iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finnished the recovery of 42" white oak pics of it quartered

Started by GAmillworker, July 19, 2013, 08:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

This is a tree I have driven by for ten years and drueled over.  It was a perfectly health white oak tree, however all the wind and rain did her in. We removed the upper sections today which included two vertical limbs that are 30+" each.  The root ball is sticking out of the ground at least 12' by 16' wide.  The butt is 54" 8' to first limb and another 8' to the top of crotch which is over 60" wide.

Thank the Lord for second chances

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

WDH

The pictures that you sent me were incredible.  How do you plan to break down that monster?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAmillworker

The new 60" saw will get tested to its limits and beyond.

whiskers

That's some blow down you've got there. A great place to video when that root ball flops back in place. Learning about the danger would benefit anyone with children, dogs or nosy neighbors....
many irons in the fire.........

Nomad

That main trunk is going to be a real bear to handle.  I hope you take pictures of your progress.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Autocar

Man alive make sure know one is standing behind that root ball when you cut it off, not trying to be smart just would never forgive myself if I didn't give a heads up on how dangerous they are when they flop back into the hole.
Bill

clww

I did a giant willow oak that size a few years ago that had blown over during a 2009 coastal nor'easter. That one was 86" wide at the base, and 62" at the first crotch, 13' up. That root ball did not flop over back into it's hole, but came back the other way, upside down. If it were my project, i would secure lines to it on both sides until you can determine which way it will go.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

GAmillworker

Thank You all for the advice on the root ball.  I will give it a lot more thought on Monday.  I may try to stand it back up using what leverage I have left in the tree.

WDH

The one like that that (Tom) I sawed off recently was very scary.  An excavator was working nearby, and I had him hold the root ball with the bucket to secure it and keep it from falling over onto me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

GAmillworker, Be very aware when you go to cut the root ball!9 times out of 10 they will fall back into the hole that they came from. And with the size of that monster you will not get a second chance if you are in the wrong place. Be very careful on this cut,I would hate to see someone hurt. I would cut 1/3 from the bottom up and then finish it from the top down to avoid splitting the log. Have a couple of wedges on hand if the top cut starts closing when you are in the kerf. Please be careful and aware of all that is going to happen. My bet is that it will fall back and anything or anybody in its way will not survive. Tim

thecfarm

Big tree,big rootball!!!! Please be careful. I don't know if I would even tackle something that big with out some equipment help like WDH had. You just never know what could happen. there is ALOT of weight there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Yes have a good plan that includes a thorough safety analysis of the project.
~Ron

GAmillworker

A correction on butt size 42" NOT 54".  I guess I was using my fishing tape measure when I looked at it the first time. It is 59 1/2" across the crotch.   After the suggestions over the weekend I decided to leave log 17' 6".  very glad I did.  Once we jacked tree up to drive truck under it we had just enough weight in the log to balance that huge root ball.  We chained it to the bed and cut the root ball loose.  If someone will tell me how to load a video, I have a short clip of final cut and root ball falling.

beenthere

Load your video on Youtube, and then copy the Youtube URL in your post.

I see the rootball went back, and that you look to have some solid wood in that butt log. Nice job.

Now why a second thread started ?? ??

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That looks like very nice wood from the end grain shot. 

GAmillworker

GAmillworker

beenthere

Can't beat that for some great wood in that log. And quite a saw to do the cutting too. 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

Nice job! Root balls like that will get your attention in a big way when they go back!! Tim

dboyt

Looks like around 1,100 board feet in the butt log.  That's a serious tree.  Will you be quarter sawing as much as you can?  You got some valuable experience, and it looks like all your planning paid off.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

GAmillworker

Yes we will quarter saw as much as possible.  I will be slabbing the crotch section.

Thank You Sponsors!