iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HT 101 pole saw help

Started by Hitchcock Woods, August 06, 2015, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitchcock Woods

How do i take off the chain sprocket on a ht 101 pole saw so i can replace it?  There is an obvious flat head screw that is reverse threaded but i cant figure out how to stop the sprocket from rotating so i can remove this and i don't want to accidentally damage the friction clutch by strong arming it. The owners manual says to get the sprocket replaced by a STIHL tech, but i like to try and fix these things myself.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

sawguy21

Is there a hole on the side of the housing that would allow a pin to be inserted to lock the shaft?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hitchcock Woods

Not that i see, we have a Stihl weed eater we do that with to change the heads out.
HT 101 x2
MS 311

beenthere

Impact driver, or put the sprocket in a vise or wood clamp to hold it. ??  What I'd think would work.

Or ask the Stihl dealer when you get the sprocket.

Just some thoughts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

I just hold the sprocket with a wrench. Or maybe it is the washer I hold - one or the other!  ::)

saw_nut

Remove shaft from gear assembly. Insert a shortened T handle wrench (same size as the end of the shaft) into gear assembly. Place in a vise to stop T handle from turning. Remove screw.

Hitchcock Woods

Yea, talked to my local dealer/mechanic.  The technician there said to use channel locks on the sprocket and then unscrew (reverse threaded).  Thanks for the help though!
HT 101 x2
MS 311

Thank You Sponsors!