iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Correct amperage fuses for WM HD40

Started by wolf nemeth, October 13, 2015, 10:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf nemeth

Yesterday i fired up  the olde Mizer, but only for a second. Suddenly nothing worked, and I  found a destroyed fuse in the metal box (bad idea!) next to the battery.   there was a spare, a  150 amp --250V fuse , but  i read a previous post saying that  they'd  used 100 amp fuses. .
t\This is the top fuse. there's another 225A fuse in there too.
So should I be using  a 100 or a 150 amp fuse at the top?  And can I use a fuse  rated for 600V?  ...sure would hate to burn up the unit by  scrounging...
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm no electrician. Anytime I have a fuse go out, I replace it with the same fuse that went out.
If I have any questions when it comes to an electrical issue, I always call Woodmizer and TAKE their advice.

This is just something I do....a phone call is free.....when I burn something up on my mill.....well.......calling makes me feel better.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I didn't know that they started using 150amp fuses, but with all the computer stuff on the newer mills, it's to be expected.

I would suggest you replace the blown fuse with the same type and amp that it calls for.

A call to Wood-Mizer will usually have a new fuse to your door within 1-2 days!

On my mill I replaced the 100amp fuse with a 12v, 100amp circut breaker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You did not mention what you were doing when the fuse blew.  Loose/corroded connections will blow fuses.  If it has a contact  strip for hydraulics, make sure that it is clean/shiny and that the button has good tension.  Also do not overlook the ground contact on the bottom rail.

Unless you rewire with a heavier gauge, always replace fuses like for like.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

the top fuse on my 2008 mill had a loose connection from the factory..
this caused arcing and it melted making contact with the lower fuse.
By by H bridge to the tune of 650 bucks.
plus the cost of the new style fuses which I cant remember.
Frustrating,  but this stuff happens.
I would check with WM to see if they recommend the newer style fuse.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

MartyParsons

Depending on the revision of the mill , the early mills used a smaller amp. The Super mills and the 70 mills should have the fuse block up grade. The smaller mills do not have as much amp load on the fuse . You still should inspect the connections on the fuse. If it has a 225 amp fuse replace it with the same. The 100 amp fuse will not fit. On Super mills there are to be two fuses for the hydraulic solenoid. Part number for the 225 P10052
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sparks

Sawmills 1987 to 1996 use a 100amp fuse for the sawmill and 225amd for the hydraulics.
Standard sawmills 1997 to revision K4.01 use 150amp fuse for the sawmill and 225amp for the hydraulics
Standard sawmills K5.00 to current production use 150amp mega fuse for the sawmill and 225amp mega fuse for the hydraulics
Super sawmills 1996 gas use 100amp for the sawmill and 225amp for the hydraulics
Super sawmills 1996 diesel use 150amp for the sawmill and 225amp for the hydraulics
Super sawmills revision G1.00 to J4.00 use 150amp for the sawmill and (2) 225amp for the hydraulics
Super sawmills revision J5.00 to K2.00 use 225amp for the sawmill and (2) 225amp for the hydraulics
Super sawmills revision K3.00 to current revision use 225amp mega fuse for the sawmill and 450amp mega fuse for the hydraulics

Any LT40/50/70 sawmill 1998 and newer can be upgraded to the mega fuse system

Lotta info but I hope it helps clear it up.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

wolf nemeth

Well, I guess that settles it! The name 'Sparks' says it all!
Thanks, eeeryone, for your advice and  info.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Thank You Sponsors!