iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

military 6x6 5ton

Started by coxy, February 20, 2020, 07:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

can anyone tell me why  90% of them are convertibles and not hard tops and if you can get hard tops for them and where thanks 

bwstout

the soft tops were use for mounting a 50cal the hard tops were not designed for weapons to be mounted. after the first gulf war we fitted them with a armor cab, then converted them back to soft top and hard tops then army sold the fleet out. You might try a surplus supplier. As for as I know they are no longer in production. 

home built mill

Bruno of NH

You can get hard tops
Google Eastern surplus in Pa.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Don P

I've looked at getting one, parts availability and cost is my concern ???.

bwstout

if you can find one with a rebuild sticker on the inside of the door from RRAD it might be a new we rebuilt several hundred from 2008 to 2010 the old Cummins engine is a tuff one in these old truck running gear is tuff also. 
home built mill

coxy

its an 81 general 250 cummins  thanks for the info I thought thats what the soft tops was for 

bwstout

home built mill

D6c

I have an '81 M931 5 ton truck tractor I use to pull a lowboy with dozer.  It has a hardtop but most I see are canvas.
The 250 Cummins is pretty gutless... I might recommend the later models that have the 400 Cummins with turbo.
They're all pretty low speed.  No way I'd ever put mine on an interstate.

mike_belben

The 8.3liter 6CTA is a better engine common to 5tons imo. Good motor with a good pump. 
Praise The Lord

Jyoungusa

To answer your original question most 2.5/5ton trucks are soft top in order to facilitate being able to reduce the overall height of the truck for transportation by ship, train, truck or aircraft.  Ones that have hardtops generally were rebuilds.  Current trucks are all hardtops/armored cabs

Iwawoodwork

Our road district purchased a duce and half for snow plowing, it came with no top so I welded up a top frame out of thin 1x2 in tubing. was pretty easy due to the straight lines of the truck cab. As I  recall it took me a couple of days to measure , cut fit and mig weld it  together on top of the truck, then we got a sheet metal guy to bend galvanized tin to fit the from and pop rivet/ screw  it on the frame. I think we had a couple hundred in the top.

charles mann

Last time i checked, there was a guy selling 1, and i think it was in arizona. But he travels between az, to ks and 1 more state in the ks area. He was asking 1500 for it. Iv got an entire spare truck for parts. Only thing iv robbed so for is the level winder for the front winch. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

mike_belben

I have a friend in cookeville TN in the mil truck parts business.  From hummers to 5tons, and tires by the container load.  He has a DRMO contract.  Pm me for his cell. 
Praise The Lord

charles mann

@coxy 

you still looking for a hard top for your 5 ton? evidently the top on the military forum is still for sale. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!