iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bucket truck question

Started by slider, December 22, 2014, 09:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

First I would like to say hello to those on this side of the forum.I don't get over on this section often but I do enjoy the post here.I tend to stay over on the saw milling side.
Myself and a friend are thinking about expanding our operation further.I have the equipment to pickup urban trees that are already down but due to the cost of insurance I will not take down trees on someones property.We are considering purchasing insurance and adding a bucket truck to our operation.This is not just a wild idea.We have done the research and there is some  opportunity here.We are not looking to put someone else out of business just expand on what we already have.my question is what size would you consider ? I was thinking 65 foot material handler.any suggestions .Before I close let me say that we are not completely green.We have been dropping rural trees for quiet some time but not in a city where liability was an issue .We are looking to be safe and do this right if we go forward with this.thanks al
al glenn

North River Energy

I had on extended loan an older Tel-Elect for some tree and property work.  Total reach was around 40-45 feet.
The lift was mounted to the center of the utility bed on an International S1800(might have been a 1700?)
Quite often the bucket was on the 'wrong side' of the boom, and the stick did not go 'over center' on the boom hinge.  Consequently, I'd often run out of reach and need to move the truck.

Then again, I'm not an arborist, and lack some of the necessary skills for planning out the work.

If I was investing real money in a bucket, I'd want a full-range over center hinge, short wheelbase, four stabilizers, tail mount, and a small diesel pony motor to run the pump.  And also the material handling capacity, if for no other reason than the safety factor.

I'd think the longer the boom the better, so long as there is enough 'swing clearance' at your intended work sites.

If you are looking at used stuff, some of the cable linkage booms are either totally obsolete, or the parts are priced so as to prevent your further use of that particular design.

beenthere

Quotesay hello to those on this side of the forum.

Never thought of the Forestry Forum as having "sides" but only of it as being one of many interesting discussions going on at the same time. Wouldn't miss them for anything.   ;D

Hope you find good answers for your bucket truck search.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

Perhaps I worded that wrong Beenthere.I remember when WDH asked a question once in the chainsaw section and they were ribbing him about having took so long to find them.It was funny.I could go to another form but this is where I feel the most comfortable.You know,if you ask a dumb question they don't burn you too bad on here.
al glenn

thecfarm

slider,We knew what you meant.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

For sure, no harm, no foul there slider. Like the different "sides", and discovering another "side".  ;D

I just thought it was interesting comment.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

No problem Beenthere the only foul here is this nasty weather.Man this cold rain is a bummer.
al glenn

brendonv

Problem wit material handlers is they don't over center. Once you use an over center its hard to imagine not using it. Especially with trees. 

I have an alc 60' rear mount.  Heck of a truck when im not climbing 12 times out of the year.  :D

Anything smaller than 55' rear mounted is a waste of money imo. Center mounts work but a 60' center mount quickly turns short when you pull up to a tree. You lose some height as there is 8-10' of truck cab between you and tree.

Good luck. Bucket trucks don't make you a tree service over night. Understanding tree species, rigging, rope knots, is extremely important working 60' up.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Mooseherder

Have you considered a Trailer mounted man lift you could pull behind a pickup instead?
Seems it would be less expensive to operate over a Truck mounted lift on fuel and insurance.
It might even get you into tighter spots for backyards. I see them being pulled around and it looks like a reasonable way to go. 
You can even rent them for trial. :)

timberlinetree

We switched from a bucket truck to a trailer mount for many different reasons and have been happy. 

Nice truck brendonv! Like mooseherder said you can rent them. Be careful of the old booms like nre said especially the old sky workers that have not updated! Good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

slider

Brandonv good advice and well received on this end
Mooseherder we will consider one.
Timberline that is a nice unit.
al glenn

Ron Scott

Some tree service companies that I know seem to be very happy with their trailer mounted units, especially for getting into and onto client yards, lawns, etc. I've also posted such a unit working in my yard on one of the threads on here this past summer.
~Ron

timberlinetree

Forgot to mention that one down fall about our lift is that it is not insulated ( from electricity).
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

slider

We went forward with our plan to expand our operation .JMiller purchased a nice older bucket truck  to add to what we already have.It's a 67 ft altec rear mount.We have insurance and bonding and most of our saftey equipment.
We did our first job this weekend which was a big pecan limb hanging over a house.It was not exactly what we were looking for right out of the shoot but we took our time and roped most of it down and yes it was a challenge but things came out well.

al glenn

North River Energy

Looks sharp.  Got any more photos?
Which engine/transmission combo?

brendonv

Cool!  Good luck. Id take a fire axe to that rear deck overhang.  8)

www.VorioTree.com

North River Energy

^That's funny.  Was thinking the exact same thing.

brendonv

Ha. Thats what i love about my truck. Any further back the turret would be on the bumper.   Id def be taking out the length of the bucket from that truck. To the stair upright.

www.VorioTree.com

North River Energy

I take it  CTDOT has no concern about the 'unguarded' bucket overhang?

Bought an older boom truck last month, could use surgery on the hindquarters.

Did you ever hear anything back on that Garrett skidder in western Mass?

brendonv

No problems with my truck.  Aerial lift of CT has built them for years this way.  I believe in ct your allowed a 4' overhang unmarked.

No did not hear.  There was even craiglist ads asking the guy to call them. Didn't need it and glad nothing panned out.  8)

www.VorioTree.com

Magicman

Congrats on the bucket truck.  Altec makes good stuff.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jmiller

Its a 429 4v with a 5 speed split axle an Chelsea PTO,  the ole girl only has about 11,000 miles on it.  Hope it does us well.
Jason Miller

North River Energy

^Thanks.
Sounds like it the truck has a lot of life left in it. 
That's a lot of motor to spin a hydraulic pump though...

jmiller

Agreed, I would like to run across a diesel pony motor and swap over, but for now we are glad gas is cheap!
Jason Miller

North River Energy

^'Zactly. 
The one I bought has a 477 4v...

Thank You Sponsors!