iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Saw

Started by Good Feller, August 29, 2008, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Sit back kiddies ,uncle Al has a true story . Ya know the old goat is 60 years old and has ran chainsaws since he was 14 .

Everybody that has been at it long enough will do several things weather they ever admit it .--Put a chain on backwards ---dump gas in the oil tank or visa versa --stick a saw --drop a tree wrong and look with horror as to what it might hit on the way down .

Trust me ,nobody is perfect . ;)

cheyenne

i was cutting a big maple in my yard a few years back & she had a slight lean towards the inground pool. Well i cabled her off with a come along & proceeded to make make my cuts. You guessed it, notch her out, make back cut, wind change, cable snaps, tree in pool. Dumb Indian
Home of the white buffalo

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2008, 08:08:41 PM
Sit back kiddies ,uncle Al has a true story . Ya know the old goat is 60 years old and has ran chainsaws since he was 14 .

Everybody that has been at it long enough will do several things weather they ever admit it .--Put a chain on backwards ---dump gas in the oil tank or visa versa --stick a saw --drop a tree wrong and look with horror as to what it might hit on the way down .

Trust me ,nobody is perfect . ;)
Al,

I`ve never said that I was perfect, that`s a concoction of Steve and yourself as you attempt to cast aspersions on my credibility, of course I`ve made mistakes, and I`ve made downright stupid  and sometimes even, really incredible mistakes(like getting married  ;)), but I try very hard to never make the same stupid mistake twice.

As to your question about how many times I`ve pinched a pole saw? Not many because I quickly learned to be very conservative in my cutting style with a pole, never even had to think about buying another to rescue the first.  :D

Al, I know that you`re smart enough that it hasn`t taken you half a decade to figure out a lot of things, but the fact that everyone makes mistakes isn`t exactly a revelation and I also doubt that you often make the same mistake twice.

Al_Smith

I wasn't picking on anybody ,just stating a fact .Anybody can mess up .

Fact is I've had this conversation on line with some of the greatest fallers and tree climbing arborists in the world and they all agree .Nothing personal was intended .

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2008, 09:40:53 PM
I wasn't picking on anybody ,just stating a fact .Anybody can mess up .

Fact is I've had this conversation on line with some of the greatest fallers and tree climbing arborists in the world and they all agree .Nothing personal was intended .
So do the greatest fallers and tree climbers in the world recommend having multiple cheap polesaws for self rescue? Inquiring minds want to know?  :D

Good Feller

This post has been bloody,,, but it is now over.  I caved and bought the *DanG stihl HT131 today.  You guys win,,, sorry Al. 
I drove 30 miles one way to get it.  I walked in and looked it over and said "wrap it up,,, I'll take it!"  The dealer then took it to the back room and fired it up like 5 times.  I was wondering,, what's the deal.  He came out and said there was something wrong with the way it idled and that he wouldn't sell it to me!  I was thinking OMG I should have bought the poulan.  He said he'd order another one.  I went home empty handed!  After I got home I called the store and said to cancel my order.  The dealer then said "After you left I got to looking at it and it was something minor with the throttle cable".  I was like I don't know.  Then he said he'd throw in 2 chains, a 6 pack of oil, take 10% off, and meet me half way with it in the morning.  The grand total with tax was $625.94.  Did I get a deal?  I hope it doesn't end up being a lemon.   
Good Feller

beenthere

That's the kind of dealer I'd be real happy with, regardless what brand he sold. He obviously wants you to 1) be happy with a tool that runs right, and 2) interested in having you as a customer. Sounds like a deal to me.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cheyenne

You made a smart educated choice. happy cutting. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Al_Smith

Oh you will do just fine and I hope it gives you years of reliable service .

Just a word of caution ,be careful not to bend the shafting .Most of them get parked for just that very reason .

jokers

Well Goodfeller I`m going to offer you a pat on the back for even considering the better saw instead of just going with the cheapest. I`m sure that the Stihl will serve you well, it`s meant for pro service.

rebocardo

> He came out and said there was something wrong with the way it idled and that he wouldn't
> sell it to me!

Not a bad dealer to have.

FWIW: Whenever I have bought a saw local, even when my Stihl dealer sold Huskies, they would assemble them, fire them up a few times, and test run it before handing the saw over.

You know, now that you mention it, I think I remember that happening to me too. He started a saw, didn't like the way it idled, went and got another one while I waited.

So, I wouldn't say it was unusual for a tech to start a saw, not quite like how it runs, then put it down and pick another for a customer or decide to order another one.

I have done the same sort of thing selling cars. It does not mean the original pick was bad, just something didn't feel right and it needed looking at. So, I would sell a different car and take the original home on a demo/test ride to be sure.

sawmilllawyer

Goodfeller now that's a Good Dealler. Seriously, it is important to have a dealer who will service and maintain your equipment, particularily for the dealer only fixes. Sounds like this guy realy wants your business but does not want to sell you something that is faulty. I say I would do more business with him over the years.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

thecfarm

Sounds like you did good with a dealer.I have no idea about price.Must have a warranty that came with it.If it turns out to be a lemon,which I would doubt it,take it back.That's why a dealer is a big help.But off the shelf you have to set it up yourself and fix any minor problem.Someone I know bought a cheap saw,off the shelf.Used it for 2-3 hours would not run good at all.All set to take it back,but thought he would try a new plug.That was the problem.Plug that came with it was junk.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!