iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inverters?

Started by Just Me, June 12, 2016, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I bought a Grumman Curbmaster and I am going to build a motorhome. Hate all the  in all the manufacturered ones, and they all  as far as quality, so I am to make one.

One thing I want to add is a inverter, I think? I want just enough to blow up an air mattress with the pump they supply, not much for amperage.

I have never had one. Are they a problem? This is a GM Diesel with a big alternator and it will have twin batteries.

Tales of woe? Good deal?

Thanks, Larry

Kbeitz

allways buy one bigger than you think you need.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Make sure you mount it somewhere it can get airflow for cooling.  You'll probably find you'll be using it for more than just blowing up an air mattress.  They make 12 volt air pumps for this, so you wouldn't even need an inverter, right?  :D  Sounds like a cool project.  Are those curbside trucks aluminum bodies?  GM diesel, is it the 6.2 or 6.5?  Turbo or non? 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DDW_OR

if i was going to make my own RV i would have the two separate electrical systems
12V LED lights.
12V electric system for "dry camping". here is where i would use the inverter. just remember that every time you change voltage you loose power. the power loss is small, maybe as much as 10%.
mark the Inverter outlets with a Red plate. and put a switch to turn the inverter off when not in use.

120V for when you are at a RV park or have access to Grid power.
have an electric hot plate for cooking and maybe electric instant hot water heater.
"let the machines do the work"

Just Me

Quote from: Ox on June 12, 2016, 09:38:26 AM
Make sure you mount it somewhere it can get airflow for cooling.  You'll probably find you'll be using it for more than just blowing up an air mattress.  They make 12 volt air pumps for this, so you wouldn't even need an inverter, right?  :D  Sounds like a cool project.  Are those curbside trucks aluminum bodies?  GM diesel, is it the 6.2 or 6.5?  Turbo or non?

You know, I did not think to look for a 12V mattress blower, good thought. I would not need the inverter then. I just did not want to start a generator to blow up the mattress. The mattress will deflate and pull up to the ceiling.

Yes it is all aluminum, Chevy one ton chassis with independent front end, 6.2 non turbo. Built like tanks, aluminum skin is 1/8 thick, yet weighs in at just over 6000 bare. No roof leaks ever. I am not going to run anything through the roof. 7'6" wide and tall enough to stand up with room to spare. 16' behind the cab. 32K miles.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Just Me on June 12, 2016, 04:28:10 PM
..........6.2 non turbo. .........

ADD A TURBO. more power, better fuel millage, cleaner exhaust, works better at altitude .

Ianab

We have a little 12v plug in inverter. Just a ~6" box that plugs into the Cig lighter of the car. Only rated for ~150w, but it's handy to have. Can recharge any device with it's regular charger (Digital cameras / cellphones etc) or run and recharge a laptop etc.

If you are kitting out the camper you can organise everything that's permanently fitted to run off 12v or propane. It's the little things you might bring with you, but they generally don't need a lot of power.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ox

It sounds like a fantastic vehicle!  I have a 6.2 naturally aspirated diesel like yours.  It's a Detroit Diesel.  They're a good engine.  Not overly powerful but the torque and better mileage is good for trucks. 

If you don't mind me asking, what do those things sell for these days?  It sounds like a fantastic vehicle with many purposes.  I'm guessing it's got a Turbo 400 tranny in it?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

OliverH_timberF

I would go with a samlex brand inverter. I have been looking at them quite frequently to install in my 98 GMC 2500 with 6.5L TD. if you are going to use any sensitive electronics such as a laptop, camera charger, tv or anything of the sort you are going to need a pure sine wave inverter as opposed to a modified sine wave inverter. I hope I didn't confuse things but that can be a costly mistake. Are you sure all you want to run is a air pump? No microwave or anything?  Also I would put a turbo on the 6.2 but don't push too far with the boost. Sounds like a really cool project I would love to see some updates as I am quite interested in diy campers

Just Me

Quote from: Ox on June 12, 2016, 10:35:07 PM
It sounds like a fantastic vehicle!  I have a 6.2 naturally aspirated diesel like yours.  It's a Detroit Diesel.  They're a good engine.  Not overly powerful but the torque and better mileage is good for trucks. 

If you don't mind me asking, what do those things sell for these days?  It sounds like a fantastic vehicle with many purposes.  I'm guessing it's got a Turbo 400 tranny in it?

Yea, I won't be putting a turbo on this one. KISS. If I am in this I will not be in a hurry, because that is what I am trying to get away from. Will not be going to the mountains, just knocking around the UP.

Yes it does have a 400, wish it was a manual, but it is what it is. I bought it for $2500, been sitting a couple of years so I am going to go through the brakes, new tires, and it was missing the drivers window. Its still at my buddies, when I get it home I will post pics.

I am keeping with the minimalist philosophy on this. No water system, Port-a Potty, minimal cabinetry. The kitchen unit will be on wheels so it can be rolled out of the unit when I want to haul something, as will any other cabinets that I decide to add. This is just a way for me to get away for a day or two when I am able, no long trips, and I am too old for tenting. I want it ready to go at a moments notice, because that is how I roll.

Will be no phones, no computers, no GPS so no worries on the sine wave. All that is what I want to get away from.

OlJarhead

On my off-grid cabin I started with an AIMS 2500 Modified Sine wave inverter.  Very inexpensive and worked great.  I changed to pure sine with an AIMS 4000 watt inverter ($1400 vs $200 for the old one) and after 3 years it's still doing it's job quite well :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Ianab

QuoteWill be no phones, no computers, no GPS so no worries on the sine wave. All that is what I want to get away from.

Then you wont need an inverter. Set up lights etc to run off 12V and KISS
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DDW_OR

and a solar panel trickle charger.
i have one on the dash of the Dodge 2007 diesel i seldom drive.

r.man

I love those trucks, knew a carpenter who had one as his work vehicle. If the wires are in for the receptacles and lights the inverter can be chosen or upgraded later if budget is an issue at first. Smaller capacities are cheaper but the downstream wiring always needs to be the same.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Gearbox

keep your starting battery isolated from coach batterys . ask me how much a jump can cost when your out in the woods fishing .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

Your plan of KISS with this truck is wonderful.  KISS is one of my creeds.  Be able to up and go when the moment and mood strikes you is awesome.  Half the time after you get done packing you're wore out and don't feel like going anymore.  Yeah, no turbo to that old diesel is also a good idea.  I know it's possible, but why?  It's designed for running without one and buying a turbo is money better spent elsewhere.  Looking forward to updates on your minimalist campmobile.

maple flats

As far as inverters go, if you will just run an air pump, use a 12V. but if you will ever plug in any electronics you want a pure sine wave inverter. They do cost lots more but they output grid quality power, anything you plug in to it will be happy as long as the inverter is sized to run that load. If you use a modified sine wave inverter it will ruin many sensitive electronics.
In my sugarhouse when I first put up some solar I bought a modified inverter. It fried the control board on both a microwave and an auto draw off for the evaporator. Then I bought a good pure sine wave inverter and have had no issues in 8 years. I now have grid power at the sugarhouse and I'm net metered (my inverter sends excess power to the grid, thus you know it's good clean power).
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Just Me

It took me three tries to find an air mattress that I can sleep on. The one I have has a built in pump/evacuater that is 110V, otherwise I would just use 12V.

Thank You Sponsors!