iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Searching for a versatile tractor

Started by SwampMonster, March 31, 2020, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampMonster

Hi Folks, 
I appreciate all the information I've been able to gleen from reading older posts, but figured I could use some advice specific to my application.

I may be asking too much out of a single piece of equipment, but hoping to at least limit the number of pieces we purchase. We have a better ability to finance purchases, and thus purchasing/financing new equipment may actually suit our cash flow better than buying used with a lump sum. Likewise, I have spent too much of my life already repairing older equipment than putting it to good use, and am thus leaning towards new. Our goal is to cover 90+% of tasks with equipment on hand, and rent or hire out any other tasks required. I accept that a do it all machine may not be optimal in any given case, but I enjoy the struggle in part, but want to be safe and capable.  

We have recently purchased a 200 acre timber farm and adjoining family homestead, and are deciding on which tools to add to the arsenal. 
Tasks include 
Tending to a 2 acre family garden, and 5 acres fruit and nut trees. 
We have about 4 acres around the house we are hoping to get creative with in landscaping, adding additional garden beds, small ponds, irrigation etc. 
Clear out additional acreage to expand the orchard, additional 5-10 acres or so. 
Tending to the timber farm trails and lanes as well as some minimal logging for personal use, be it fire wood, furniture or construction etc, removing downed trees etc. We will be hiring out our more intense logging as the years go by. 
We have an additional 20 acres that are water logged due to intense logging in the past and poor management of the lanes with severe rutting etc causing poor drainage. I hope to reclaim some of this by adding culverts or a series of drainage ditches.

My thoughts right now are leaning towards a ~50 hp utility tractor JD 5 series or equivalent in a different color with front loader, adding a backhoe, bush hog and finish mower, 3 point winch. We have access to compatible box blade, wood chipper, and a tree shaker if needed. 

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Nathan4104

i Sounds like you are on the right track in your decision.  Check your local tax rules, above 60hp PTO may be exempt from sales tax.  it was a deciding factor for me.  
i dont do what you're describing but the M7060 i bought to help with my small firewood gig has been a great sized machine for me, moving wood, cleaning up, plowing snow and pulling my dump trailer to make deliveries 6-8 miles away. (my truck is not up to that task, size or legally wise)
Colour don't matter, dealer support nearby is likely more important. 
As for a hoe, i've decided against it on this size machine, will be too big to do smaller jobs and too small/light to do what you'd really want to do, and at a pretty high price tag. renting or hiring out the work may be a better use of 10-15g to add that hoe.  or look at a used mini excavator, or older case 580 type machine to get ya by. 
everyone has a different need, budget and area they work! 
Good luck 

brianJ

I suspect a Versatile tractor is too big and expensive for the work you anticipate.    A compact Kubota or new holland would be right up your alley.

Chart curtsy of googling "Versatile Tractor 

[th]Model[/th]
[th]Power[/th]
[th]Years[/th]
310310 hp2014 - 2017
315310 hp2018 -
335335 hp2016 -
340340 hp2008 - 2011

47sawdust

brianJ,
I believe the OP is for a versatile tractor with a small v,  not the big boys you are referring too.
Unless you are a very good mechanic ,dealer support is a real comfort.Tractor color is largely personal preference.I have owned 4 Kubotas from a 1979 M4000,an L2550 ,my wife's B 1700 and my 1985 L3750. The L3750 has a hydraulic shuttle shift and it is very close to driving an automatic transmission w/o the whine and high rpms of a HST.
The larger M series Kubota's also have the hyd.shuttle shift,but these are more modern with emissions and enough electronics to make me run away fast.
I also think you would be happier with a separate backhoe or a small excavator than an attachment,but it is real easy to spend your money.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

stavebuyer

I think you are on the right track with a utility sized 4wd tractor. I also agree that the "digging" is the trade off when it come to that choice of machine. Save the backhoe attachment dollars and buy/rent/hire a mini excavator for the digging.

