iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alright Husky Lovers, Eat My Sawdust!

Started by Crazy_Canadian, May 09, 2001, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Canadian

Hi There, I though I would just let the chips fall where they may and stir up some trouble.
 John

Crazy_Canadian

Sorry bout that, I  tried to attach a picture but it didnt work. I will try again.
 John

jokers

Hey John! I knew that must just be a come on line. I knew, way back when, that if you just tried a 372, you would come to the dark side! How`s it feel to be a Husky lover yourself? It takes a little getting used, to coming out as such in some places(forums), but it isn`t all that bad is it. And remember, Stihl may sell more saws overall, but Husky sells more Pro saws. Who do you think has the repeat buyers? Russ ps: Don`t forget the Husky Hootenanny at Booneville August 17,18,+19 for all members of the Husky Lovers Club who are currently in good standing.

Jeff

Hey you guys, If I create a special section for chainsaws on the forum, will you all help keep it going?  We have forestry, and sawmilling, makes sense to have a chainsaw section if you guys think we can get enough interest.( I will be needing a moderator for it if we do, so if someone is interested in that, send me an email or private message and let me know).

I can have a saw section as soon as I get some feed back!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gordon

Something tells me I could put a couple of posts into a chainsaw section. Also bet just like every other section of the forum, I'll come out learning something as well.

Gordon

Gordon

Just saw a poll and Husky won with more votes than Stihl. But it was a very close race.

Yesterday I went over to a friends house to drop a tree in his back yard. He just had a large deck build and gum balls were falling on the deck, so the tree had to go. He dropped one tree himself but was afraid to drop the second tree. But he told me from what he has seen me do in the past it would be an easy drop.

Well I size up the tree and now I see why he didn't want to drop it himself. It was limb heavy toward the deck and house, also with a nice lean. So I figure I'll chunk it down a bit first before dropping it. I go to the truck and get my belt spurs and climbing line, but there is one problem. My climbing saw is at my house 30 miles away.

So here I go up the tree and pull up my 272 husky. That is a saw not meant for climbing but after a couple of hours of limbing and roping the tree was ready to be dropped. To think people pay money to join a health spa. My arms were pumped after that fun.

The tree was felled with ease and cut up with no problems. After we were finished I asked why he didn't get me to come over before the deck was built. That way I could have just dropped the limbs instead of roping them all down. His reply was never even thought about it until the deck was built within two feet of the tree. Makes you wonder. Some people have more money the sense.

Gordon

Tom

Gordon,

It sounds like a Sweet Gum. (gumballs)  If so, he could have had some pretty cabinet wood.  When they put you in a spot that you can't get it down in lengths greater than 8 ft., it's hard to find a portable mill that can/will cut it.

If you know some bowl turners and the wood is still available,  you could make someone real happy.

Gordon

Tom, your right it was gum. My price was to drop the tree and he kept the wood. I only charged him $200.00 for dropping the tree. So he made out like a champ. It took all afternoon to get it all down safely. If you could have seen where this tree was in relation to the deck. It still has me shaking my head.

The tree was crooked and had a ton of limbs. Pretty much junk. But firewood to him. You could have sawn some good out of the tree if I could have dropped it in one shot.

When I made my backcut I was actually under the deck. But I can say this. It was one whopper of a deck. The thing was huge.

Gordon

Tom

Gordon,

I have to admire a climber.  I have two friends who do this work and sometimes I have to go get a drink of water to keep from watching.

I have a set of spurs and used to climb on my place, more for the fun of it than anything.  These guys have been doing it all their lives.  one is 62 and the other is 56.  They climb like monkeys and put limbs and trunk in places that they shouldn't fit.

The only way I know that someone can learn that skill is to watch and apprentice.  There are no classes at the University on it.  "BS in Tree climbing"
 :D

I keep a list of Turners in my truck so that I can tell people about them.  Many will just give a turner the wood if he can use it.  Sometimes they are surprised by a bowl 10 or 12 months later.

It sure would be interesting if you climbers would describe how you rope a limb or block now and again on the site.  It would make good reading.  

Gordon

Now I climb only when I have to. The person that taught me how to climb is a human fly when it comes to climbing. He has forgotten more about climbing than I know. Boy he is something to watch. He loves to free climb just to say he did it.

I don't do a whole bunch of removals in yards. Don't have time to. But the money can be real good. Just don't like the hassle that goes along with it I guess. Also the wife watched me climb a couple of times and that was enough for her. She doesn't like me climbing one bit. So rather than get my ear bent I only climb once in a while.

Sure can be fun though.
Felt good to put the spurs on
Gordon

Gordon

One thing I really dislike about dropping trees in yards are the hidden objects that you find with your saw chain. Was doing a tree a few days ago zipping right through it and buzzzzzz. Pulled the saw out but it was too late, tore up a 24 inch chain pretty darn good. Once I got the wedge out of the front I could see the barbed wire and also the sixteen penny nails.

