iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problems with Central boiler 6048 propane backup

Started by mosinga, January 06, 2020, 07:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosinga

Hello all

New to this forum but been reading along as we moved to burning wood with our CB 6048. We used propane backup last year for a few days and it worked great but despite trialing it this year for a day first (no problems) , we left for a few days and switched to full propane and it must not have gone on. House (bsmt  slab) was stone cold when we returned. Good thing it was kinda mild or we would have been in trouble. Any idea what happened?  Did the burner not go on as it didnt ignite or something? Cresote buildup??
ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks
Rookie

woody_88

I'm assuming you double checked upon arriving home to see with your own eyes. We've been on propane for a few weeks now and EVRYTHING is stone cold compared to when we had the owb in operation!  :D

E Yoder

I would guess a creosote problem but a dealer would be able to give more specific advice.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

woody_88

I am new to owb's and did not realize how important it is to take off the air channels when doing a post season clean. Honestly I didn't even know it could be done. Until my dealer (problem solver) mentioned it and showed me how. It was so gunked up, that caused a ton of mysterious burning problems that I was having this season. Slow burns, not getting to temp, fire out with a full load etc

mosinga

Thanks Woody!  Any advice on how I could check those air channels? (i am assuming that is on the inside (left side or is that in the door?)  
The manual we got with the furnace is really very basic and does not outline any of these kinds of things at all.
We burn with wood no problem, works like a charm and heat our house nice and toasty!
But want to keep it going and the propane was a real puzzler!

woody_88

I am not entirely sure about how to keep the airflow clear on the classic models such as the one you have. Mine is the newer style gasser model, and so there are three plate covers that run along the inside of the fire box. Front, left, and right all have one. Two screws takes them off and you have access to scrape all the creosote if needed. Also a large plate in the back to get at the exchanger. So anyways, short story long, I am not 100% on how you would do it. But I do know this, you're at the right place to look, learn and ask!

Thank You Sponsors!