iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding Rope

Started by Grizzly, March 27, 2020, 12:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

I've landed a small tract of trees to harvest and need some education. My preference is to keep my winch outside of the trees and essentially winch right onto the landing so as to keep the skidder out of the trees and maybe avoid trails. This means I've got to be prepared for a 600ft skid. Are their winch spools that will hold that much rope/cable? Or would I be forcing myself to use a windlass? I will be using snatch blocks to create optimum skids but maybe what I want to do is not practical. This will be on level ground with some bog to work around. Mostly spruce with some poplar and birch. I'll be harvesting only those trees that are culls or over 20"DBH. Anything else you need in order to advise me?

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Iwawoodwork

I think there are a few things to consider,  size of the winch drum, type of ground ,(steep, rocky, stumps, ravines, etc) size of trees, length of logs.
If ground is good and you can shorten the logs then you could go to 1/2" cable or maybe smaller diameter and run an extension, pull up a cold deck to the length of the winch line, then drop the extension and pull up again. lots of work but could be done.
I have pulled some good sized logs around 30"x 20' with 5/16 haywire on smooth ground.
 Without lift you could build a skid for the nose of the log so it doesn't dig in, several shown on this forum over the years .

thecfarm

Better have a helper. I have pulled out 150 feet of cable a few times. When I start to winch it in, I found out quick I can not walk a straight line.  :o 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grizzly

My luxury is that I'm the disabled guy that'll stay by the winch and lean on levers, so as long as it's good for a young guy then my sons will be ok.  ;D

So, long pulls are less than efficient. We'll have to look at trails then and then I'm just as well off with a tractor and skid attachment.

Has anyone used rope vs cable? There's some pretty good quality ropes out there and I'd rather spend on a rope than make do with a cable. No one likes cable splinters.

John Mc

While there are certainly ropes out there that have the strength, they do not have the abrasion resistance, so they generally have not been widely adopted. Steel cable still rules in the woods. If you do decide to use a rope, be sure not to use just any rope. You want one with minimal stretch, specifically designed for winching use.

A 600 foot winch distance is just not practical, in my opinion. I've got 230 feet of cable on my logging winch, and rarely use more than half of it. It's nice to have the extra when I really need it, but it's basically useless if I am winching alone. If you are working with someone, you probably want line of sight to them while winching. Counting on hearing them holler from hundreds of feet away, when there is a running tractor a few feet from you is just asking for trouble. Maybe you could get away with walkie talkies, but there is really no substitute for actually seeing the person you are working with.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Iwawoodwork

On the logging with synthetic rope, Oregon state University in Corvallis, Oregon did some testing of it in their forestry logging program. Might see what they have online about it, or give them a call.

mike_belben

600 foot winching is a job for a yarder and a highline.  
Praise The Lord

240b

Ive used 11/8" amsteel blue for winch line since last fall (it replaces 9/16 wedge wire rope).  Its on a 240 timber jack with a gearmatic winch.  the eye splice failed after around 250k feet. (the avg pine hitch was 1200bd ft, hardwood was 2cds ) I've not been able to break the line.  i broken hooks an chokers (3/8"grade 100 overhead lifting chain an one cm hammerlock).  None of the Oregon University study material was helpful for me.  The biggest issue is main line sliders an the diameter of the rope. 
Ive found it to be amazingly abrasion resistant also.  Its has eliminated 95% of my daily frustrations with skidding. My trips to the chiropractor have been fewer also.
 Ive pics but there on my phone.  If you choose to use syn rope its not steel cable, its way better.  

Lumbergent

160 ft is my limit. Furthur than that And i get snagged all the timei. I just switched from a rusty 3/8 steel cable which destroyed three pairs of gloves a day to a 1/2'' twelve strand dyneema rope. Light, strong and efficient. However after only several pulls ive noticed some wear. Maybe its just losing the new patina of the rope in the mud but i am keeping my eye out for premature damage. Cant say that steel is all powerfull either. Ive had breaks almost tear my head off, where as synthetic rope just drops when breaking after pulling three times as much weight as steel.
Futur Hobbit

Grizzly

Good info on the synthetic rope. Where do I find it? I'll have to search by manufactures name to find a dealer up here in the north.

240b

look on eBay for reel remnants.  i think amsteel is sk-78   

Grizzly

Thanks. We'll see how bad currency exchange is to buy from ebay.

memopad

Most sailing supply stores that sell running rigging (ropes) will carry Dyneema/Spectra 12-strand rope. Most of the big rope manufacturers have their own versions. Samson has Amsteel, New England Ropes has STS (stronger than steel), Robline has their Ocean series of 12 strand, Marlow also makes some. SK-75 was the standard for years, SK-78 has kind of taken over and is an improvement over sk-75 in almost every way. There are other fibers on the market like sk-90 that are stronger yet, but I think sk-78 is an excellent blend of durability, uv stability, low stretch, and strength.

It doesn't take long for 12 strand rope to lose it's "newness", but it's strength won't be compromised. Keeping it clean will make it last longer, but you really don't have to worry about dragging it through mud and dirt. If you do break a rope, it's really easy to splice two ends together in the field, no special tools, only takes a few minutes, and you don't lose any rope strength at the splice.

I've been selling rope and wire rigging products for years as a side business. I've thought about stocking larger diameter dyneema for the off road market but never really got into it. The diameter rope those guys are looking for is far larger than anything I'd sell to the sailboat market.
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

Thank You Sponsors!