iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

...and more Walnut hewing with a twist

Started by Brad_bb, December 06, 2021, 10:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I was doing a little hewing this last week.  I had to make two posts to wrap around to opposing framed corners.  I was trying to save material by making them from two pieces screwed and glued together, but in the end I ended up only doing one this way because I wasn't happy with the pieces for the second.  So for the second I used a solid beam and cut the corner out.  On the two piece beam, hewing the face with the seam hid most of the seam.  In a couple spots you could find the line, so I camoflauged it by gluing on some walnut slivers and sanding them a bit, and I also made a paste of wood glue and find dust from sanding walnut and pushed it into the seam and sanded after it dried.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kantuckid

Nice work!!! 
I built 12' 6" long faux walnut beams for one son's kitchen and dining room recently. He helped some first day, I did the other 5 of 6 beams myself on a row of sawhorses. It took several hours to dig out enough longer walnut from my stash to avoid joints for length we needed. 
Not hewed but per his wife they were a 6" U-shaped ceiling mount thing with router beveled lower edges. They have framing lumber inner web supports also to assist the mtg process. 
I like yours better as I'm a "rustic guy" :D. I once used your same hewing technique to make my own EWP fireplace mantle look "older" & like it belonged in our log home with a creek rock fireplace. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

What about ripping the larger in half with the mill and then mill off the piece which would be the waste and then glue the other piece back on.  I would think it would fit right back into place.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

That would be rough cut .  You need a very smooth flat surface to glue to make sure there is no gap as much as possible.  Rough sawn can't be glued and screwed without a very noticeable joint.  

Also, on the one I seamed together, the two pieces were from two different logs or at least different places in the same log.  I didn't start with a solid beam on that one.  The one that did start as a solid 8.5x8.5, I simply used my track saw to cut 2.75 deep(max depth on festool T75), then I used my big Makita 16" circ saw and cut the rest of the way down just using the kerf as a guide.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!