iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for pictures

Started by Bruno of NH, May 26, 2022, 03:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I'm looking for pictures of what the 2 hydraulic pump system looks like on the lt40 super
I want to add a pump to my lt40 wide 
I can't afford a new mill yet because I need to add some other equipment first.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ladylake

If you mill is set up at home  get a electric motor and a hydraulic pump.  WAY more reliable and most likely cost less.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

I have no idea whether your hydraulic box is large enough for a second hydraulic pump.

Both pumps are beneath the hydraulic controls and hoses see here.  You can see the actual pumps here to the left of the filter.  (They have the red plugs.)  The pumps are plumbed in parallel.

To access the pump motors the controls have to be unbolted and folded back.  Here the two 12 Volt motors are seen and can be removed for servicing.  I am presently replacing my motor brushes so these pictures were taken today.  I am 100% portable and have no problem with the electric over hydraulic.

Since you are home based, Steve's suggestion above may be the way to go.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Quote from: ladylake on May 26, 2022, 03:30:02 PM

If you mill is set up at home  get a electric motor and a hydraulic pump.  WAY more reliable and most likely cost less.  Steve
Is this the set up Bibbyman was running at his operation?
He had posted pictures of it.  Must be in his gallery.

Mooseherder

I just went in to look in Bibbyman's gallery.   Wow, what a wealth of knowledge there and in pictures!
This one was in his Mill modification and maintenance album. 

trimguy

So just adding another pump in parallel would give you the fast hydraulics ?

barbender

@Bandmill Bandit did all of those mods on his iirc, basically turning it into a Super. I think he said he wished he would've just traded in on a super by the time he got done. You may have to go through the electrical, being that your wires and solenoids are sized for 1 pump. I would think an electric standalone pump might be money ahead, too.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

That is a correct statement.  The loading limit is the same but at a slower speed.

This week one of my pumps started to intermittently fail and I could still load and turn but the speed was significantly reduced.  The working pump will overflow the failing/non-working pump so determining which is failing is easy.  I disconnected and also plugged the filler opening so I could continue and finish the job.

I pulled it this morning and 2 of the 4 brushes were much shorter so the motor was trying to operate on half of the windings.  That pump was pulling 130-140 amps where the working pump was drawing the normal 80-90 amps.  You will destroy a failing pump by continuing to use it.  I will "rebrush" both pump motors.

This and next week were already set aside for "dry docking" the sawmill for normal routine maintenance anyway so I am good with the time off.

I had intended to start a "Dry Dock" topic to detail the work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Each hydraulic pump has it's own wiring and solenoid from the contact strip to the pump.  Two complete and separate circuits.

Dave Shepard

Some hydraulic hoses may be smaller on a standard vs Super hydraulic. Velocity fuses may also be different.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TimW

I sure would like to have a faster up/down speed.  Especially up speed while sawing cants that scrap the wires on the throat opening.  Seems like I can shine my shoes while waiting for the head to raise.  No other time does it bug me.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

customsawyer

Quote from: Mooseherder on May 26, 2022, 07:59:34 PM
I just went in to look in Bibbyman's gallery.   Wow, what a wealth of knowledge there and in pictures!
This one was in his Mill modification and maintenance album.

I bought this same pump shortly after Bibby added his. He had already done all of the work getting the pressure and flow figured out so that saved me a lot of steps. The next one I bought I just got it through WM as they offer them now. I like them as they remove so much headache. You can get rid of the strip and have hyd. anywhere on the mill. You don't have to fight as many electrical problems and there isn't near as much wear on your alternators or batteries. If you saw for a living and are stationary they will pay for themselves in less than a year. You will have increased production and less down time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DWyatt

I believe that Dave Shepard is correct about the hydraulic hoses. Most of the hoses on the mill will need to be up-sized to get the full benefit of the second pump. 

DWyatt

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 18, 2017, 02:26:28 PMI have, in the past 5 years turned my mil into what I call an LT40 "almost" Super! I have 1)  added the second Hydraulic pump 2)  changed out the 1/4 hydraulic hose to 3/8 as required 3)  changed the carriage drive to the 3/4HP 4)  changed the lift motor to the new small frame 3/4HP 5)  added simple set 6)  added my version of FAOs 7)  added a green laser site (my own version with Woodmizer mounting hardware) *   My engine is not stock as I have access to RD software! currently set for 36HP

I hope I did this quote correctly. It's a post I found with a quick search from Bandmill Bandit that describes what he did to get his "Almost Super" LT40

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on May 27, 2022, 12:35:18 AMI sure would like to have a faster up/down speed.
Brandi, the SuperHydraulic mill has ¾ hp up/down motors as well as the powerfeed motor.  I believe that the standard hydraulic mill has ½ hp motors.

EDIT: After reading DWyatt's quote, I see where most all of the questions are answered.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!