iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boot recommendations?

Started by DMcCoy, March 09, 2020, 03:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

I'm watching my common name brand boots de-laminate from their sole. I'm very frustrated.
Ankle height boot, mud, dirt, sawdust, usual stuff.
Any recommendations?

Southside

Sketchers - in the $50 ish range from Sierra Trading Post or Overstock. I get about 6 months out of a pair, composite safety toe and shank, and they get abused, mud, manure, you name it.  They always break down at the same spot on my left foot where the sole meets the upper, but ALL my foot wear fails  there as I have a bit of a gimp to my walk, so without that added stress they would last longer as the right ones are still good to go. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I always say Viking boots, those orange loggers ones. If I am outside working, I have them on. Even when I plant the garden. I know some can't wear rubber.  I get 3-4 years out of them. One reason I like them, I can be in wet grass first thing in the morning than in the bog the afternoon and my feet are dry. Winter time I have them on too. I put some miles on in a day. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

DM,

Lots of good boot makers in the PNW
Get a quality boot that can be rebuilt/resoled
they're worth it IMHO.

D

Wudman

American made Red Wings for me.  Some are made oversees, but the American ones still hang in there for me.  My current pair is on their last leg after about 4 years of hard everyday wear.  The insides have worn out.  My last pair made it almost 7 until the soles were worn completely out on one side.  They were about $220 for the last pair I bought.  I was wearing Rockies before that, but they went to pot when production was shipped overseas.  Just my two cents.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mills

Second the Red Wings. Spent thirty-nine years of high mileage rugged factory life, and I can attest that nothing came close to them. Some brands may be slightly more comfortable, but wouldn't hold up, and others may hold up a little better, but you walked around like the Frankenstein monster.  :D

krusty

I am all for the Viking chainsaw boots. Spent 5 summers planting trees in them and will wear them any time I need to be dry and durable. Have 2 pairs, one regular sole and one with caulks for winter work. It gets icy in my area.

Skeans1

Wesco, Whites, Nick's, and there's a few others out here do they cost a few dollars yes but they're worth it everyday.

BargeMonkey

The American made chippewas lasted me about 18 months, the Georgia boots might go a yr. 

DMcCoy

I have been looking into your recommendations.  My Dad wore Wesco boots.  I believe he got many, many years out of each pair.  Paying $90-140 for off the shelf boots that fail so quickly is getting old.  Ordering online makes me nervous for something this expensive/important not knowing the size accuracy of what I currently wear.  Looks like I will pony up the $$.
Thanks!

Skeans1

@DMcCoy 
Look into have a set custom fit to your foot it's well worth it then you know for sure they'll fit your foot.

dgdrls

Wesco has a system where you take numerous measurements of your foot,
and send them the data, no guessing on size.
They also have a discounted section

Your profile info has you in NW OR.  same neighborhood as Wesco, 

D

Skeans1

Quote from: dgdrls on March 10, 2020, 08:32:46 AM
Wesco has a system where you take numerous measurements of your foot,
and send them the data, no guessing on size.
They also have a discounted section

Your profile info has you in NW OR.  same neighborhood as Wesco,  

D
I'm only about a half hour west of Wesco and an hour west of Danner's Portland factory, I wear both but prefer Wesco for caulks boots. 
What's your planned use for the boots?

John Mc

Are you looking for boots with chainsaw cut protection, or just a generic work boot, or a steel-toed work boot?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

RichTired

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Greenhighlander

Dunlop Purofort Thermo. They make a summer version but they do not have the tread of the thermo.
 It was all anyone on the rigs ever wore.They are the only boot that will hold up to invert.  I use to go through roughly a pair a year because of wearing the tread out at work with all the metal grating on the rig. They have unmatched traction thanks to their aggressive tread and are still my favorite boot and worth every penny. 
If you do not need or want a rubber boot then I would suggest red wings.

Cheers 

charles mann

Where are ya'll finding these american made red wings? 
My first tour in canada, i HAD to get a new pair of boots bc of post ankle surgery issues, esp. for my foot that didnt get cut on. I got a pair of helly hensons. My feet have never felt so good. We had to hang blades and it forecasting rain, sleet ad eventually turning to snow, so i bought another pair, along with rain and sniffle gear, in case the waterproof wasnt that good. I have NOT been disappointed, but im only 3 months in so far. 

If this media scare cold virus causes me to have to go to salem to babysit a bird in paint, im gonna go to wesco and get fitted for a custom fitted pair of boots. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Wudman

Quote from: charles mann on March 16, 2020, 10:28:24 PM
Where are ya'll finding these american made red wings?

Go to the "Red Wing Store".  Some of their boots are made offshore now, but a handful of models are still made in the USA.  I think I have been through 3 pair in the last 15 or 16 years wearing them everyday of my life.  This last pair only made it about 4.  They look good on the outside, but the guts have worn out.  The other two pair, I wore the soles off of them......but I can't complain.  They served me well.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WV Sawmiller

I'm happy with my 9" logger model boots from TSC. I think Schmitt makes them. They seem to be holding up well and are very comfortable especially for a steel toed boot. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kodiakmac

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

RPF2509

If you are in NW OR, go pay a visit to the WESCO factory in Scappose.  You will be fitted and they may have what you want off the shelf.  If you have an odd size they can take the measurements to get a perfectly fitted boot.  Last ones I ordered required a 6 week lead time.  Be forewarned that you pay for quality but quality lasts and the fit will be superb.  I've worn caulks and vibram WESCOs most everyday for 30 years and have always been pleased.  Whites are a good alternative too - my son has a pair and loves them.  I have noticed they have cheapened their lace eyelets in recent years, one piece instead of heavy two piece and you have to pay attention to how they wear with the friction of the laces.  Rotate the eyelets frequently and they should not wear through until rebuild time.

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm really liking the Oregon chainsaw boots I have. They are not lightweight hikers but for a workboot they have been great. Chainsaw rated too.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on March 09, 2020, 05:48:26 PM
I always say Viking boots, those orange loggers ones. If I am outside working, I have them on. Even when I plant the garden. I know some can't wear rubber.  I get 3-4 years out of them. One reason I like them, I can be in wet grass first thing in the morning than in the bog the afternoon and my feet are dry. Winter time I have them on too. I put some miles on in a day.
Yep, me to. And always on in the woods here. Sticks of fresh popple are like skis and spruce roots like ice to. I stopped wearing regular leather work boots in the woods because my knees was too sore after walking that rough ground all day and usually wet because softwoods tend to be on wetter land. If I had just a flat ridge of rock maple to walk I'd still need them for cutting wood. You don't go log rolling with chaulks on unless you aim to win. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!