iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree length loads

Started by Ohio_Bill, August 23, 2014, 09:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

A local mill wants to buy tree length loads . How do they scale and pay for tree length ? This would be white and red oak and would have several high dollar logs in it .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Southside

Around here tree length is weighed, some pay flat rate per ton just on that, in some cases a "general" inspection is done where the logs are looked over for knots over a certain size, rot, sweep, IE - any defects, then depending on how many deductions are discovered the whole load is discounted a certain percent, there is no bonus for any really great logs in that case.  It works well for big volume producers who are pushing out multiple loads per day, not so well for the small guy. 

As an example,  I can sell the same poplar log to a mill that weighs everything for $50.00 per ton (around $220 / MBF) as long as it is 16" on the small end that I can sell to another mill for $675 / MBF, these are current prices.  As a little guy I don't sell any tree length wood.  Many mills that buy tree length do buy a little cut to length as well, gives them a source of logs to keep milling in the event they have a problem with the cut off saws or in-feed. 

In some cases the mills want tree length as they can cut the logs to their best grade that way rather than relying on the logger to cut them to grade, in which case I would think they would scale and pay on board feet. 

If it were me I would ask them how they measure and pay, and if they would take cut to length how they pay on that then you can look at how it works best for you.  Many mills are more than happy to bring you to the receiving yard and show you what they want and how they measure, there is no hidden agenda, the better the wood they get the more money they can make, communication is the key to making it work best for both parties. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

It's generally weight scale. And that depends on species as some are heavier than others. Up here if fir is mixed in with spruce your pay drops because fir is heavier green than spruce. And if the but log is removed, mills may reject the load. It's best to not guess about the specs and go get the details. Did you talk with the mill, or was it a conversation with another logger?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberlinetree

Bucking logs the right way is were all the $ is made.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BBTom

Timberlinetree is right,  timber prices are getting higher in this area, and a mill can gain many pocketfulls of money in a hurry by bucking for grade.  Much of the higher priced hardwoods here are pulled to the landing tree length and the mill sends a cutter to cut them before hauling.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

chester_tree _farmah

Yup by weight.  Some "mills" are set up to use the whole tree. A lot of spruce/fir and poplar up here goes right to pulp just as it comes in. The price they are paying for tree length spruce or fir or poplar does not seem to justify bucking out the logs. The price for spruce/fir saw logs has not moved in years.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Ohio_Bill

Thanks so much for the explanation and advise . I did not talk to the mill myself, it is a different mill than I sell to .I had a conversation with another logger . This approach is something new for our area . I use the lower grade logs in my tie operation and will continue to sell the higher grade logs to the big boys . I do continually ask there buyer what they are needing and try if possible supply those lengths . They are a grade mill and seem to like only having grade logs .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

PAFaller

Few mills here have contract loggers that they set up to haul tree length. Some even have western style pole trailers. At times the price for long switch ties is exceptional, so thats where the tree length comes in to play. And as we all know, you cant make long ties out of short sticks. Ive seen first hand mills cutting long material, processing the boards for best grade and leaving a big timber that still had clear faces. Thats where a good mill manager comes in to play, knowing the price of that cant cut up in to boards or saving the sawing time and leaving the timber. I'm sure part of it also has to do with keeping in certain buyers good graces.
It ain't easy...

treeslayer2003

bill i take tree length grade to a buyer, not a mill. he cuts to length and grades accordingly. i have made out better this way as he gets more mid grade logs that i was selling as common saw. my per load price went down slightly but my average load went up......ie, less saw and more grade. so any given tract ultimately wound up worth more this way. i still get paid by measure, its just that i'm not doing the bucking.

mad murdock

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on August 25, 2014, 05:16:32 PM

bill i take tree length grade to a buyer, not a mill. he cuts to length and grades accordingly. i have made out better this way as he gets more mid grade logs that i was selling as common saw. my per load price went down slightly but my average load went up......ie, less saw and more grade. so any given tract ultimately wound up worth more this way. i still get paid by measure, its just that i'm not doing the bucking.
Any way you slice it treeslayer, that there is a NICE load of logs in that pic 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

enigmaT120

I don't know how to get trees that long off my property.  My road out has a pretty tight curve with a bridge in the middle.  Too bad, because I do have a few trees that I think would make good poles.  And many more in another 20 years.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

pineywoods

Quote from: enigmaT120 on August 29, 2014, 12:24:20 PM
I don't know how to get trees that long off my property.  My road out has a pretty tight curve with a bridge in the middle.  Too bad, because I do have a few trees that I think would make good poles.  And many more in another 20 years.
Go down to the nearest big city firehouse and borrow a long ladder trailer. The rear wheels are steerable. Seriously, shouldn't be too hard to rig up something that would do the job, especially with small loads..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

Pipeline trailers steer like that, too.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

Two log arches, one in front and one in back that is steerable by hand should work too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 29, 2014, 12:00:57 PM
Nice, Is that W Oak?
yes it is.
we about quit hauling over length now.......cut most off at 42' put the top in the middle of the load.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: mad murdock on August 29, 2014, 08:09:25 AM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on August 25, 2014, 05:16:32 PM

Any way you slice it treeslayer, that there is a NICE load of logs in that pic 8)
yeas sir, i wish i had a thousand more loads like it lol.

smwwoody

tree slayer  i think i have told you this before but that load looks a little heavy.   ;)
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!