iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throw line

Started by John_Haylow, January 23, 2009, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I was wondering what throw lines you guys are using? We were getting a good line at work but can't seem to fine it any longer. It was yellow with a green tracer in it. It seemed to have a good memory and did not get tangled up so bad.

We have tried the Zing it but did not like it.

I see Baileys has some new makes out and were thinking of trying some.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Kevin

Zing It has a green tracer.

John_Haylow

Hi Kevin.
I wonder if I could ask you to elaborate a little more on the subject? The line in your photo looks like the line we used to use and were happy with. The Zing it we last tried  had came in a canister and was quit a bit smaller in diameter and seemed to be to thin. Do they make it in different thicknesses?

What product do you find the best? Is that a Weaver throw weight you are using in your photo?

Thanks
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

DonT

I am using the 1.75 zing it.It came in a little plastic cannister.In the vermeer catoulog they list 1.75 diameter and 2.2 available in yellow or orande.I have also tried the econo lines and although they worked i was not as happy with them as i am with the zing-it.Where do you get the zing it with the tracer in it?   DonT

Kevin

I don't know if it's still being made but Sherrill is still advertising it on their web site.
A phone call to Sherrill or Samson would most likely answer the question.
I have used slick line and zing it.
I use two different sizes, one for long shots with the big shot for setting lines and a heavier line for pulling snags.
The bag in the picture is a Sherrill bag but it's also their picture, I would have posted the link but their site isn't set up that way.

chevytaHOE5674

IIRC I'm using 1.75 Zing-it. It throws good and doesn't tangle as bad as other stuff I've used.

Captain

I like Slick Line.  I change my weights for different heights.

Captain

gunman63

Maybe its my part of the sticks, or maybe what i do, but what the heck is a throw line used for thanks.

chevytaHOE5674

Used for setting ropes high in trees. Its an Arborist tool.

urbanlumberinc

I use paracord - less than half the price as zing and the like, and works just as well.

ARKANSAWYER

I use my fishing arrow with 80lb spider wire on a Zebco 404 reel.  Just notch it in the recurve and shoot.  Use gloves when pulling the line back as that stuff will cut your fingers off.
ARKANSAWYER

rebocardo

I have the thin line stuff and do not like it that much. I use 1/4" (7 mm. I guess) line mostly with 12 to 16 oz. weights. The best thick line I did get at Bailey's though I forget the name.

Kevin

The thin stuff is better with the big shot, lighter line and smaller weights for higher throws.

DanG

What is the purpose of the green tracer in that cord?

I just use a nylon cord with a snap hook on the end, mostly.  For the high stuff, I use a surf fishing rod with 30lb line and a lead weight.  I don't do enough of this stuff to get good at it, or to justify buying those fancy things.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

The tracer is used to ID the cordage.

rebocardo

> lighter line and smaller weights for higher throws

I have found with the 8 foot bigshot, 16 oz bag, and 1/4" line I can usually get a bag 100+ feet into a tree and actually have the bag come down to the ground.  Smaller bags always seem to get stuck 1/2 down to the ground.

About the only place I use lighter line is for my tree climber so he can throw a bag farther out into a limb crotch that needs roping. I have not used my 10oz bag in a long time.

woodmills1

I just got this combo of line weight and bag from ben meadows, seemed like a good deal.

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/throw+line/22295/146875/?isredirect=true
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin

Looks good millsy.
Tie a slip knot two to three feet from the bag and it will give you better control when throwing it.
It will pull out when you pull the bag back.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

rebocardo

After working with my new line today, I can say orange is probably not the best color choice. Very hard to find looking towards the sun, blue and yellow are probably better colors.

wconklin

if you're having trouble with the smaller line in terms of throwing it, tie a double slip knot at the point where you grip it.  This gives you something more to hang on to.  I throw a 10oz bag with the small zing-it line.

Magicman

Glad to see you post, wconkin.  Welcome to FF..... 8)

What kind of sawmill to you have?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WAGZ

I 've been using the "Zing It" with 12 oz. bag most of the Summer and into the fall, and I've had good luck with it!! Last time I was down the "Vermeer" I bought some line from "New England Cordage" haven't tried it enough to know yet........I've been finding I can get accurate and consistant with the old "granny toss" any of the other "fancy" ways seem to get me into a tangled mess........but I guess if you're gettin paid by the hour it works out ok...........lol
I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

Thank You Sponsors!