iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using .063 chain on a .058 bar, opinions?

Started by micky boy, August 20, 2006, 06:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky boy

Hi all,
I've got a new boxed chain at home as a spare for my MS 250, its a Stihl chain- .325 pitch and .063 guage.
Now then, I am running .325/ .058 on my 357xp and have noticed that the .063 chain fits into a used/partly worn (not new cause of paint, etc) bar.
Are there any reasons why I couldn't use this chain in my .058 bars when the newness has worn off.
Three Five Seven............Chainsaw Heaven

low_48

I don't see why not, but I would make sure it had a good slip around the bar, especially around the nose sprocket. It's my idea that the bar opens up with a slight angle instead of parallel wear. You can buy a tool that will roll the angle flare out of the bar. The drive won't notice the difference unless you have quite a bit of wear on it. It might be a little tough on the chain if it is trying to fit into the old worn groove of the drive.

ComputerUser

Yes, it could be done - if it fits and goes around, it will "work" - but I guess the better question would be this: why bother?

If it were me, I would just replace a bar on one of the saws so I could run the same size chain on all of 'em.  If you're buying premade loops, this will make life more convenient (though DL count may be different Stihl vs Husqvarna); if you spin your own loops, it is THE only practical way to do it.

sawguy21

I tried it on Friday and it didnt work. Somebody had spliced a section of 75 into a loop of 73 ::) Probably using up roll ends.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

micky boy

I only want to do it because its a spare chain for a saw that I rarely use and already has a good chain on it. The chain in question has been in my tool box for about six months now and I thought it would better to get some use out of it, I don't intend to make it a regular thing its just a one off and its a stihl chain, I do like stihl chain. I usually end up getting oregon or husky chain most of the time but I rate the stihl chain higher. If I need a chain in an emergency one day then it would be there to use on my 357, instead of an unscheduled trip to the saw shop and lost time in the woods.

I'm guessing that the rim sprocket would probably have to be a bit wore in too, else it might be too tight a fit.

SawTroll

I wouldn't do it unless the .058 bar is so worn that .058 chain have started to cut crooked, because it could accellerate bar wear.

Chanses are that when the bar is that worn, the groove will have more of a "V" shape, than a "U" shape - so it may not work too good anyway for anything but strictly vertical cutting.
Information collector.

belcoron

The rim sprockets on Husky and Stihl are exactlly the same and the tips are good for .050 .058 and .063

I wouldn't use the chain unless the bar groove is worn out and you'll probably end up with hotspots on your bar.

I wouldn't do it.

jkj

Quote from: low_48 on August 20, 2006, 09:55:19 PM
You can buy a tool that will roll the angle flare out of the bar.

Do you know where to get this tool?  I've looked before and couldn't find one.  The last time I reworked a bar that was getting sloppy I used a hammer and anvil and file, but that was tedious.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

jkj

LT-15 for farm and fun

micky boy

I thought I would see how it all fitted together today. I had a new rim sprocket fitted on the 357 the other day as part of my routine maintenance and the current .058 bar I am running is about a month old and very far from worn, it has had 2 chains through it in that time (damned stones, I've been felling on a wooded flood plain-trees covered with grown in dirt etc from the floods each winter for the last 40 years. Why me-again smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3) Any way......... the .063 stihl chain fits perfectly into the new rim even with slack spare on the sides (just as belcoron said !) and it fitted nice in the bar grooves and turned easily by hand.
So my conclusion is that it will work but just not with a brand new bar. Atleast I know it will get me out of trouble.

pepsi_smiley - every time

Thank You Sponsors!