iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made an offer on this today (up grades )

Started by Bruno of NH, March 08, 2020, 03:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Just got in touch with the injector guy.
He can rebuild them for $75 each 
Good or no ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Thanks folks
I need to learn who to do some of this stuff.
I can't afford to hire it out right now.
Will I lose my prime ?
Need to bleed the system ?
I don't know how to do that.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

chevytaHOE5674

Quick google turns up plenty of injectors for 50-75 bucks for a Perkins 4.236.

Is the engine oil overfull? Smell like diesel? 

Yes you will lose prime and need to bleed the system. Nothing to be worried about. If the machine has a lift pump with a manual lever you pump that until you get fuel to the bleeder on the pump. Then crank the machine over with the injector pressure lines lose until you get fuel there and it should fire. A good battery is a must.

Magicman

You need to be certain that you have injector problems before you start throwing $$$ at the problem.  I would be looking for someone to assist with diagnostics.  I realize that you are asking here, but proceed cautiously.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

Agreed. You can throw a lot of money in parts at it and not fix anything. Sometimes it's something cheap and simple.

Before going further you need to pinpoint where the smell is coming from? Any excess smoke on startup? External fuel leaks anyplace? Etc.

Bruno of NH

Corley5

It cleans up and runs fine after it's warmed up a bit?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Was it being used regularly before you bought it or had it been sitting a while?  I'd put new filters on it if you haven't already and run some fuel treatment through it.  Sea Foam would be my choice ;) :)

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah I would try filters and some treatment first before throwing hard parts at it.

Corley5

Stay with name brand injectors like Stanadyne if you need to go the replacement route.  I had an experience with cheap ones on a 6068 JD.  New ones are probably cheaper than having yours rebuilt.  If you have them rebuilt be sure he uses good parts. 

Bandmill Bandit

AFTER you change the filters and ad some seafoam or the like I would crack each of the nuts starting at the pump and let a bit of fuel leak out and re tighten. Do this with the engine at idle and make  sure you do every nut on the high pressure side of the fuel system. You'll want to do a pressure wash when done.

If you still have an issue after this it is either a pressure leak down down in the pump check valve or the injector tips are "slobbering" but this is a problem that generally shows up on well worn injectors. IF the system has been sitting for a very long time O ring can get dry and brittle and leak.

Find a good Injection service/rebuild shop and get them serviced. I find that good rebuild last better than OEM new.    
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bruno of NH

The machine has set for a long time .
It's doesn't do it when warmed up.
I will change the filters

Magicman

Some filters are designed/intended to be knocked and let the dust fall off.  I know that my sawmill and JD tractor are that way.  

The stink may be something that you might want to just consider living with, especially if the fix is more expensive than the smell.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Sometimes injectors will simply be stuck or not closing all the way due to fuel contamination or just sitting. So try the filters and treatment first. You may want to add some fuel treatment to the tank on a regular basis as that machine was made for fuel that had more sulfur in it which provided lubrication to the injection pump and injectors. Modern ULSD is not as gentle on the insides. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

Quote from: Southside on April 10, 2020, 06:37:37 PM
Sometimes injectors will simply be stuck or not closing all the way due to fuel contamination or just sitting. So try the filters and treatment first. You may want to add some fuel treatment to the tank on a regular basis as that machine was made for fuel that had more sulfur in it which provided lubrication to the injection pump and injectors. Modern ULSD is not as gentle on the insides.
ULSD is a very good point,  I add opti-lube to the fuel in my JD every time.
D

barbender

I haven't had any issues with ULSD on any of my older diesels. From what I understand, they have to add a lubrication additive to the fuel or it would toast the pumps and injectors of diesel engines new and old alike. If your fuel has a percentage of biodiesel in it, that's the best lubricity additive you can get from the studies I've seen. MN has I believe 5-10% bio, except for #1 offroad in the winter. So I don't worry to much about additives. Just my take on that🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Bruno, I used to drive a truck that had a 5.9 Cummins that we called "the Eyeburner" because it had a horrible raw fuel smell in the exhaust. It ended up having a broken ring so it was allowing a ton of blow by. But I also have a healthy 5.9 in another truck, and that son of a gun will make a smokescreen that looks like it was from an 80's heavy metal concert when started in the cold. It clears up good when it warms up though.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Bio-diesel is the bomb for sure.  Can't get it around here, even though everyone grows soybeans.  There is a place on I-70 in Missouri that has B99, my Duramax has never run better than when I feed it that.  My Franklin skidder has a 5.9 in it and does the same thing when first starting up but once warm it runs clean.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

We're 15% bio here and it is harder on stuff because it traps for contaminates such as water then what the standard fuel did. To the nozzle on the side of our Perkins block is a tag that has all the info you'll need to call your Perkins distribution center they might amaze you what the price of filters as well as nozzles are, I can get new nozzles cheaper then I ran get reman ones for. A quick down and dirty test for testing if fuel is in the crankcase is a white paper toilet fuel will separate from the oil on the white paper towel. 

g_man

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 11, 2020, 12:30:42 AM
We're 15% bio here and it is harder on stuff because it traps for contaminates such as water then what the standard fuel did. To the nozzle on the side of our Perkins block is a tag that has all the info you'll need to call your Perkins distribution center they might amaze you what the price of filters as well as nozzles are, I can get new nozzles cheaper then I ran get reman ones for. A quick down and dirty test for testing if fuel is in the crankcase is a white paper toilet fuel will separate from the oil on the white paper towel.

That is a tidbit worth remembering. Amazing what can be learned on here.

gg

Skeans1

Quote from: g_man on April 11, 2020, 09:58:43 AM
Quote from: Skeans1 on April 11, 2020, 12:30:42 AM

That is a tidbit worth remembering. Amazing what can be learned on here.

gg
One thing I forgot to add is you need to have the engine sitting for a while such as over night.

mike_belben

Metro fuel injection in agawam mass is 
 a good pump shop.  
Praise The Lord

Southside

I don't know - that toilet paper test might cost you more today than having a shop bench test the injectors.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 11, 2020, 05:01:19 AM
I know it's old but if I run it right and take care of it.
I hope it will serve me well.
We have it's older sister the M970. Gas. Love the machine, finding parts not so much, hate the motor. It's a beast. Save your self a lot of grief when it's wet and buy a set of tracks.
This is what we are dealing with right now.

Them 4 little bolts all sheared off on the front drive. 1 bolt was sheared of on the rear drive. Was hauling 6" surge to ring the inside of the pond so we don't lose the sand at the shore line that we hauled in. Was on an angle and those bolts don't like to be stressed with 2 ton of rock, plus the weight of the machine on a slope apparently. I don't know how long 1 or 2 were broke, but it sure let us know when it came apart.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 10, 2020, 04:53:27 PM
The machine has set for a long time .
It's doesn't do it when warmed up.
I will change the filters
When you change the filters, pour straight injector cleaner into the filter vs diesel fuel. That extra burst of cleaner does wonders for cleaning the injectors. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

chevytaHOE5674

Be careful pouring straight injector cleaner into your filters. Some cleaners are very "dry" and running it straight is about the worst thing you can do for an inj pump.

Thank You Sponsors!