honda in the 20 Horse range is in the $1300 neighborhood. Not sure if Woodmizer would even sell the mill with no motor, and if they did what the discount would  be, and  what the mechanics would be involved to make the Honda work. There is certainly something to be said about Honda reliability, quietness, and fuel economy, but the reality for the purposes of what I'm trying accomplish here is that the 18 horse Kohler on an LT 15 will do what I need it to do, at a good price, should I decide to go with that mill. I'm going to get myself as informed I can on all the mills, and I appreciate all your input. Thanks again.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

dgdrls

Wng-2, 

Good morning,  once you get a mill, you won't want to sell it ;)
The good news is almost all band mills are fundamentally the same. 
IMHO Service and off the self parts are a big factor after the sale,

Do yourself a favor and go "test drive" a few mills.
You'll learn more and discover the options that appeal to you.

Best
DGDrls

YellowHammer

I had an older model LT15 with a 15 hp electric start Kohler, no power feed, no frills, no bells, whistles or budget and I cut enough lumber for many, many farms, including my own, and cannot remember a single time the motor did not fire as soon as I turned the key.  I understand the desire for a Honda, but in reality I never had a moments problem with my Kohler, it was balanced and weighted correctly for the mill, was easy to raise with the hand crank, and hardly used any gas.  It made noise, but no worse than my lawn mower.  It had adequate power to mill logs to the max capaciity of the mill, and it cut straight as an arrow lumber, day after day, year after year.  I ended up selling it for a little less than what I paid for it new.  I guess my point is if you want to save money, and get sawing with no muss or fuss, get a solid manual mill from a reputable manufacturer and your biggest problem will be where to stack all the lumber.   ;D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

wng-2

Finally was able to pull the trigger. Now I have to prepare an area, and set it up. Tips for beginners are welcome.... :)

Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

derhntr

Congrats on your new mill 8) can't wait to see action photos
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Thank You Sponsors!