thecfarm

Don't buy anything smaller than a 40hp 4wd tractor. I have a 40hp that I do A LOT of work with. I use to work it in the woods, steady. All my trails are planned out, no cowboying over big rocks, or uneven places. Cut the stumps low too. Any brush that is left in the woods, I try for pieces no longer than 2 feet. Yes, all this takes time, but spend a couple hours a day improving your land and it's time well spent.
Get one with a loader too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bwstout

I have a L4701 HST with the backhoe attachment . I bought it to use around my mill to load logs and the back hoe to dig around the edge of my pond to keep out willow trees. I am some what disappointed in it. First the hydraulics  seem to be very week, not sure if it is the HST system or what but as for as using the forks to load a log if it is 24 to 28"x 10' and still green it just want pick it up and as for as the backhoe digging up a stump that is very large 36" or bigger it just want do it. I think advice is correct if you really need a backhoe I would not buy, as for as my tractor I would not buy it again. My friend has a JD 50hp shuttle shift that will pick up the same log with ease and I cannot. Just may be but I would not buy another one.
home built mill

Raider Bill

Another vote for no back hoe. I had one on my orange 4200 4 wd. It was a woods. Pitiful, dangerous and hard on the tractor.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bruno of NH

Hst tractors won't lift as much as a power shuttle shift.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bwstout

yes sir found that out but have 35000.00 in it so just have to suffer with it.
home built mill

EOTE

Some of the things you want to ensure your tractor can do is pick up logs, downed trees, remove brush, make and maintain roads.

My tractor is a 40 hp orange 4wd, with a quick attach plate on the loader.  I can change between bucket and grapple and forks in less than a minute.  On the rear end I have a modified box blade that can drag logs and grade roads, a stump grinder,  and a wood chipper.  I can easily switch between tools for the work that needs to be done.

Consider the orange tractor line as they offer 0% down and 0% interest rate.  Also, whatever tractor size/hp you think is adequate, if you can afford one size up, do it.  Remember too, a bigger tractor means more power and versatility but also means more expense and if you have soft areas where you can get stuck, bigger headaches getting unstuck.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Riwaka

If you have soft soil, poor drainage and a high rainfall, the tractor could put ruts in the lawn. There are a wide varity of lawn mowing solutions autonomous robots to newer mowers (e.g the altoz tracked mowers- I'm watching them to see how their longer term reliability is).
Turf Testament: Slopes & Wet Areas with the Altoz TRX in Southern Minnesota - YouTube

chevytaHOE5674

I would advise against a 3 point backhoe on ANYTHING. I've personally seen tractors broke in half, broken rear castings, torn up 3pt linkage, etc. A TLB (tractor loader backhoe) with a subframe mounted hoe is a decent option but they are not convient to mount and dismount to use other attachments. If you really need to dig a dedicated backhoe or mini-ex is a much better option.

donbj

I wouldn't advise against a 3-point hitch backhoe if you know how to run it properly and not abuse it. I have owned this unit since 1989. I bought it with a 1956 Fordson Major diesel tractor. Both for $3500. It's a LONG brand hoe and has been one of the most dependable and useful pieces of equipment I have owned. It was hardly used when I bought it. Sold the Fordson in 1999 when I picked up my 5300 JD 4x4 with 540 loader.

This hoe has done so much work for me and others, septic systems, water lines, stumps(with patience), general excavation and a multitude of other various jobs and has never let me down except for the odd hose and a rebuilt joint at the main boom and stick. It's certainly not an excavator strength machine but with patience and some technique it has done all I have asked of it. The main valve body is developing some bypass and is not as strong as when bought but still works great. I will never sell it. The 5300 handles it beautifully.(edit, I did have to rebuild the main boom cyl)

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

mike_belben

I know a guy that loads his logs with a pretty big new holland.. Probably 80hp.  

