iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blackberry / raspberry bushes

Started by woodland84, August 05, 2020, 07:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodland84

Is there an effective way to get rid of blackberry and raspberry bushes? I'm not a fan of chemicals, but realize that this may be the only option. They are scattered quite heavy throughout my tree lot and are a nuisance. The area receives a lot of sun as well. I normally cut many off when working in the lot, but this is a short term fix.

Stephen1

I think you just keep using the weed eater if you do not want to use chemicals. I have been fighting them at my house for a few years. The have gotten into my garden now. They have a great underground runner system. 
I also make sure I eat the fruit to make them worth having them around.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

mike_belben

Get a grubber attachment for atv or whatever and pull them out by the stem.
Praise The Lord

maple man

On my lot in Central Maine the raspberries came in pretty heavily about 4-5 years after a hard cut in 2000 but eventually got shaded out by saplings and died back. Some areas which were covered with them 15 years ago now have a thick stand of 20-25 foot oak saplings and no berry bushes. 2-5 acre patches I had cut four years ago have a bumper crop of berries this year but I am hoping for the same eventual take over of hard woods.

mudfarmer

Quote from: maple man on August 05, 2020, 08:07:43 PM
On my lot in Central Maine the raspberries came in pretty heavily about 4-5 years after a hard cut in 2000 but eventually got shaded out by saplings and died back. Some areas which were covered with them 15 years ago now have a thick stand of 20-25 foot oak saplings and no berry bushes. 2-5 acre patches I had cut four years ago have a bumper crop of berries this year but I am hoping for the same eventual take over of hard woods.
This matches my experience as well, except the oak part. In my case depending on the plot it may be EWP, maple, cherry, yellow birch or a combination of these that overtop and eventually shade away the berry bushes.

Ron Scott

This is usually the natural succession for approximately the first 5-7 years or so after a hardwood clearcut when the blackberry and raspberry will be shaded out by the natural hardwood regeneration. In the meantime the berries provide a diverse abundance of wildlife food for both game and nongame species.
~Ron

treesparrow

I live in NW PA. and here we have a lack of Blackberry and Raspberry brambles. The proliferation of various Honeysuckle and Multiflora rose bushes has deeply replaced many native species. I miss the days of large berry patches.   

DDW_OR

here in western Oregon, blackberries are EVERYWHERE
FYI, they make great honey.

cut the adult vines to the ground, let the dead pile dry for a few days then burn it

then electric fence the area, and put goats in. they love new blackberry shoots and will keep eating them till the shoots are dead

then repeat in next area.
"let the machines do the work"

brianJ

Mulch them with a brush hog or something similar is the easiest & best approach.   The following year will be really fruitful.    Something to take advantage of.

mudfarmer

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 30, 2020, 10:56:04 AM

cut the adult vines to the ground, let the dead pile dry for a few days then burn it

then electric fence the area, and put goats in. they love new blackberry shoots and will keep eating them till the shoots are dead

There is nothing my boar hog loves more than blackberries. He will eat the 1" thick stalks even!! OK he might love his sows more ;D

DDW_OR

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 02, 2020, 09:35:39 AM
Quote from: DDW_OR on September 30, 2020, 10:56:04 AM

There is nothing my boar hog loves more than blackberries. He will eat the 1" thick stalks even!! OK he might love his sows more ;D
OK, then replace the goats with pigs
"let the machines do the work"

thecfarm

Yes on the black berries coming in. This land has never been logged since my Father could remember, he was in his 70's when we started to log it. Not much growing under the big pines we had. After we cut here for 3-4 years, we changed that.  :o  Black and raspberries bushes all over the place. And not to mention a carpet of eastern white pine too.
I just saw a big area of blackberries knocked all over. I would suspect a bear. Not too far from the house either. I have not seen the bear, but I bet he has seen me. Grandson found a pile of scant with blackberries in it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Squirrels are natures little tree planters and birds do the job on berries .

ppine

The introduced Himalayan blackberries are the scourge of the Pacific Northwest.  They are very invasive and can take over large acreages.  People do not control them much. 

My brother uses a tractor on them in Oregon.  Then an herbicide twice a year the first year to knock them back.  Check with co-op extension or the Canadian equivalent.  A horticultural supplier can give you local guidance.  Some herbicides are rated for use around water. 
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!