iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this pitch in EWP? Boards

Started by A-z farmer, December 31, 2020, 07:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-z farmer

We had this sawn in the 1980s by a circle mill and they have been in our barn since then .One of my grandsons wanted some shelves for his room and this is what the boards looked like after planning and some danish oil.I thought it was just a fluke until my other grand kids saw them and wanted the same kind of shelves for their rooms .So far all the boards from this pile all look the same as these.
I have never seen this before but then I am a farmer and not a woodworker yet.

Don P

Coffee stain, or brown stain. IIRC it's caused by slow drying conditions moving extractives to the drying front.

SwampDonkey

If it is pitch you'll see it bead up once them boards get warmer than they've been during drying. Seen it on barn door boards, came right through the paint. Barn door gets hot in the summer sun compared to sitting in a barn loft.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

A-z farmer

I think Don P is right about the stain because it did not seem to clog up the belt sander belt with pitch .
I have not seen it before and on soo many ewp boards .Thank you all 

moodnacreek

chemical brown stain. Hard to avoid some years but so much better than blue stain.

Don P

@GeneWengert-WoodDoc sent me a good article on it some years ago. I've been poking around the desk for a couple of days but can't lay my hands on it. In the right place I don't mind it at all where bluestain has never rocked my world.

Thank You Sponsors!