iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Set Up and Making Saw Dust

Started by wng-2, May 19, 2016, 09:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wng-2

Well I've got the mill set up and have sawed a few logs that I had kicking around from last fall. I found one pine about 20" on the but that was cut down four years ago. I got him out of the woods and onto my mill. I was able to get some 16" boards out of it. Naturally there are worm holes in it. Is there anything else to be concerned about with this lumber? These are the first logs I have ever milled. I am looking for tips and tricks on how to get the most out of my logs. Particularly how start making the first cuts. Thanks very much.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

thecfarm

Good for you. You say pine,white pine?  I would be concerned about the strength of it after sitting outside for 4 years. White pine is not known for its strength, even fresh off the stump.
I don't really know if I do it right or not,but I figure out what I want, 2x material or boards and start sawing. I myself like the looks of a full 2 inch 2X4 of whatever. I built the wife a women cave and used full 2x10 and it looks really good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wng-2

Yes, white pine. Because of the strength issue I made boards vs. 2 X 4's. Would they be good enough for shiplap barn sheathing?
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

thecfarm

Sheathing? I suppose so. Take a board and try to break it. That should tell ya something.  :) If it looks sound,it should be ok.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!