iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow What A Trip

Started by Kevin_H., July 24, 2006, 10:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Well on sunday the 23rd we got home from what turned out to be a very long 10 day trip to colorado, just under 3000 miles, two blown out tires and a split valve stem.
But we had 13 in the group and a good time was had by all.

I though I would share a few pics, lots were taken, what follows is just a smatering.  ;D

Here is a pic of some of the crew, sitting on the deck of the first condo. this was in Durango, surrounded by mountains and cool enough in the evening that you could use long pants.

Here is a pic of a small fire in mesa verde national forest, later we saw alot more smoke but could not make it back to get another pic. it looked to have grown in size.

Here is a pic of the whole family, each of us in a different state at the 4 corners monument.
I never thought that stephen and trevor would be so far from us at such a young age.  :D

Now in woodland park, the deer would come right up to the house to graze on the grass. people would drive by like it was an every day thing to see deer walking down the side walk.

Here is a pic of stephen braving the weather on top of pikes peak.

thats it for now, if you have never been you should go, this was our 2nd trip out there and I am sure we will go again.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bro. Noble

I wanna see the rest 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

I was on Pikes Peak in 1981 and was snowbound until they could get a snowplow out of the garage to get us all down.  It was July!

I don't remember that sign but I do remember a bunch of younger fellows throwing snowballs.  I wonder if one of them was Stephen?  ;D

asy

What Fantsatic photos! Thanks for sharing them.

How amazing is that 4 corners monument???!!! You can see the New Mexico and Arizona names, IF I'm correct the other two states are Utah and Colorado??? 

That's so cool!

It seems to be the only place that 4 different states meet, am I right?

More photos are always good!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Burlkraft

Kevin,

Looks like ya had a great time.........

More pics...Please ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ellmoe

Hey Kevin,
   I'm headed to Colorado/Wyoming/Montana Friday. Taking my two boys (22 & 15). How was the weather in the mountains? I know it's been hot out there, but that's subject to quick changes. We're packing tomorrow, trying to decide what all to take.

Thanks,
               Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Kevin_H.

Hey Mark,

the weather was great, only time it was hot was at 4 corners, other than that it was pleasant during the day and cool at nite. there were a couple of nites that I used a blanket while sitting outside on the deck.

Driving though the mountains provided lots of things to look at, slow going at times with a 29' motor home, at one part of the journey the highway ran beside a small river for a couple of miles very cool to see people standing in the river fishing.

I will work on opt. some more of the pics, still trying to get caught up and a little head so we can get to the pig roast.

Asy, the four corners monument was a little out of the way but it's one of those things ya just gotta do.

Tom we took the cog railway up to the peak, I wasnt up to trying to drive the motor home, not after the tire trouble we had been having.  :o
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

asy

Quote from: Kevin_H. on July 26, 2006, 11:25:06 PM
Asy, the four corners monument was a little out of the way but it's one of those things ya just gotta do.

Yeah, looks like one of those things to add to my "stuff to see when I ever get to the USA" list...

Must admit, my list of stuff to see does include things like this, because I'd rather look at beauty than cities, on the whole.

ellmoe

Kevin,

Thanks for the info.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

treecyclers

You were in Four Corners and didn't stop by my place?
It's only a couple hours Southwest of Mesa Verde and Four Corners to my place...
Perhaps I failed to mention my open door policy.
If I'm home, the door's open.
If I know you're coming, the door's open.
The coffee's always hot, the beer's always cold, the steaks are always thick, and the conversation is always interesting!
And, when you have room, expect to take a few choice boards with you when you head home!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

asy

Carefull SuperDave!

There's others here who'll take ya up on that! Me for one!! (Except for the boards, customs wouldn't be amused).

One day...  Oooone day...

Kevin_H.

Hey super dave,

With 14 in our group we did not stop anywhere we did haft to, kinda like hearding sheep... :D

do you know anymore info about the fire in mesa verde?

SwampDonkey

That's a great trip. I'm gonna make it through those parts some day. I just hope I have a few spare SD cards and batteries. ;D Cousins are coming this way this year (perdy near the whole western tribe), so it put a snub in going west this summer.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treecyclers

Quote from: Kevin_H. on July 27, 2006, 04:55:01 PM
With 14 in our group we did not stop anywhere we did haft to, kinda like hearding sheep... :D
do you know anymore info about the fire in mesa verde?
Herding sheep is easier than herding cats.
Mesa Verde burned pretty good, but was contained pretty fast as when the forest service wants something out to protect something important, they get it done.
The slurry bombers were flying sorties every 20 minutes out of my airport, and I counted 6 planes making bombing runs.

Well, back to painting the old abode....tired of the red koolaid-barfy looking color.....with pink trim.
What was the PO thinking??????????????????????????????
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Kevin_H.

thanks for the update,

I would have liked to seen the planes in action.

Kevin_H.

Ok here are a few more pics

This is a pic from the top of pikes peak, the rain looks really cool from this high up, straight over the rocks in front of me is a 4000' vertical drop.  :o

Here is a pic of one of the trains, this is a narrow gauge RR that takes ya on a tour of some of the old gold mines in the cripple creek.

this is another pic from the deck of the condo in durango...Kinda reminds me of Happy Little Trees

asy

OK.

EVERYONE STOP POSTING PHOTOS.

Sorry, but it's gotta be done.

Stop it, coz it's making me REALLY want to come visit the USA and I am broke. Stone cold broke.

Burlkraft

We could maybe have a "Bring Asy To The States" benefit auction....... ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

How much she worth?  ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treecyclers

Ok then, here's some drool fuel to keep you going until the next time you can roll out my way.
I see these bubbas all the time, and even yesterday we had a flight of 2 F16's out of Luke buzz us, aggravating the moldy oldies around the golf course next door to the runways.

One of the C130 Slurry Bombers taxiing for take off

Army Blackhawk stopping for gas and lunch in the cafe

F18 Hornet that stopped by the last year's airshow. Their takeoff was spectacular! Full burner, soft field takeoff (that's when they go parallel to the ground to pick up speed fast, then yank back on the stick and go vertical!)

SD

SwampDonkey

My brother goes nutz over air shows. He was to one 10 years ago with a cousin who had his own plane and flew down. Nice pictures treecyclers. In one of my job I got taxied in Hughes 500's (angry egg), Long Rangers, Twin and single Otters, and Beavers. All pretty old machines (refurbished) especially the fixed wings from the 40's. When I read the manufacturers lable in the cargo compartment one day I says to myself, I hope you hold together in the wind, rain and fog of Rupertland. I was on some pretty violent trips. ;D :D

Burlkraft

I don't know....How much does it cost ta bring an Asy ta da states ??? ???

I believe that I have enough tequila ta keep her goin' while she's here :D :D :D

treecyclers

Instead of hijacking htis thread for airplane stuff, and the bunch of crazy pix I have of planes (one of hte benefits of being the head of Federal Security at the local Airport), if there's sufficient interest in seeing more airplane photos, IM me direct, and I'll start a new thread for that.
SD

SwampDonkey

Make a new thread if you wish. Some of us too shy will likely add some of our own or link them from our galleries. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!