Cut through the barbed wire ok but those sixteen penny nails put the hurtin on the chain. But I got the tree dropped and went on my way.

Gordon

Jeff

I was just tellin woodtick the other day that I hit something new in a log with the headsaw. A big steel, door hinge. I trimed one side right off. It was buryed deep in an aspen log.

Kevin

I was wondering where that went !  :-/

Jeff, do you replace the cutting teeth when that happens or just keep on a saw`n?

Jeff

When you hit somethin like that, you can't keep sawing! It took out all 52 teeth and 1 shank (holder). Teeth run almost a buck a piece, and I think a holder is about 5 to 8. can't remember

Kevin

Jeff,
I didn`t think those things were still in existance, does it run on steam or do use a water wheel to drive it?  :D
Do you dream of owning a band mill?

Jeff

Heck no, I dream of a cabin up north and some crazy canadian to cut my lumber for me with a chainsaw.

Jeff

Kevin

We`re a little off topic here but when is your busy season and where does the lumber go?

Jeff

Our grade aspen had been going to iron mountain, but the last load went to minnisota. Our Low grade goes mostly down to the state line. Our Hardwood goes all over but mostly to auto related industry down state. The higher grade hardwoods go to whoevers payin the best.

Here are some of the places I know lumber I sawed went, or products that eventually are made from lumber I have sawn.

Tops Baseball cards
Hall mark cards
Michigan unfinished furniture
cribbing used to build the new Coamerica park for the detroit pussycats
several grandrapids furniture makers
pallots that were shipped to japan so they could ship back air conditioners and so on and so on...

L. Wakefield

Getting back to the topic of metal in the wood- I have been told that one can use a metal detector to screen for (duh, metal, I guess)- before sawing. Do any of you 'pros' have words to say about this- does it work, how deep can it detect, what is a good type to get, etc etc. Reason I ask- we felled a beeyootiful cherry log but I was stalled out everytime I wanted to do something about it- 'It might have metal in it. The sawyer will charge you the price of the blade if it messes up'. So there it lays. i tried to borrow a metal detector, but inertia got me. What say ye?    LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

Hey LW,  

I have a metal detector that I purchased for entertainment in the middle 1980's.  It is a Garrett master hunter 7 and cost me too much money for my budget then. I think it was 5 or 6 hundred dollars.

White is a good manufacturer and makes a line of detectors for about $150 to 250 dollars that the guys around here are using for metal in logs.

Expect a detector to find a 16d nail in 6 inches of wood.  You will find smaller stuff deeper and miss bigger stuff shallower but that is a pretty good average.  Actually the wood or dirt or whatever is invisible to the the detector for the most part.  When you are shopping for one, test it on a quarter and distance throught the air it detects will approximate the depth it will detect in most mediums.

I know it sounds like a lot of money but you will have the best time of your life with it.  I take mine to jobs and spend lunch and off hours looking around old house sites and fields where I work.  People have lived almost everywhere and it's amazing what you canfind.  

My favorite treasures are old axes, hammers, nails, bridle hardware, wagon parts and anystuff like that touched by someone 150 or 200 years ago.

You can find MONEY too.  Look on school grounds, parks or on the wayside when you are on a trip in a "foreign" state.

You need to get one....don't just consider tramp metal in logs when you do.

Oh, I have also found nails in the surface of logs only because my detector was pointing at them.  It never went off.  A fellow tried to tell me that the density of some wet wood is similar to metal and won't trip the detector.  (?) I don't know 'bout that.

Jeff

Some of the most damaging foreign objects simply cannot be detected with a metal detector. Ceramic, Glass and Stone, and believe me it all gets in there.

I still have one of the most unique objects hit that I know of that did not damage the saw. I was sawing along, and all of the sudden there was pieces of rubber band all over. I had hit a golf ball. Don't ask, I have no Idea.

L. Wakefield

Aah- but it does give one to think, doesn't it?? :D :D :D
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

:D :D
Dad was there. The folks moved down to sunnier climes beside a golf course and he's been toying with the idea of nailing golf balls to the crotches of a few trees just to see the golfers react to their shots.
Had a customer change their mind about a window size last year. I cut down the length of a 10" lag bolt and across 2 more. The air was turning blue. :'(

Corley5

I sawed some white cedar last weekend for a friend and in one of the butt logs, which happened to be the nicest one he had, were three 16 penny spikes.  The tree came from the middle of a 40 acre swamp, no houses for miles, no signs of fences or deer blinds, and the nails were overgrown by a couple inches.  Upon further inspection there were also nails a 1/4 of the way around the log.  Who knows how or why they were there but it screwed up sawing for a while and made a nice log into kindling.  A metal detector would have saved a lot of time but considering where the logs came from I may not have checked for hardware anyway.
   :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!