He breaks a lot more front planetaries than you will want to pay for. 
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

for moving dirt no farm tractor is the answer. do farm tractors still use the engine as a stressed member? deere and case stopped that with there tlb in the 70.s

PoginyHill

I think HST tractors suck too much power and prone to "slippage". I prefer a straight gear transmission. Depending on how often you'd need to dig, renting a mini-excavator for $300/day might be a better choice than buying. I've found a dump trailer with floatation tires key to improving woods roads with gravel and stone.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

dirtmotor

I use a orange mx51 and for me its a good size , I added a third function for a grapple and weights to rear wheels and also beefed up and weighted a box blade that doubles as a skidder . I agree that a backhoe needs to be on a backhoe or mini X .

woodmaker

I have them all, 35 hp tractor with backhoe attachment, full size tlb, and excavators up to 26 tons.
If I wanted to do your projects,I would invest in a nice 40-50 hp tractor,with a bunch of attachments( but no backhoe attachment, there is a reason i call mine a wormdigger) and an older(read less expensive) 4x4 tlb with forks or better yet, a 4 in 1 bucket 

I dont understand how the average american family can live without a backhoe
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

bwstout

I not saying that a backhoe attachment is a bad idea just that I had greater expectation that it can do. I use my backhoe attachment regular and would not want to do without a backhoe but it want move a mountain maybe a mole hill ;D and it will lift most logs that I saw. But if I had a do over I would spend the 35000.00+ on different equipment 
home built mill

Southside

Quote from: brianJ on March 31, 2020, 04:20:09 PM
I suspect a Versatile tractor is too big and expensive for the work you anticipate.    A compact Kubota or new holland would be right up your alley.

Chart curtsy of googling "Versatile Tractor

[th]Model[/th]
[th]Power[/th]
[th]Years[/th]

310 hp
2014 - 2017

310 hp
2018 -

335 hp
2016 -

340 hp
2008 - 2011

My mind went to the same place as yours did. Someone is fixin to do some serious farming... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Rhodemont

I have got a JD 4720 58hp diesel 4wd with 50hp at the PTO.  Front end loader with quick disconnect from bucket to root rake or forks, back hoe, Norse 350 3pt hitch, 5 ft brush hog, post hole digger, york rake.  I use it on 60+acres of hardwood forest and horse paddocks/pasture. It along with my Gator more than earn their keep.  I set it up for logging in the winter with the winch and use the front end loader with log tongs chained on to lift and load the sawmill.  I switch over to the hoe about this time of year and it typically stays on doing all sorts of things until later summer when I want to brush hog pastures. Can switch out the hoe in about 15 mins so I do if need to use other implements.  
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

711ac

Most, hell all new tractors of any HP are very "soft" on the side that points to the ground, where all your stick and rocks are. If working in the woods is a big part of your goals you'll need to add some protection down there. Filters and hyd. lines/piping are the first to attract trouble that can drain out your transmission often before you notice anything, but after a lot of expensive damage has occurred. 
I mention this not to scare you off from a tractor, but just as a word of caution.
I also believe with the others that for the cost of a new backhoe attachment, you will be disappointed unless all you need to do is some minor shallow ditching and planting shrubs.
It's no so much the 6'-7' depth that's a shortfall of a little bh, but the reach. Put those dollars into a rented mini ex when you have a day or weekend's worth of work for it. 
I'd recommend that you have the following included in your negotiated tractor deal.
1. Skid steer style quick *connect for the loader. (bucket, forks, etc)
2. Hydraulics (generally call 3rd function) on the loader (to operate a grapple, 4/1 bucket,   post hole digger, etc)
3. At least one extra set of SCV's at the rear (2 pair)
4. bigger (heavier & HP) is always better ;D

* this ssqa for the loader is becoming pretty standard across all makes, but JD still sells their "proprietary" JD hitch requiring JD attachments that all use that very expensive green paint and all but excludes you from finding any used attachments. :D

Sound's line a fun adventure you heading into. Good luck.

EOTE

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

thecfarm

I like that first versatile tractor better.   ;D
If someone else is paying for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!