iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

General Saw Troubleshooting

Started by SeaPickle, September 28, 2018, 11:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaPickle

Hello everyone!
I am a new member to the forum here, but have seen a lot of questions about saws going unanswered or "incorrectly" answered (everyone has their own approach to benching and proper tooth angle profiles and stellite vs swedge for bands and carbide for rounds etc........................)
My history: I am the head saw filer at a softwood mill. I am responsible for the accuracy and surface quality of every saw that leaves the shop. Round saws are benched daily for tension and MOST IMPORTANTLY LEVEL! A dished saw is a garbage saw! We run 4  band mills and 2 edgers. 2X 7' OD wheel and 2x 5' OD wheel band mills.
Band mills are Vertical, one runs 12"W X 41.5"L X 2" pitch, 7/8" gullet depth with 1/64 back in 4 Ft. The other runs a straight 40'L X 10"W X by same tooth specs. Resew Runs a 1.75 tooth pitch X 7" W band. 1/8 width tire lines all around, and Stellite tips set to 0.180 (head rigs) or 0.130 (resaws) kerf and Q4 cams on an Armstrong # 6. 0.007 crowned wheels (as per the standard).The second runs the same pitch, cams, gullet depth, tip, back, tension, and crown, except its only 40' long. 7" wide Resaws run 1.75 tooth pitch, stellite tipped, same 1/8 band width tire lines blah blah blah different kerf and cams and 0.005" crown on band mill wheels.
Round saws are 26" OD and 24" OD. stellite and carbide. All leveling, tensioning, tipping, top/face grinding and profile grinding is done in house.
PLEASE hit me with your band/roundsaw problems. If I can help, I will!!!!

mike_belben

Nice of you to offer.  Welcome aboard
Praise The Lord

SeaPickle

Southside

Welcome to the Forum SeaPickle.  Where are you located?  That sounds like a serious operation there.  How many feet is sawn in day? Does the mill make finished products or all rough sawn / green lumber?  Just for comparison what tension / speed / set do your bands run at?    If you have any I would love to see photos - if nothing else just for the "WOW" factor.  

Thanks and hope to hear more.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

CCCLLC

How much guide pressure do you run on the 5'&7' bandmills? Guessing 7/16" .

SawyerTed

Welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you will be worth your weight in gold especially to the guys that sharpen their own blades!

I, too, am interested in the products the mill produces.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SeaPickle

Hello all and thank you for the questions!
1: we do about 95 mbf/day (grade cutting)
2: we sell rough and planed dimensioned products.
3: tension is a tricky question as it's defined here... my blades run a 45' radius tension with a little light at the bottom. The bandmills run around 15,000 lbs of strain. 1/8 width of blade tire lines.
"Feed of bands", do you mean feed speed or or rotation of wheels?
4: guide pressure we run is  significantly more than industry standard at 1-3/8". Looking to reduce soon.
5: products include mostly 2". 2x8 2x6 2x4 mostly. Both rough and planed. But whatever is in demand and is of most value we will shoot for.

I'll try and post some pics here.
Keep em coming guys thank you

Southside

That is significant for sure.  Where are you guys located?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SeaPickle

SeaPickle

Hello all,
A recent tour attendee was nice enough to provide a youtube video of his tour of the mill. The link is below. If anyone is in the area, and would also like a tour, I would be happy to show them around.

Big Creek Sawmill Part 1 - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!